The SignPost

Because no one else is doing it--not even the media.
CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Re: The SignPost

Post by CrowsNest » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:44 am

sashi wrote:I wondered if there was any intelligence here in the batcave on how folks like Gamaliel & Kudpung & Smallbones ended up running the trypto-floundering ''Signpost''. Is Mr. Troutman responsible as his name might suggest? Most perplexing.
Are you looking for an answer any more complicated than, they put their names forward? As has been obvious for some time, The Signpost is something all the Wikipedians want to have, but only if they don't have to lift a finger. As such, whoever wants the job, gets the job. If two people want it, they don't choose the best, they just become co-EiC's. Of course, knowing that there is a vacancy is tricky, the last two coeds apparently having left without telling anyone. Much like all volunteer roles in the cult, editor of the SignPost is an easy come, easy go gig. Those who do it, generally only do so because they have an internal axe to grind, which explains Gamaliel (civil warfare), Kudpung (RfA "reform") and now Smallbones (paid editing). Hence their lack of interest in ensuring a core feature like "In The Media" is properly done.
sashi wrote:WS seems not to have covered these articles either, unless I'm mistaken (which is certainly possible).
Yeah, well, it's been a busy time. Some douchebag named Fram got shitcanned, the Wikipedians went batshit crazy, and I viewed my role as a serious critic to first and foremost explain these events, and counter the propaganda efforts of Wikipediocracy, who seem to think harassment is cool, especially if it gives them a chance to frighten women. A such, regularly scheduled programming such as explaining the never ending politically motivated turf wars of the wiki necessarily has to take a back seat.

I see merit in Smallbones request that you become a beat reporter. If you can accept him editing your work. Give it a try. What's the worst that could happen, you get The SignPost shut down as an Enemy of the WikiState, and/or you get banned for engaging in truthful reporting? That would be fine by me, I can add that to the many past and very recent incidents that have shown it is not and never will be accepted by the hardcore cultists as an exercise independent journalism. And that would surely be of interest to the real media.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:23 pm

CN wrote:I see merit in Smallbones request that you become a beat reporter.

Oh do be careful, your phraseology is becoming almost wikiputian, and I don't need a pimp to get me into trouble with the various Johns that be. :o

That said, I just did a survey of some Left media (1) and it's... still... crickets all the way down. I don't know what to do, or what I can do, but since the KingoFaces / Tryptofish affair, I've decided to back off on the wixycontin and either give up or get to work. I saw Pudeo has tried to add those articles to next month's edition, with only the slightest hint of flavor to get it past the censor. We'll see if he has any luck.

The 20-year retrospective book Tim proposed is a good exercise in focus, at least. Have you been consulted? You're one of the few that could bring the focus back to the community of toxicomanes.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:51 pm

I'm used to Wikipedians reacting to criticism with pettiness, but seeing the SignPost taking Sharyl Attkisson to task for not properly attributing Wikipedia in her blog post takes the absolute biscuit.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:54 am

So, the second court case against George Pell has been dropped. Rather obviously, this is because a fair trial would have been impossible when Wikipedia joined certain media outlets in flagrantly breaching a 'gag' order aimed to keep the first conviction sealed until the second trial has concluded. Standard practice in mature jurisdictions built on centuries of legal doctrine, but apparently a problem for free speech loving USicans. The fact this means Pell has only actually been convicting of abusing two boys, a conviction he is now free to appeal, doesn't seem to be prominent in the themes of the coverage of the gag order now being lifted as moot, least of all in Wikipedia's own newspaper.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... 8-30/Op-Ed

.......which is of course far more interested in the free speech debate and the potential harmful effects of breaking Australian law, for the Wikipedians.

The real victims, the people looking to get justice in the second trial, well, I guess they're unimportant.

If you can believe it......
Given the repugnancy of the Australian gag order to U.S. First Amendment rights, noted above by Seraphimblade and others, I highly doubt the WMF would voluntarily abide by anything related to it. Given their public position on Turkey's censorship of Wikipedia, it would be a strange thing indeed if they did so. ☆ Bri (talk) 15:08, 31 August 2019 (UTC)
That public position being of course a human rights argument. So that's the former EiC of the SignPost, who stepped down for publishing transphoia, arguing his human right to be uncensored, matters more than the deeply dehumanizing hurt caused as a result. So it all ties in, as a pattern.

More news at ten, on Wikipediocracy. Not.

Maybe if I point out the author is linked to their Framban conspiracy theory, it might get them interested. WikiPizzagate at eleven.

Freaks.

Carrite
Sucks Critic

Post by Carrite » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:32 pm

sashi wrote:The 20-year retrospective book Tim proposed is a good exercise in focus, at least.

I didn't propose it, I just gave everybody who said they were interested in doing it a little push and sussed out who else might be interested in contributing to it.

Eagle is the editor; I've stepped aside in my "cat wrangler" capacity. I wouldn't bet too heavily on it coming to fruition, there are too many moving pieces for a loose approach to editing, but one never knows.

I'll be writing on WP's origins myth myself.

RfB

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:06 am

sashi wrote:That said, I just did a survey of some Left media (1) and it's... still... crickets all the way down. I don't know what to do, or what I can do, but since the KingoFaces / Tryptofish affair, I've decided to back off on the wixycontin and either give up or get to work.

Get used to that. They will NEVER have a stable staff on the Signpost, because it's a political football. Like everything else in Wikiworld.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:09 am

Carrite wrote:I didn't propose it, I just gave everybody who said they were interested in doing it a little push and sussed out who else might be interested in contributing to it.
Eagle is the editor; I've stepped aside in my "cat wrangler" capacity. I wouldn't bet too heavily on it coming to fruition, there are too many moving pieces for a loose approach to editing, but one never knows.
I'll be writing on WP's origins myth myself.

Sir: I was quite serious in my offer of a good solid chapter for that 20 year book-thing. IF Tarantino was willing to go thru the rest of the Looking Glass book notes and correct any massive errors. And the response was.....crickets. They did not even TRY to negotiate.