Ooh, wave the magic flag! There's a new blog post!

For serious discussion of the "major" forum for Wikipedia criticism and how it fails.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Ooh, wave the magic flag! There's a new blog post!

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:15 pm

http://wikipediocracy.com/2017/07/31/we ... rry-wales/

Greg complaining about Jimbo again....at least he shows some proof that Wikipedians don't handle "weasel words" very well. And of course the insiders already know about this and refuse to take any real action.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Re: Ooh, wave the magic flag! There's a new blog post!

Post by Flip Flopped » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:32 pm

ericbarbour wrote:http://wikipediocracy.com/2017/07/31/weasel-words-worry-wales/

Greg complaining about Jimbo again....at least he shows some proof that Wikipedians don't handle "weasel words" very well. And of course the insiders already know about this and refuse to take any real action.
I'm glad they are getting the blog running again, but it's a pretty weak article. I can't figure out why only Kohs has a byline but he uses "we" a lot in the text.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:14 am

Posted Aug 10:

http://wikipediocracy.com/2017/08/10/wh ... ia-part-1/

Actually not bad and contains some serious issues. Plus it mentions Minassian. No doubt this was posted on the admin IRC channel and they said "It's Kingsindian, ignore it, he's an idiot".

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:17 am

ericbarbour wrote:Posted Aug 10:

http://wikipediocracy.com/2017/08/10/wh ... ia-part-1/

Actually not bad and contains some serious issues. Plus it mentions Minassian. No doubt this was posted on the admin IRC channel and they said "It's Kingsindian, ignore it, he's an idiot".
Yes, KI is their best writer. I'm looking forward to his next post. So the WP admins underestimate him. I wish he'd get pissed off enough to really quit WP.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Thankfully Greg wrote an actually-useful post:

http://wikipediocracy.com/2017/08/30/wh ... wikipedia/

Kicking off with Jason Miller, who quit his communications position within Donald Trump’s post-election organization in late December 2016, he suffers an ignominious blurb in his Wikipedia biography: “He also fathered a child with A. J. Delgado during a brief extra-marital liaison, born six months after his second child.” That’s a rather harsh reality to have memorialized for posterity in an encyclopedia article. Oddly enough, even though Miller was most notable as an encyclopedia topic in the time prior to 2017, his biography was only created on January 1, 2017, after he had already quit working for Donald Trump and arguably became less famous. Within a day, the Miller bio was being edited by a User:Politico16, who three months later would be indefinitely blocked from editing for “abusing multiple accounts”. In February 2017, the Miller bio underwent a complete overhaul re-write by a User:GaryWMaloney, who by reasonable account appears to be Republican political consultant, Gary Maloney. (Maloney also has a Wikipedia biography that he’s edited. It was created by another user who devoted some years to polishing the Wikipedia bio of Liz Cheney.) Miller, while currently employed by Teneo, spent many years at Jamestown Associates, a consulting firm with strong ties to Donald Trump and other Republican leaders. Jamestown’s Wikipedia article was constructed in just a few days by a User:Wuchizm, who never so much as corrected a spelling mistake on any other Wikipedia article not related to Jamestown Associates. In March 2015, the Jamestown article got ample attention from a User:Pitcherreport, adding awards that the firm has won, which to our eye looks like it could be the work of a paid editor based in India. And remember User:GaryWMaloney and blocked editor User:Politico16? They’ve both worked on the Jamestown Associates article, too.

I routinely see things like this. PR people often do a bad job of hiding their activities on WP. And Greg can brag about "Twitter impressions" all he wants, this post STILL did not attract enough attention. Especially the attention of journalists who have bitched about Trump for the past year. An embarrassing item about Republican WP biasing is handed to the media on a plate and they still don't care.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:22 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
I routinely see things like this. PR people often do a bad job of hiding their activities on WP. And Greg can brag about "Twitter impressions" all he wants, this post STILL did not attract enough attention. Especially the attention of journalists who have bitched about Trump for the past year. An embarrassing item about Republican WP biasing is handed to the media on a plate and they still don't care.

No! Nobody cares. And why? That is what me wonders!

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:37 pm

Graaf Statler wrote:
ericbarbour wrote:

No! Nobody cares. And why? That is what me wonders!
Yes, it's mystifying. Even Facebook has finally begun to receive the scrutiny of journalists. Journalists still seem to treat Wikipedia as immutable and inevitable.