Did You Know, Wikipediocracy has a blog team, and some bloke named Cockram leads it?

For serious discussion of the "major" forum for Wikipedia criticism and how it fails.
Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

Did You Know, Wikipediocracy has a blog team, and some bloke named Cockram leads it?

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:34 pm

Wow. Look what a certain Mr. Cockram alerted me to today....

https://eu.providencejournal.com/story/ ... 258174001/
Questions about the accuracy of Alahverdian’s Wikipedia page began a few months ago when the blog site Wikipediocracy — which says it exists to expose “the torrent of misinformation” in the popular online encyclopedia — noticed changes being made to Alahverdian’s page, says Wikipediocracy blog team member Michael Cockram.

....Cockram, who lives in England, says what raised a red flag with his team members was that...

Cockram says his Wikipediocracy team received a long email ....
This is in a newspaper currently being used in a BLP/D on Wikipedia, and given what we know about Michael Cockram, he would never knowingly allow a source that doesn't have the highest standards of accuracy, to be used in a Wikipedia BLP/D.

Yeah right.

Unless it is true that Wikipediocracy has a blog team, and their boss, or at least their nominated first among equals and nominated media spokesperson, is Michael Cockram.

:shock:

I can't wait to learn more about this team. Including their thoughts on whether they belong to Mr. Cockram or he speaks for them.

At best, this surely only refers to the people who check the submissions before being published, because we know anyone is allowed to write a blog for them, you don't even need to be a member of their forum.

Who knows what went on here. But what we know about the Wikipediocracy blog team leader, it's a fair bet he was deliberately trying to mislead this journalist into presenting Wikipediocracy as something it isn't. Not that even "blog team" implies much, but I'm quite sure it meant more to this journalist's use of it that reality can support.

But where Wikipedia goes, Wikipediocracy surely follows. If a journalist doesn't ask, if they make an assumption in your favour, you don't correct. And that's the nice interpretation of what went on.

Worth noting that this piece materially affected their blog, namely it allowed them to put the piece about this guy back up after they got scared and took it down. Now isn't that a coincidence!

rog
Sucks Fan

Re: Did You Know, Wikipediocracy has a blog team, and some bloke named Cockram leads it?

Post by rog » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:39 pm

A distressed Crow viciously autosodomized by his own haterboner wrote:
Who knows what went on here.

Not you, clearly.

Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

Re: Did You Know, Wikipediocracy has a blog team, and some bloke named Cockram leads it?

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:54 pm

rog wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:39 pm
A distressed Crow viciously autosodomized by his own haterboner wrote: Who knows what went on here.
Not you, clearly.
Fill us in then.

We're all ears.

Went well last time, you being open and honest about your methods. :lol:

Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:27 am

An awkward first conversation for team leader Cockram.

How do you gently remind Hemenchuia that when he's writing up this issue for a blog post....

https://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewto ... 16&t=12251

.....he should really also point out, in the interests of full disclosure, that what he did (edit war with the suspected subject of an article who was making a clear claim of libel, and did so with outrageous insulting edit summaries "I hardly think your opinion matters", "Your opinion is irrelevant)"), is the exact opposite of what an experienced editor is supposed to do.

Just one of the many advantages of retaining and rewarding talent which flies above the cult, rather than being an active and thus really quite blind member of it.

I mean, shit, I guarantee Hemenchuia thinks what he did is not only perfectly fine, the fucking moron probably hasn't even heard of the policies he has violated, let alone even understands why they exist.

And to be fair, how would he have? His moral leadership on Wikipedia and on Wikipediocracy, is Beeblebrox, someone with even less giving of fucks regarding simple but serious things like what do you do when someone alleges Wikipedia has libelled them?

Wikipedia being unable to stop its established editors being such utter counterproductive dicks who thoughtlessly inflame and needlesly aggravate potentially serious issues, being a well known flaw of their chosen model of self governance.

Shit like this offends me, masquerading as it does as serious critique rather than what it is, and I have no doubt it pisses Andreas off too.

We can't share a platform with such shite.

So here they are. Well and truly scraping the barrel.

I mean, as well as his less than truthful accounting of his own role, it's going to be very easy for anyone to demolish crap like this....
These allegations were only added to article in July, by infrequently active user Forsooth1234 (T-C-L)
Infrequently active? A virtual SPA in their own right, just working at cross purposes to the alleged subject.

Hemenchuia saw a fight. He didn't stop it, he joined it. He saw only the person trying to defend themselves against Wikipedia, and gave no thought to whether Wikipedia might be being abused in the other direction, the most obvious candidate being the Vanity Fair writer who seems more than a little invested in this story.

None of the detection or reporting systems worked, until, ironically, the subject themselves tried to get their own article protected, and even after it was relatively well advertised as a potential problem, still nothing went as it should.

It seems debatable whether even the version Hemenchuia has edited a lot, is compliant with BLP, certainly prior to the reporting of charges being filed. The prior articles which Hemenchuia presents as accusations in Wikipedia voice, come from "art gossip" and copy littered with red flags like "sources say". But hey, ban the Daily Mail and pretend like you have a clue! :lol:

It seems unlikely these will be the angles our intrepid author will take. The continuing unintended consequences of the Mail ban definitely being out of bounds for the team leader.

Hard to even see what the potential hook is. What's he actually criticising?

If they're not careful, this might read as just another 'here's some dumb shit that happened on Wikipedia, no different to the other times we've shown you this sort of dumb shit, including very similar stuff, but we're presenting no overarching theme or point, save the same old never going to happen and never would work anyway proposed reforms' type story.

Aka, click bait. Churnalism. Hey, maybe they even fancy it as being some sort of Lifestyle content? The harrowing struggles of Hemenchuia, just one of Wikipedia's many faceless heros, that sort of shite.

With a specific audience in mind. As the blog, thanks to Cockram, noted a while back.....
...we can now say that the blog series also serves to make an additional point, which is that Wikipedians really, really don’t like being messed with by self-promoters. (And to be fair, who does?)
....perhaps this was the next logical step? Let the outraged Wikipedia editors use their blog to light up self promoters. Cut out the middle man.

Perhaps they even imagine they might have a hand in capturing an international fugitive and bring him to justice for his serious crimes? Art fraud Abuse of Wikipedia.

You think I'm making this shit up? Spoiler alert....
Hemenchuia wrote:What I found interesting is that Panghea/Rosa was editing while his whereabouts were unknown only a month prior to the indictment, if he's not smart and used a VPN, potentially his IP address could reveal his location.
Delusional.

Wikipedia is now education, health, freedom and law enforcement!

Or, y'know, IT'S NEVER BEEN ANY OF THOSE THINGS.

It never even met its first goal (to be an encyclopedia, lest we forget).

This is a pretty low standard from which to relaunch their already de facto dead blog.

These pricks used to criticise me for detailing only insider baseball stuff. Unfortunately for them, as I began to examine the wider themes, there was only one conclusion, and it showed Wikipediocracy were part of the problem.

Too many posts making the mistake of thinking Wikipedia and Wikipedia editors can ever be the good guys, that there can be some tinkering to make the bad less bad, the useful more useful.

Too many posters like Hemenchuia, who don't want to hear and CANT FUCKING DEAL with the news that actually, they suck, and their efforts to keep Wikipedia alive as they pretend their sad little addiction has some higher minded purpose, is only harming everyone, everyday.

It has no fucking use.

They can't do BLPs.

Nothing can stop incidents like this repeating over and over. The editors of Wikipedia aren't ever going to be any better at this encyclopedia writing stuff than useless fucking turds like Hemenchuia.

If this isn't inside baseball, tales from the coal face, by Mr Miner, what is? Written by Wikipedia editors for Wikipedia editors. Of no wider interest save the superficial.

Probably better left to SignPost (who on current evidence might reject it as too banal!, relegating it to just random news and notes, saving thier blog space for whatever Andress is working on next).
Zoloft wrote:I would enjoy a blog post a month, as we did back years ago.
:roll:

I have an idea. Reverse every single strategic decision made in those years, and you might yet get there.

rog
Sucks Fan

Post by rog » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:17 am

ProJo wrote:Alahverdian’s widow charges that Wikipediocracy members themselves made changes to her husband’s page, seeding the allegation “that they suspect he is not dead.”

She says they threatened to further smear her husband’s reputation with more bogus edits to the Wikipedia page unless the Alahverdian family paid extortion money in Bitcoin currency.

“First they claim my husband did all of these edits on Wikipedia himself,” she wrote, “then we receive extortion demands to stop the untrue edits and claims on Wikipedia.”

Cockram says those allegations are “frankly, [expletive] crazy and obviously untrue.”
It's probably ok to say it now. Those allegations were true.
We extorted well over $125,000 in Bitcoin from Alahverdian's 'widow'.

Our most lucrative shakedown yet!

Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:00 am

Jake Is A Sellout wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:34 pm
Wow. Look what a certain Mr. Cockram alerted me to today....

https://eu.providencejournal.com/story/ ... 258174001/
Questions about the accuracy of Alahverdian’s Wikipedia page began a few months ago when the blog site Wikipediocracy — which says it exists to expose “the torrent of misinformation” in the popular online encyclopedia — noticed changes being made to Alahverdian’s page, says Wikipediocracy blog team member Michael Cockram.

....Cockram, who lives in England, says what raised a red flag with his team members was that...

Cockram says his Wikipediocracy team received a long email ....
This is in a newspaper currently being used in a BLP/D on Wikipedia, and given what we know about Michael Cockram, he would never knowingly allow a source that doesn't have the highest standards of accuracy, to be used in a Wikipedia BLP/D.

Yeah right.

Unless it is true that Wikipediocracy has a blog team, and their boss, or at least their nominated first among equals and nominated media spokesperson, is Michael Cockram.

:shock:

I can't wait to learn more about this team. Including their thoughts on whether they belong to Mr. Cockram or he speaks for them.

At best, this surely only refers to the people who check the submissions before being published, because we know anyone is allowed to write a blog for them, you don't even need to be a member of their forum.

Who knows what went on here. But what we know about the Wikipediocracy blog team leader, it's a fair bet he was deliberately trying to mislead this journalist into presenting Wikipediocracy as something it isn't. Not that even "blog team" implies much, but I'm quite sure it meant more to this journalist's use of it that reality can support.

But where Wikipedia goes, Wikipediocracy surely follows. If a journalist doesn't ask, if they make an assumption in your favour, you don't correct. And that's the nice interpretation of what went on.

Worth noting that this piece materially affected their blog, namely it allowed them to put the piece about this guy back up after they got scared and took it down. Now isn't that a coincidence!

rog
Sucks Fan

Post by rog » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:33 am

butt

hurt

Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:41 pm

rog wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:33 am
butt

hurt
And now we see why you came here.

Looking for young boys to be a DADDY to.

You really are what they say you are.

:oops:

How fitting that you now share a break room with Kumioko.

Two pedo banned bastards going after little old me!

All because I make you mad with just my words.

:ugeek:

Oh dear. :)

Reported.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:05 am

HE DID NOT REPORT TO ANYONE. IGNORE THE ABOVE.

You just got to have the last fucking word, don't ya?

Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:39 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:05 am
HE DID NOT REPORT TO ANYONE. IGNORE THE ABOVE.

You just got to have the last fucking word, don't ya?
All my reports are filed with the official Mods here. If they keep their boss out the loop because they secretly hate him, well, there 'ain't much I can do about that!