WMF fighting off patent trolls

Because no one else is doing it--not even the media.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

WMF fighting off patent trolls

Post by ericbarbour » Mon May 25, 2020 8:04 pm

It happens occasionally but there is usually little or no media coverage, since the legal papers make for "boring reading" or whatever.

This happened in March and NO ONE seems to have noticed. Sometimes the foundation does something actually-useful with that $100-million-plus in user donations they suck up every year.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/ip-law/wi ... xt-patents
Wikimedia and Internet Archive say they filed the suits in response to threats of litigation from WordLogic.

WordLogic owns four related patents covering predictive text. Wikimedia and Internet Archive argued that the relevant parts of the patents are likely invalid, noting one of the patents is under review at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.

The plaintiffs also say they don’t infringe the patents even if they’re valid. The complaints say Wikipedia and Internet Archive’s search boxes don’t perform at least one step required by the patents.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Re: WMF fighting off patent trolls

Post by Strelnikov » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:45 pm

WorldLogic has been scammy since 2001 or so and was barely a company in 2016. I guess the scam train will carry on until somebody puts the company out of its misery.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:22 am

I think they'll lose, but I'm curious how much money they'll for e the WMF to pay out in legal fees in the process.
#BbbGate

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:17 pm

Kumioko wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:22 am
I think they'll lose, but I'm curious how much money they'll for e the WMF to pay out in legal fees in the process.
No one at the WMF will care. None of them will lose sleep over it--after all, it's not THEIR money. All they need do is run more massive banner ads on WP articles and millions more will pour in.

Purging their Board of Trustees of "insiders" and ass-lickers would be a really good idea but it won't happen. The WMF is as inbred and nepotistic as a family-run business, and even more paranoiac.