YouTuber says "Golden Age of Internet is Over".....

Because no one else is doing it--not even the media.
Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

YouTuber says "Golden Age of Internet is Over".....

Post by Strelnikov » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:08 pm

.....never mentions Wikipedia ONCE.

Everybody keeps on talking about "Hastening the Day", but the day has already come where social media trash will not mention Wikipedia at all.

"Old websites never die, they just linkrot away...."

(His view of the "golden age" is from 2001 to 2010, and he mentions Facebook but not MySpace, no mention of LinkedIn, which started in the "golden era" and is far more invasive than Facebook now because it ransacks your email history. He mentions YouTube but not Vimeo or Dailymotion. Twitter is mentioned, but not all the cheapo chatrooms that were still a thing until the Tweetbeast expanded and replaced them. Kate Wagner laid out in Baffler magazine how the Internet was eating itself, and the YouTubers are beginning to notice.)
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: YouTuber says "Golden Age of Internet is Over".....

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:17 pm

I don't agree with this video at all. If there was a "golden age" for the web, it was between its beginnings in 1992 and the 2000-2001 dotcom collapse. Everything that came after, social media and Wikipedia and Google etc, was more like a "silver age" of maturation and truly insane greed. When the mercenary bastards like Larry/Sergey and Zucc and Jack Dorsey take over, it's not "golden" anymore.

The "Glink" guy who made that video seems to be just another millennial gaming nerd with the usual chip/shoulder. He doesn't seem to actually KNOW much about how the web developed. Is he influenced and educated by Joe Rogan rants?

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 pm

ericbarbour wrote:I don't agree with this video at all. If there was a "golden age" for the web, it was between its beginnings in 1992 and the 2000-2001 dotcom collapse. Everything that came after, social media and Wikipedia and Google etc, was more like a "silver age" of maturation and truly insane greed. When the mercenary bastards like Larry/Sergey and Zucc and Jack Dorsey take over, it's not "golden" anymore.

The "Glink" guy who made that video seems to be just another millennial gaming nerd with the usual chip/shoulder. He doesn't seem to actually KNOW much about how the web developed. Is he influenced and educated by Joe Rogan rants?

Does it matter? I posted this because he never mentions Jimbo's Jungle ONCE. This is the viewpoint of the people who grew up with the Internet, not people like you or I who were adults when the thing emerged, and even those people are saying it's a toilet now.

The point is not to fixate on the past, but to change the present into a better future, and it's not happening under this regime of websites.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:39 pm

Strelnikov wrote:The point is not to fixate on the past, but to change the present into a better future, and it's not happening under this regime of websites.

Agreed. BTW this is how the video made the front page of Reddit today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comment ... t_is_over/

This comment is a classic.
Ryuko_the_red 662 points ·

For clarity this isn't from me. Just copy pasting so reddit can't miss this. I'll likely get in trouble for this one, but fuck it people need to know.
I've met Zuckerberg while he was visiting one of his data centers. Zuck had never been to any of his data centers since the founding of his company so it was a big fucking deal. Everything was orchestrated and controlled for his arrival. There could be absolutely no fuck ups or issues during this time so lots of risks were mitigated. Here are some highlights of his trip. I'm not sure if this was to shield Zuck from on going issues at the dc or just to make the tour pleasant for him.
Anyone who didn't need to be there during his visit were sent home for the day. (Some FTEs, contractors, data center support staff and other unwated/troublemakers.)
During his tour, everyone and everything was orchestrated and planned before he even arrived. From who he would meet with ( "accidentally" run into during the tour), take questions from, what those questions where (for the most part), and the timing of each segment of the tour and so on. It was so unrealistic and fake and still to this day I have no idea why...
Zuck is socially awkward in person, he doesn't seem to cope well when an awkward situation pops up.
Before you meet Zuck, they had handlers that would meet with you to ensure that you didn't discuss anything that would be 'out of bounds' and create a potentially awkward situation for Zuck.
Zuck really is a pretty short person, you'll notice most of his PR photos are staged in a way to make him look equally as tall as the other subjects in the photo.
Zuck's personal security team did a sweep of the data center even though we have 24/7 on-site security
Facebook didn't want the public to know that Zuck had never been inside one of his data centers before (he had been to a colo, but this was his first visit inside to a fully built fb data center). In fact they fired a Data Center Manager who ran the Forest City DC in North Carolina for commenting on Zuck's public post asking him to visit the North Carolina DC when Zuck announced his nationwide tour because of it.