Sue Gardner lays an egg

Because no one else is doing it--not even the media.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Sue Gardner lays an egg

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:03 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/23/busi ... arkup.html

So, NOW the world is learning that Ms. Gardner isn't a visionary genius. But in fact a looneytoon and a walking dumpster fire. Such a biiig surprise. It also shows her longtime extremely-friendly relations with Craig Newmark. Ask me sometime about the extra-nice treatment Craigslist has been getting on Wikipedia since 2009.

https://www.cjr.org/analysis/the-markup.php
This part was especially amusing to me (nerds love the Myers-Briggs test, it's an old fad dating back to the 1950s and Wikipedians are prone to putting their MBTI ratings on their userpages):
Gardner felt that, as a senior executive, Angwin should be willing to take part in team-building exercises by submitting to a Myers-Briggs personality test, and should be more enthusiastic about attending meetings. She was alarmed that Angwin did not agree to formal performance assessments for herself and her team (Angwin says she never refused to do performance reviews). Gardner says she found such behavior “unnerving coming from someone in an executive position” and that she believes Angwin wanted an adversarial relationship between editorial staff and management.

It will take many years for the general public to realize what a poisonous place the WMF actually is. Sue is doing exactly what she did at Wikimedia: screaming GIVE US MONEY OR WE ARE DOOMED while soft-pedaling the abuses of certain tech industry people she wishes to suck up to (for money). And sniping at other tech people she dislikes. That's her "management technique". Not really sure she does much else. Angwin might be a PITA, but I did not examine her past history in detail. Gardner, on the other hand....I've got loads of material on her....

And how did Larson handle this major public crisis? With a sappy announcement on Medium (and NOT ON HIS OWN WEBSITE).
https://medium.com/@jeff_larson/about-t ... dc6a778100

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Re: Sue Gardner lays an egg

Post by CrowsNest » Wed May 01, 2019 8:57 am

Part of the reason the Mail is so successful, is an adversarial relationship between management and staff. Arguably Britain built an Empire out of it. It's clearly a legitimate technique for ensuring peak performance, albeit with obvious downsides. As for executives not wanting to have their performance reviewed in the same way as staff are (sitting down with a manager and being asked where you see yourself in twelve months), that's not an uncommon outlook a far as I know. Part of the benefit of being an executive, is you are considered intelligent enough to largely monitor your own performance, and what matters in terms of review, which is usually formally assessed by the Board and directly linked to pay and bonus, is actual results.