Giraffe Stapler tries to persuade people to register, with hilarious results

For serious discussion of the "major" forum for Wikipedia criticism and how it fails.
Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

Giraffe Stapler tries to persuade people to register, with hilarious results

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:39 pm

https://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewto ... 16&t=12232
* Did you even know that there are member's only parts of the forum? That's so they aren't accessible to Google or other search engines. If you want to read those parts, all you have to do is sign up. It's not a trick - no one is trying to harvest your precious IP data or any nonsense like that you may have heard on Wikipedia.
What a great opportunity to remind people of the remarkable similarities between how Wikipedia treats new users, and how Wikipediocracy does....

* New users are banned if they mention certain forbidden topics.

* New users have their private data inspected to see if they are from an area, ISP, or even an entire country, that has previously dared post about subjects the regulars don't want being mentioned.

* Although there are documented means of discretely reporting such things to Admins, suspected socks are instead, and with the full consent of Admins, publicly harassed and bullied until they either leave, or the noise becomes so loud a block can be placed in order to avoid "disruption".

Yeah, I don't think anyone from Wikipedia needs to be told what Wikipediocracy does with people's private data.

It will all feel very familiar.

Even the shameless way the chosen ones flaunt it....
Moral_Hazard wrote:Usually we welcome and encourage new accounts. And we even have a welcome sign.

However, new accounts showing up in IceWhiz threads merit instant banning and piss offs.
(I didn't have to go looking for that, unsurprisingly, it was just part of their daily output today, just as such daily shows of insider/outsider based aggression are a feature of Wikipedia)

They have worked hard to make the place feel like a home from home for pieces of shit like Beeblebrox and Black Kite.

And just like Wikipedia, they really do seem genuinely surprised that serious Wikipedia critics hate them for it.

Poor old Jake.

CANT A GUY JUST RUN A PRIVATE CLUB ANYMOOOOORRRRREEEE?

:lol:

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Giraffe Stapler tries to persuade people to register, with hilarious results

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:28 am

Jake Is A Sellout wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:39 pm
* New users are banned if they mention certain forbidden topics.

* New users have their private data inspected to see if they are from an area, ISP, or even an entire country, that has previously dared post about subjects the regulars don't want being mentioned.

* Although there are documented means of discretely reporting such things to Admins, suspected socks are instead, and with the full consent of Admins, publicly harassed and bullied until they either leave, or the noise becomes so loud a block can be placed in order to avoid "disruption".
Of course they can do these things. The forum software logs IP addresses and browser data automatically--despite being heavily modified from the original open-source. When I was still there, they rarely bothered to check the log files. Now they probably watch EVERY new account carefully. WPO's newfound paranoia about "disruptive" users is classic Wikipedia-insider appeasement.

I think this forum might be the last public place anyone can log in and start whistleblowing or openly critiquing WP or the WMF. Even Twitter censors WP criticism. They will deny it, but many former WP admins and WMF employees are now working at Twitter.

Everyone with a website and an axe to grind logs IP addresses and browser agent strings. "oohhh, i can spy on everyone!!" I've yet to see an active Facebook group for WP criticism either.