The Wikipediocracy dead pool

For serious discussion of the "major" forum for Wikipedia criticism and how it fails.
The End
Sucks Fan

Re: The Wikipediocracy dead pool

Post by The End » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:24 pm

ericbarbour wrote:Apparently he made Tarantino a sysop. Yeah, that's a good idea....a guy who's so paranoid he only uses TOR to access the public internet.....

WHAT!? Sysops have access to IPs. There were a lot of people upset that Tarantino was made a mod and they had to be assured he wouldn't have IP access. Now he most certainly does. This is going to make more people upset.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"I am a dark bouquet of neuroses..."
- Jerry Holkins, Penny Arcade

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:40 pm

And to be honest it looks like a bunch of people aren't posting there anymore. I personally never really had a problem with Tarantino, but I do understand that some people would be nervous since he has outed people in the past.
#BbbGate

The End
Sucks Fan

Post by The End » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:10 am

Kumioko wrote:And to be honest it looks like a bunch of people aren't posting there anymore. I personally never really had a problem with Tarantino, but I do understand that some people would be nervous since he has outed people in the past.

On WR, moderators did have access to IPs. It didn't matter much since most there either used TOR, used dynamic IPs, or used their real names. Others just didn't care. I could never glean much from IPs when I was a mod. Individuals like Tarantino, though, are good at piecing together information and finding out who's who. If he is a staff member now, it'll be easier for him to investigate. I'm personally not paranoid anymore. A few WPOers know my name and I've not exactly been best at hiding information about myself. Others might feel differently.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:07 am

I'm not sure that WO did promote tarantino to an Admin. Barbour seems to have more information. Tarantino could do a lot with access to IP addresses and the Admin email account. It's perplexing.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:08 am

Just reexamined this thread. Even though his profile says "Habitue", Tarantino's username is green, meaning he's a moderator and not a sysop. So he can't see IPs right now--supposedly. A month ago his name was in blue. Maybe there's a board management screw-up or a bug. Go figure.

At present only "admin", Zoloft and Jake have sysop access and can see IP addresses (unless Z managed to hack the code so mods can see IPs). WO's code is heavily modified so you can't assume it is like this or other forums.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:05 am

I'm giving them another year, tops. They never updated their blog after December, they lost Hex, and Billy Burns uses his lack of height to comfortably peep through keyholes on the front doors of older houses in North Park, Kensington, La Jolla, and on Coronado Island when he isn't selling tourists the deed to the Zona Norte in Tijuana.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:43 pm

You know I'm still not really that sure why all the fuss about seeing IP's. These days the IP isn't really worth much. I routinely edit wikipedia looking like I am in Ireland or Norway; When I do edit with an IP, I usually do so assuming I will be CU'ed and that IP and the entire range will be blocked for some length of time.

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you know they can see your IP, then there are things you can do to spoof that so that what they see isn't real.
#BbbGate

AndrewForson
Sucks Critic

Post by AndrewForson » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:46 pm

It's easy enough in the UK: most of the big mobile providers give you a new IP address for each session. Randomising the user agent string is the next step. Do we have a handy guide to evading Checkuser readily available?

The End
Sucks Fan

Post by The End » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:50 pm

Kumioko wrote:You know I'm still not really that sure why all the fuss about seeing IP's. These days the IP isn't really worth much. I routinely edit wikipedia looking like I am in Ireland or Norway; When I do edit with an IP, I usually do so assuming I will be CU'ed and that IP and the entire range will be blocked for some length of time.

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you know they can see your IP, then there are things you can do to spoof that so that what they see isn't real.

It may not matter if Tarantino can see IPs or not. He's always been frighteningly good at deducing people's identities. But you can understand how giving him the ability to see IPs could make people paranoid.

Speaking of paranoia, does your admission mean that several Irish and Norwegian editors are suddenly going to find themselves blocked as "Kumioko socks?" :)