Zoloft steps down from moderating

For serious discussion of the "major" forum for Wikipedia criticism and how it fails.
The End
Sucks Fan

Re: Zoloft steps down from moderating

Post by The End » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:21 am

CrowsNest wrote:He's disappeared. No posts since those I highlighted on March 5th. I guess he finally realised it's harder than it looks to generate high quality critical content (so you're a fool if you treat people who can like fucking mugs), and the place doesn't really need another poster who can only offer fluff.

The ungrateful fucks don't even seem to realise he's gone. Don't they appreciate what he does for them, saving them from the unpleasant experience of cold hard reality bursting their little fantasy bubbles?

I hope someone has his contact details, in case his absence has another more serious explanation than this.

He may be still posting the staff/mod forums. Someone with an active account can login and see if he's still in the staff or mod group. If he's still in one of those groups, then he hasn't "left" yet. Dialing down his participation? Maybe. But until you completely resign all advanced permissions and go into self-exile, no one can definitively say you are gone. That's what I learned early on with Wikipedia.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"I am a dark bouquet of neuroses..."
- Jerry Holkins, Penny Arcade

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:23 pm

He's back! Three whole posts today.

A post that looks suspiciously like an attempt at moderation...

http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtop ... 17#p216817

A joke YouTube video...

http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtop ... 18#p216818

A pethetic attempt to show how he is so over me.....

http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtop ... 19#p216819

You can't ignore me Zoloft. You don't take this guy for a fool and get away with it. How many times do you need to be told?

Now to business. When the fuck are you gonna start posting some actual Wikipedia criticism? What the fuck have you been doing the last twelve days?

As your protectee Poetlister is helpfully illustrating by spamming the board with his news items (if you're still modding, you could at least tell him you don't need a brand new thread for every single story when it's just a cookie cutter press release on a common theme - create a running thematic thread and just update it like any normal person would), the threats posed by Wikipedia aren't going away. If anything they're getting worse. You're either committed to the idea there needs to be an independent platform fighting back, or you're not.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:45 am

Just six more posts this week. Only one can really be called Wikipedia criticism.....
http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtop ... 41#p217041
Given the current competency level of most potential Arbcom 'candidates', I'd vote for NYB again. Kumioko, do you have some physical or electronic evidence of your allegations against NYB?
Seems like an admission that he is part of the problem - who the hell votes for Brad when the only rational choice given the candidates is N.O.T.A.? And the request to Kumioko seems more like it is aimed at shutting down criticism of Brad than of exposing him. Quite surprised, after all this time, he doesn't remember Kumi's story, or know where to look for clarification (one of the downsides of being crap at curating the content of a forum I guess).

He has clearly not stopped being a moderator, as this extremely disturbing announcement shows......
http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtop ... 45#p217045
New Wikipediocracy policy: Don't use pictures of underage children in your avatars. Yes, we had two previous instances. Yes, it contributed to their being banned here. Also, no animated GIFs as avatars either.

Thank you and have a nice day.
I suppose it could be a joke, he didn't post it in the admin section but the thread in question. No smilies though, so he must be serious. This is fucked up, anyone know what these other cases are that he's talking about?

I'm loving the fact they're so hard up for members they're letting Guido join (or letting Poetlister pretend to be him for a bit of light relief)......although as can be seen, if it is him, they're not so much offering sympathy and assistance (Kumioko aside, but only for the usual reasons), but trolling and insulting him, up to and including calling him a pedophile. I suppose it offers some variety, they can't keep calling their fellow members they don't like alt-right Nazi stooges or whatever it was, it gets tedious after a while.

For a forum which is apparently deliberately trying to keep up good relations with the mucky mucks of Wikipedia because they apparently see some benefit to it, they sure did waste this golden opportunity presented to them - a twice banned Wikipedian turns up and says ArbCom is ignoring his emailed appeals - rather than using their contacts to verify the details and perhaps turn this into a story of how the Right of Appeal to ArbCom is non-existent (since it has been well established that their email backlog issue isn't anywhere near as bad as it used to be, so they can no longer plausibly claim to have simply nor seen it or had time to discuss it), they produce this pile of shit.

Archiving, because you know they're gonna want to memory hole it.....

http://archive.is/GK63z

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:13 am

Forgot to add, one of those posts was more detail on his wonderful visit to Wikimania. It was mostly the usual guff where he tries to argue that if you just treat the cult nicely, they'll reciprocate and let you engage with them. It surely cannot now be in any doubt that whatever benefits it reaped him personally, it didn't seemingly do anything to benefit the cause of Wikipedia criticism, broadly construed.

I don't think it's an accident he can only really point to imagined benefits......
I was a panel member on a Wikipedia security conference that had been angling to enact more sanctions and rules against critics. Having a critic on the panel may have quashed that.

Citation needed, as they say......

The End
Sucks Fan

Post by The End » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:44 am

We used to allow animated gifs on the old Wikipedia Review. I guess someone crossed a line somewhere. That's always how it goes. Someone ruins it for everyone.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:59 am

<-- the offending .gif

If it's annoying, I'll change it here too.

The End
Sucks Fan

Post by The End » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:16 am

sashi wrote:<-- the offending .gif

If it's annoying, I'll change it here too.

No one has to look at them. They can go to: User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> Edit Display Options -> Display avatars. If it's causing some technical problem, the sysops here would likely have already contacted you by now.

Qwerty
Sucks

Post by Qwerty » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:02 am

So Zoloft is offt from moderating? I liked him. He was a gentleman. I speak in the past tense, as of someone departed, but he may have enterred on a new incarnation, where he could find God or something like that, in which case he has arrived, not gone.

I haven't posted at Wikipediocracy for yonks, and almost yonks here too. I must say, the heat from this place is pretty extreme at times. You guys have to be careful not to become what you hate (an old topos). My memory of Wikipedia, which is pre-yonks by a yonks-like margin, is of an army of Vandals on the march, or army ants, where everyone is subject to the command-and-control structure of DISTANCE, like having someone shout at you over a wireless while you are careering about in a tank, or twiddling their antennae in yours, an exchange of formic acid, because ordinary humanity is forgotten in the fog or atomised crap of war or whatever it is that goes on online.

Anyway, back to Zoloft - I liked him. I don't know what went on behind the scenes. Possibly he had his antennae tangled in the nastiness sometimes, or pulled the trigger unnecessarily on occasions, but that is what happens across large DISTANCEs. And so RIP Zoloft.

Auggie
Sucks

Post by Auggie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:59 pm

No way! Zoloft is done?

How he kept at that grind so religiously for so many years is a mystery to me. Same goes for Midsize Jake and Poetlister.

Hopefully he finds something else to do more worthy of his time.

Mutineer
Sucks Fan

Post by Mutineer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:36 am

Qwerty wrote:So Zoloft is offt from moderating? I liked him. He was a gentleman.

The question is whether a Wikipedia advocate should be running a supposed Wikipedia criticism website.

My hope for wikipediasucks.co is that people don't come here to toy with Wikipedia, they come here to destroy Wikipedia.
I am "Modsquad" here, and participate, but I don't want you to think we can't have an angry argument.