Translating Wikipediocracy's Hersch on Blog Posts

For serious discussion of the "major" forum for Wikipedia criticism and how it fails.
Mutineer
Sucks Fan

Translating Wikipediocracy's Hersch on Blog Posts

Post by Mutineer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:00 am

HerschelKrustovsky wrote this stuff in March 2015.

1. Our audience is the world at large. Therefore, we want to avoid writing in an "insider" style, with lots of unexplained WikiJargon and insider references of the sort that might go over big at ANI.

TRANSLATION: "By describing my views as a majestic "our" and "we," even though it's just me, I hope to communicate that our trustees are modeled after Arbcom. That stuff about jargon and insider references is some baloney I just made up. "We" do that more than authors, actually.

2. Our objective is to give the layman an insight into the corruption and absurdity at WP -- not to use the blog as a vehicle for continuing a vendetta against the evil WP personality or personalities who blocked you/edited your favorite WP article.

TRANSLATION: "Actually, we love those sorts of articles, and we'll steal them from you if we like, and then block you if you complain, and rerun them months later without your permission."

3. Your article will be edited by some combination of the Wikipediocracy mods and trustees. If this is going to offend you, you probably shouldn't submit it. You can review the past 3 years of blog posts to get a sense of what the site management prefers, in terms of style and content.

TRANSLATION: "We adopt the Wikipedia model again. We edit you and crudely rewrite you as we like. And never mind that we asked you to submit an article on something, we'll portray it as you coming to us for a favor. And we haven't actually reviewed our last three years ourselves, we just want to bring home that we're the ones handing out assignments."

4. If you make a non-negotiable demand that your article must be accompanied by, say, a series of images from "South Park," that will probably cause some friction and reduce the chances of publication.

TRANSLATION: "Our stupidest trustee ripped up your article and rewrote it at 5th grade level, tossed out the quality image that you worked on, stuck in some extremely low-grade Jpegs that had absolutely nothing to do with what you wrote. But ours is better than yours because we're trustees, pretty much like arbs."

5. The first steps in submitting an article: you may send me a PM, describing what you have in mind, and I will run it by the site management team. That's optional. The next step is to send a draft version in the form of a PM, with sources linked for any claims that may be challenged. The site management will discuss it and possibly request additional material or documentation. Be sure to mention what byline you prefer.

TRANSLATION: "Even when I personally ask you to submit an article, without any remuneration, you should consider it as a favor to you. I, "Herschel Krustovsky," reserve the right in last event to take the sources and research you've done and that I've just asked you to provide, in an article modeled on yours, and with your links, but with my pseudonym in the byline, taking full credit."

Thanks,
Hersch

TRANSLATION: "I'm an ass and don't even participate at WO anymore, but another ass, Zoloft, has stepped up to do the above."
I am "Modsquad" here, and participate, but I don't want you to think we can't have an angry argument.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Re: Translating Wikipediocracy's Hersch on Blog Posts

Post by Flip Flopped » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:41 am

Haha, yes, that captures HK in a nutshell. I notice the re-booted WO says they want staff with somewhat mainstream views. That rules HK out, thankfully.