Wikipediocracy goofs

For serious discussion of the "major" forum for Wikipedia criticism and how it fails.
CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Wikipediocracy goofs

Post by CrowsNest » Thu May 10, 2018 1:06 pm

If you're thinking of evading a block on Wikipedia by simply resetting your modem (to obtain a new IP), as a Wikipediocracy poster (of 175 posts) recently said.....

http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtop ... 22#p218422

Just don't.

Wikipedia recently introduced (or to be accurate, expanded) their use of cookies to make sure blocked devices stay blocked, regardless of their IP or whether the user registers an account (the previous case) or not (the current case).

As an aside, the WMF has said the placing of such cookies on EU citizens' machines without prior informed consent, is legal. IANAL, but I doubt it, given at least in certain circumstances, they're unlikely to be of a "limited persistent nature". And as we know, even if policy is explicit in what they can and can't do to stay within the law, their practices mean this knowledge is not necessarily posessed by those who need to know it, or respected by those who do.

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T152462

http://ec.europa.eu/ipg/basics/legal/co ... dex_en.htm

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Re: Wikipediocracy goofs

Post by CrowsNest » Fri May 11, 2018 9:35 am

Glad to be of service, Ca$hBag :lol: :roll:

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Fri May 11, 2018 10:00 am

No problem! Romaine will fix everything with his big fat mouth on his Big Fat Brussels Meetings. The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the copyright issue, what was the reason they trolled me out, and the cookies issue on EU citizens' machines. Don't worry, in one thousand year is everything solved with the help of Ymnes and arbcom.
They have such a professional team, you won't believe it over there. yes, really they have! Don't worry, be happy.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Fri May 11, 2018 4:40 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
The cookie policy actually includes one that "Helps us enforce autoblocks, a system used to prevent vandalism and disruption". https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Cookie_statement

Possibly enough to make it legal. Possibly not. Can't think why anyone with any sense would want to take it to court though, since the damages for 'not being able to edit Wikipedia for 24 hours after being blocked' would be minimal.

And again someone who doesn't know how the European systems are functioning. This is not a court matter, this is a matter of one on line from for everybody who is living in the EU. And second, the change I get caught in Holland for drinking and driving is very low, mabey the police checked me two or three times in my whole life. But that doesn't mean I can drive when I have drunk to much alcohol! Its a very strange mentality, possibly enough to make it legal, possibly not, so I don't care as an American Foundation and do whatever I want. And also very weird I can't react there by the way.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Fri May 11, 2018 11:07 pm

Andy truly is a their resident moron, no way he would have a handle on an issue as complex as that (the penalty for breaking the EU cookie law would of course have fuck all to do with what it prevented you from doing, it's about privacy). He had absolutely no idea that a grade schooler could literally code a filter to disallow "Anna-Christina Schwartz" as a title, but permit "Alexander & Anna Schwartz Farm". An absolute mong, his behaviour only made worse by the utter tantrum he threw when he had this basic fact pointed out to him.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:29 pm

Poetlister wrote:Of course, what she needs is an experienced Wikipedian, maybe one living in England and willing to help young brunettes. Does anyone know of such a person?
Pro-tip guyz - if you're gonna talk about identified female Wikipedians in creepy ways on your forum, make sure they're in on your weird jokes (obsessions). I'm quite sure there's only twenty or so people on this planet who appreciate this comment is intended as a dig at Jimmy Wales, and not something more disturbing. Not that the true meaning isn't a disturbing window into what they call critical analysis anyway. Better yet, just don't talk like this at all, you creepy weirdos.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Based on recent threads, I feel further Public Service Announcements are in order.

1. A newly created Wikipedia page instantly appears on Google, typically as the top result. Not every single time, but often enough, and in such a way, that the times it does not, cannot be feasibly anything other than the familiar phenomena of ghosts in the machine, i.e. non-intended outcomes. The implications for this regarding how their black box algorithm likely works, and thus their exposure to antitrust law, are obvious. If you can't see it, you're really no expert in anything, least of all Wikipedia.

2. The EU GDPR applies to anyone collecting personal data. Being able to link that to a person's name or address using your own database is not a prerequisite to defining things like an IP address or the countless other bits and pieces the WMF records, as personal data covered by the regulation. This is literally in the official FAQ, and it makes sense given the case law identified by Dysklyver (the regulation applies to anyone who has the legal means to be able to use one to obtain the other, as the WMF has). It also makes sense given a big reason for the GDPR existing is to minimise the damage of a data breach, since it is now well known what bad actors can do even with partial information. None of this is hard to figure out. There is a reason why the WMF has remained tight lipped about their obligations under the GDPR and what user's rights actually are, and it's not because they have none, or are still unsure. And their exposure is only increasing, since as this thread identified above, they are only ever seemingly increasing their abilities to tie collected data together and track users, in contrast to the way someone not remotely interested in who the person is at the other end of the line would approach the issue of personal data.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:26 pm

CrowsNest wrote:
2. The EU GDPR applies to anyone collecting personal data. Being able to link that to a person's name or address using your own database is not a prerequisite to defining things like an IP address or the countless other bits and pieces the WMF records, as personal data covered by the regulation. This is literally in the official FAQ, and it makes sense given the case law identified by Dysklyver (the regulation applies to anyone who has the legal means to be able to use one to obtain the other, as the WMF has). It also makes sense given a big reason for the GDPR existing is to minimise the damage of a data breach, since it is now well known what bad actors can do even with partial information. None of this is hard to figure out. There is a reason why the WMF has remained tight lipped about their obligations under the GDPR and what user's rights actually are, and it's not because they have none, or are still unsure. And their exposure is only increasing, since as this thread identified above, they are only ever seemingly increasing their abilities to tie collected data together and track users, in contrast to the way someone not remotely interested in who the person is at the other end of the line would approach the issue of personal data.

Hi Crow, I am back home. And for that reason I said don't be WMF's fool. Let them hire there own CU's, and let them not fuck you!