If John Oliver did a show on Wikipedia.....

Because no one else is doing it--not even the media.
CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

If John Oliver did a show on Wikipedia.....

Post by CrowsNest » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:36 am

....what story would you want him to cover?

Oliver's show is perfect format for a Wikipedia story, he gets right into the guts of an issue, and it is always something that really matters, but has been overlooked by the 24 hour news cycle. I can't say I have given this a lot of thought, some random French guy gave me the idea for it tonight, but on first impressions, it has to be the fraud that is Jess Wade.

Oliver always needs a hook, and that would have to be the whole Kit Chapman / Clarice Phelps affair and this claims she is the 'first' black woman to make Gold or whatever, an accessible issue for the uninitiated because people just making shit up and putting it on Wikipedia and then insisting it is true you just have to take their word for it, is a story everyone has heard. He prefers topicality, but also likes persistence, and it doesn't come much more topical and persistent than Wade's agenda.

He needs authority figures to lambast, and in their own way, Wikipedia has plenty. He also needs a couple of idiots he can put in front of a camera and make fools of with carefully crafted questions, and if Wade can't be persuaded (I think shyness is literally the only reason she would say no) there are plenty of Wikipediots who would sit in for her. He needs humour, both laugh out loud funny stuff but also laugh then cringe then die a little inside at this being what the world has become type stuff, and both are certainly present in spades in Wade's work.

In his best pieces, he also likes to show the problem has been noticed by some who have tried to remedy it, but whose efforts have failed because authority/bureaucracy/stupidity, and we got that. By necessity his pieces always require serious research, and what better thing to research than Wikipedia? It's all there, on permanent public record.

That only leaves the ethical question - is she a legitimate target. As Oliver has said in one episode, he does take great care in not using his platform to disproportionately light up someone who doesn't deserve it, but I think there is more than enough evidence to show Wade isn't in the situation she is in by accident, that she has had plenty of chances to reflect and reconsider, and she has not. It may be cruel to use her as a scapegoat, but the flipside is she's happy to portray herself as an example, a PR mouthpiece, an activist, defiant in the face of all critics. He loves that.

How could he refuse? It's TV Gold I tell ya. :ugeek:

sashi
Sucks Critic

Re: If John Oliver did a show on Wikipedia.....

Post by sashi » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:17 pm

I suspect it might be about China shutting down Café Anna. ("frodesiak jockstrap" + the Café Anna placemat)

Oh dear, I missed your actual question, which was: "Who would you want him to cover, because they deserve it..."

which happened mostly because I don't expect him to be able to untangle the intricacies of the various tryptofishy sis & co kids, or even the MrX - Neutrality files... Hmm... he could have some fun with Kingofthehill Kingofeces & some other wily smart clever "pest experts". :)

Carrite
Sucks Critic

Post by Carrite » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:49 am

CrowsNest wrote:....what story would you want him to cover?

The absolutely bogus way that this corporation with an eight-figure annual budget uses scare tactics to raise money from small donors and then wastes about 95% of the dosh that rolls in...

RfB

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:47 am

The wikipedia community's int. has exacte the WMF they deserve, Timmy. Just like they have the sysops they deserve and a Arbcom committee they deserve.

Let me put it in a other way, Timmy. What do you think what will happen if the most rotten and stupide and autistic users and lousy editors of a community form a foundation? Or a chapter? What do you expect, Tim? Do you expect such a WMF will be a integer, good functioning foundation?

What a joke!

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Carrite wrote:

The absolutely bogus way that this corporation with an eight-figure annual budget uses scare tactics to raise money from small donors and then wastes about 95% of the dosh that rolls in...

RfB
No dude, he's not going to do a story on how they don't want give you free shit just because you woke up one day and called yourself an expert on stuff and tings, and Wikipedia has thus far helped you indulge that fantasy, but you just 'gotta have moar of that luverrly Jimmy crack.

He might do a story on you though......The Crack Whores Of Wikipedia :lol:

He'd start the piece with that claim these bright eyed visionaries were aiming for a billion Featured Articles by Christmas, and end with you finally revealing what you'd really be prepared to do for a lifetime free subscription to newspapers.com.

A comedic tragedy: a recounting of the past, an examination of the present, and warning to the future.

There's your Emmy. :ugeek:

Carrite
Sucks Critic

Post by Carrite » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:17 pm

CrowsNest wrote:
Carrite wrote:

RfB
No dude, he's not going to do a story on how they don't want give you free shit just because you woke up one day and called yourself an expert on stuff and tings, and Wikipedia has thus far helped you indulge that fantasy, but you just 'gotta have moar of that luverrly Jimmy crack.

He might do a story on you though......The Crack Whores Of Wikipedia :lol:

He'd start the piece with that claim these bright eyed visionaries were aiming for a billion Featured Articles by Christmas, and end with you finally revealing what you'd really be prepared to do for a lifetime free subscription to newspapers.com.

A comedic tragedy: a recounting of the past, an examination of the present, and warning to the future.

There's your Emmy. :ugeek:

You're a very strange and bitter person with poor reading comprehension skills.

RfB

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Carrite wrote:You're a very strange and bitter person with poor reading comprehension skills.
I'm a serious Wikipedia critic and you're a die-hard Wikipedian, so in the interests of differentiating this site from your home of Wikipediocracy, I will let the inevitable question just hang there, in the air......

That digital void never has been your friend, Timmy.

Vigilant would have me do something different I am sure, but he's got a target audience with considerably less intelligence and insight to consider.

Tabloid and broadsheet.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:31 pm

I hope he would dig around and figure out why the vacations of both genderdesk and some WMF Trust & Safety employees coincided with the deframentation process. People say that wikipedia place is a bit of a battleground. :lol:

Carrite
Sucks Critic

Post by Carrite » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:05 am

sashi wrote:I hope he would dig around and figure out why the vacations of both genderdesk and some WMF Trust & Safety employees coincided with the deframentation process. People say that wikipedia place is a bit of a battleground. :lol:

The SuperProtect fiasco happened when the boss was out of the office, too, I recall.

RfB

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:17 am

this is an easy thing to cover:

1) the looney "internal culture", including the innumerable complaints by outsiders
2) more important: the corruption. Taking in $90mil+ per year and making it disappear, giving "special funds" to insiders for travel to their insipid little "Conventions", and funding weird little "special projects" like that Wikiproject X crap.

But of course John Oliver's show won't do this. It's a long and boring nerd subject. If regular journalists don't want to cover the WikiMagic then Last Week Tonight would have even less interest. LWT is a beast of media commentary first of all. Besides, you can't learn why the WMF is a shitshow without a deep look at its history, which is Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire levels of stupidity/tedium.

Bear in mind: since 2016 Oliver has consistently spent a substantial chunk of every show bleating TRUMPTRUMPTRUMPTRUMP, evidently to please his viewing base. (Strange how commentators who hate the Trump admin can't stop talking about it. As I like to say, Trump's akin to a big orange Tinkerbelle: the more you talk about him, the more power his ego gets.)