"Wikipedia Successfully Fought Government Censorship"

Because no one else is doing it--not even the media.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

"Wikipedia Successfully Fought Government Censorship"

Post by ericbarbour » Tue May 30, 2017 3:05 am

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... censorship

refers to this rather long paper

https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/hand ... sequence=1

which was written by three employees of Harvard's Berkman Center (now called Berkman Klein Center), which has loved Wikipedia since its early days (and made Jimbo a "Fellow" of the Center many years ago). They received considerable help from the WMF, especially recent user-request logs. The paper contains info you won't find elsewhere.

If you don't remember the WP connections to the Berkman Center, let me refer you back to an old Wikipediocracy thread. A thread that represents the beginning of the end of Wikipediocracy. I posted results of some of my research into Google, Creative Commons, EFF, Berkman Center and how they connect to the WMF, everyone encouraged me....and then Greybeard screeched "Eric, I can't tell sometimes whether you've always been a member of the tin-foil hat brigade, or if you're just now signing up.".

Obviously the WMF should have turned HTTPS on long before they actually did, in 2015.....censorship of various language WPs has occurred routinely since it became popular in 2005.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Re: "Wikipedia Successfully Fought Government Censorship"

Post by Flip Flopped » Tue May 30, 2017 4:41 pm

I don't recall discussion on Jimbo's talk page that reflects exactly the discussions that article says occurred when debating going to HTTPS only.

Zoloft says he'll stop adminning WO sometime this summer and that someone else will be doing it.

Zaphod B.
Sucks Noob

Post by Zaphod B. » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:13 pm

Flip Flopped wrote:I don't recall discussion on Jimbo's talk page that reflects exactly the discussions that article says occurred when debating going to HTTPS only.

Zoloft says he'll stop adminning WO sometime this summer and that someone else will be doing it.

This scares me a little frankly. I certainly hope that Greg won't be taking a more active role but then again if that does happen the other criticism sites like this one may get more action from the masses leaving WPO.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:12 am

Zaphod B. wrote:
Flip Flopped wrote:I don't recall discussion on Jimbo's talk page that reflects exactly the discussions that article says occurred when debating going to HTTPS only.

This scares me a little frankly. I certainly hope that Greg won't be taking a more active role but then again if that does happen the other criticism sites like this one may get more action from the masses leaving WPO.
Yep. I hadn't even thought of Greg doing it *shudders*. I am worried about IP privacy. I wonder if Johnny's going to take over. He seems kinda sane. I don't think greybeard would do it.

Zaphod B.
Sucks Noob

Post by Zaphod B. » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:50 am

Flip Flopped wrote:
Zaphod B. wrote:

Yep. I hadn't even thought of Greg doing it *shudders*. I am worried about IP privacy. I wonder if Johnny's going to take over. He seems kinda sane. I don't think greybeard would do it.

I really can't imagine anyone else doing it solo the way Zoloft does. I guess time will tell though.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Zaphod B. wrote:This scares me a little frankly. I certainly hope that Greg won't be taking a more active role but then again if that does happen the other criticism sites like this one may get more action from the masses leaving WPO.

Don't worry--they've already lost "the masses". It would be funny to watch "The Hoser" try to run a forum by himself.....perhaps he should be encouraged, so the rest of us can get some lol?

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:19 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Zaphod B. wrote:This scares me a little frankly. I certainly hope that Greg won't be taking a more active role but then again if that does happen the other criticism sites like this one may get more action from the masses leaving WPO.

Don't worry--they've already lost "the masses". It would be funny to watch "The Hoser" try to run a forum by himself.....perhaps he should be encouraged, so the rest of us can get some lol?
Who would he not have banned within a month? Poetlister?

Zaphod B.
Sucks Noob

Post by Zaphod B. » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:39 pm

If I had to make a guess at who might do it, I would go with maybe Randy from Boise. It would be rather amusing to me if some Wikipedia arb like NewYorkBrad or Charcaroth did it though I would get Lulz for days about that.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:06 am

Zaphod B. wrote:If I had to make a guess at who might do it, I would go with maybe Randy from Boise. It would be rather amusing to me if some Wikipedia arb like NewYorkBrad or Charcaroth did it though I would get Lulz for days about that.
Oh, please let it be a power-hungry died-in-the-wool Wikipedian.

Mutineer
Sucks Fan

Post by Mutineer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:14 am

Flip Flopped wrote:
Zaphod B. wrote:

On personal experience, and reading some things he says about IPs, it's my belief that Greg Kohs keenly looks over and traces the IPs of people who participate at Wikipediocracy, especially those he dislikes. NOTE: I don't have enough to make an accusation, and enumerating the various data-points is not something I'll do here, but it is my belief.

Would he do anything bad with the information? I doubt it. Then again perhaps he's double-checking to run down the location of the pizza place where you had lunch with your child daughter, like he did with Jimbo Wales.
I am "Modsquad" here, and participate, but I don't want you to think we can't have an angry argument.