The Washington Post "outed" a crazed Wikipedian today

Because no one else is doing it--not even the media.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

The Washington Post "outed" a crazed Wikipedian today

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:37 pm

The Wikipedia contributor behind 2.5 million edits
Steven Pruitt has more than 2.5 million edits to Wikipedia articles to his credit. Yes, 2.5 million. That’s a lot of editing to a lot of articles, so you’d understand if he couldn’t come up with the one that he most enjoyed working on. But ask, and he answers instantly: “Pohick Church.”

Also covered in his alma mater's magazine:
http://wmalumnimagazine.com/2018/fall/f ... the-world/
There was a post about him on ozy.com in February--attracted almost no attention.
https://www.ozy.com/provocateurs/this-p ... edia/79469

Note the comments "why don't YOU have a Wikipedia article?" Well, he did, two weeks ago--it was deleted. The edit history was destroyed but it appears that David Eppstein created it originally. Eppstein keeps creating bios of semi-obscure people, and they are dragged to AFD quickly, whereupon he has to fight off deletionist assholes.

Pohick Church is almost entirely the obsessive work of Ser Amantio di Nicolao, a name we have seen over and over in the past 8 years, and an admin since 2015. I will let you look his "valuable work" up on the noticeboards. He's not the worst admin I've ever seen but not the best either, as he commonly supports the "party line" about the "magic of Wikipedia" in disputes. But tends to stick to content work--like they ALL did at one time.

The True Face Of Wikipedia!
stevepruitt.jpg
stevepruitt.jpg (65.52 KiB) Viewed 2872 times

LargelyRecyclable
Sucks Noob

Re: The Washington Post "outed" a crazed Wikipedian today

Post by LargelyRecyclable » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:44 pm

Seems like he outed himself.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:21 pm

Keywords for search function: Steven Pruitt (Ser Amantio di Nicolao)

Been discussed many times on the fora. All the coverage I've seen paints him as a bit of a loser, and he certainly seems to freely give these interviewers embarrassing information, although the WaPo seems to have omitted the most embarrassing fact - he still lives with his mom.

Someone will try to recreate his biography now based on this 'coverage', most likely the person who created it the first time around (it was Everymorning, not Eppstein). It is Everymorning (who has since renamed himself IntoThinAir, and identifies himself as Jinkinson Payne Smith) who obsessively creates biographies on Wikipedians. His failure to get Pruitt kept is what gifted us the hilarity that is "List of Wikipedia people" ......

https://www.wikipediasucks.co/forum/vie ... f=19&t=819

This is what makes me laugh about press coverage of Wikipedia, they unquestionably include propaganda tripe like this ......
“The articles that you read on Wikipedia are made possible entirely by the generous work of volunteers like Steven,” says Kui Kinyanjui, the Wikimedia Foundation’s vice president of communications.
Really?

Other than being an obsessive loser who lives with his mother and has had let his generosity morph into a damaging addiction, Pruitt couldn't be more different to the average Wikipedian, because he is clearly......

-super-productive
-goal oriented
-conflict averse
-hyper-inclusionist
-has a wide range of interests
-is both gnome and content writer

....which are qualities most Wikipedians no longer posess. Many did, but they formed part of the mass exodus of people who have left in the long slow decline since the peak years of 2007-8, having decided they want no part of the general stupidity that is the Wikipedia project.

I wrote a lot on Reddit at the time of the first Afd......

If Wikipedia doesn't delete Steven Pruitt's "biography", it will be the single most vainglorious thing they have ever done, or ever will do

Check this insanity out.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ven_Pruitt

They're totally ignoring their own bar for inclusion, to the point of even ignoring Steven's own assessment of his lack of actual merit, which is incredibly ironic given what he is famous for, to glorify his achievement as a person worthy of encyclopedic recognition. Andy Mabbet even wants a recording of his voice to add to the article. They've gone completely fucking gaga!

--------
Everyone say hello to Everyman!

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =805524749

What a sad individual. If people like him had never discovered Wikipedia, or they somehow developed a screening process to keep them out, it might have stood half a chance of becoming an encyclopaedia. At least he's bombed out of RfA twice, that shows at least there are some standards, but not much.

This biography he has foisted on the world has already suffered a manifestly bad edit, a result of it being a vanity project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =804743279

That is if you don't count Everyman's addition of the following categories.....

-Customs officers -21st-century American singers

One wonders if he even knows what categories are for.

Hey, it's me, Everyman (yes, I am User:Everymorning on Wikipedia, the user who created the article and put the canvassing tag on the AFD b/c of this post). Thanks for the shoutout. Couple things I think I should point out: 1) Not a "vanity project" (I don't know Pruitt, have never met him, and honestly am not that familiar with his WP work outside of what's in the article- I just knew he made a ton of minor edits I see on my watchlist all the time). 2) Pruitt works for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, so he is a customs officer, and he belongs in the singer cat b/c he sings in the Capitol Hill Chorale

See WP:CATDEFINING. This is basic stuff. Seriously basic. As basic as understanding Pruitt's coverage doesn't add up to notability, not by a long way.

I never said you create these biographies for people you know, that I could at least understand as a motive, while still condemning it as wholly improper. You create them for no other reason than they are Wikipedians, and others are failing to delete it, because he is a Wikipedian.

Hence the reference to a vanity exercise. Your collective vainglorious nature is on full display here, especially in the way you cherry picked even that scrap of coverage for only positive material. There is no other biography on Wikipedia with this depth/type of coverage which would survive deletion. Only biographies for Wikipedians.

What makes me laugh here is, if Steven actually expressed horror at the prospect of having a Wikipedia biography, as Brian has, it would be gone in a hot second. So clearly, this is not an exercise in the dispassionate recording of notable people as an encyclopedic exercise, it is an exercise honouring his service.

You're immortalising this guy because he is a notable Wikipedian, and yet as this very debate shows, you reject any notion that his 2.2 million edits to Wikipedia has given him any more authority or experience with BASIC concepts like WP:N over anyone else. It is such a Wikipedian way of looking at the world, it's not actually even funny.

--

Everyman has now removed the categories, not crediting me with teaching him, a four year veteran with 901 edits to category name space alone, the basics of categorisation.

Fine. You explained something to me that I admit I should have already known, despite being much less experienced on WP than I am. What do you want, a cookie?

---------

Also note Montanabw's stated justification for removing the fact he lives with his parents in Mount Vernon:

Irrelevant and privacy issues

Not only does this ignore Pruitt's own on-wiki statements...

Delete, though I'm flattered to have been considered. Various issues, none of them having anything to do with BLP issues (believe me, I'm fine with anything in the article appearing publicly. I'm an open book, generally speaking.)

....it also grossly misrepresents the sources own interest in the topic. This is literally the byline of the Vocative piece...

One user who lives with his parents in Virginia is responsible for more than 1.5 million edits

....and it goes on to say this.....

The only time he likes to interact with technology is when he sits down at the same desk he’s had since middle school, inches away from his family’s Hewlett-Packard computer screen, making minor contribution after minor contribution to the world’s largest encyclopedia.

......so this edit was arguably a violation of NPOV if we are to assume there are any value judgements being made in their editorial choices, either by Vocaitv or Montanabw. Society being what it is, I'd say that's a fair assumption.

Does Pruitt, as a human being, deserve to not be publicly maligned for his life choices? Yes, if we assume he is a nonpublic individual of no ultimate importance as reflected by independent reliable sources. And that funnily enough is another way of asking, does he warrant his own Wikipedia biography?

It is sad fact of life that the media has yet to catch on to just why someone with 2.2 million edits to Wikipedia might be a person whose impact on the world is worth documenting, but that is naturally not a human interest story, but an investigative report.

-------

It's also worth noting, to further show self-glorification is their motive for this insanity, you will note the details from the coverage that the biography doesn't include.

Namely that he thinks Wikipedia has become a less welcoming place, and that he is still essentially performing grunt work that could quite easily be done by bots if only someone would code them (the real reason is way more hilarious, but alas, no reliable source coverage of super ridiculous stuff like the recent cosmetic edit wars).

I'm also guessing the stuff about spending half his waking life in his childhood bedroom isn't going to make it into this advertorial for the wonderous life that being a Wikipedian offers young people (of indeterminate age and birthplace, as he himself hilariously notes in a vain attempt at convincing them he's really not notable).

--------

Ah yes, it is deleted. And the people who were wrong about a fundamental tenet of Wikipedia, the all important GNG, collectively had thousands of edits and decades of service between them. Surprised? You really shouldn't be.

Welcome to Wikipedia, where merely being a certifiable idiot isn't a disqualifying quality, you actually have to be disruptive with it too. Mere incompetence, if done with good intentions, can be repeated for years. Nobody will put you in special measures, nobody will send you for re-education, nobody will even be looking for the tiniest improvement in your abilities.

Because of the unique way Wikipedia works, every one of these people is free to create a Wikipedia biography as poorly referenced as this one was, tomorrow, and once again stand by the blind assertion it meets the GNG. And as always, it will be the responsibility of others to protect living people from their rank stupidity and utter recklesseness.

Normal people would be hanging their heads in shame right now. Both the people who fucked up by saying keep so assuredly, and the people who said delete, but who will be doing nothing going forward to ensure the likelihood of a repeat is prevented.

But these are not normal people, these are Wikipedians. They log on, and tune out. The normal rules of a responsible academic endeavour don't apply. The normal rules of an enthusiast/hobby society don't even apply.

They exist in their own little bubble of unreality, making their own rules, setting their own norms, shamelessly not even admitting when the outside world has done them a favour by disrupting the Matrix with a bit of real world competency and common sense.

Just fucking die already, you cancerous stains on humanity.

--------

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:52 pm

No matter how insane, pathetic or embarrassing a "valued WIkipedian" is, the insiders will rush to blindly protect. Religious cults operate in the same manner.

Wikipedia would operate far better if people like Pruitt occupied most of the admin slots. But no, Jimboob simply had to install cranks, asskissers and camp followers instead. And they have slowly been pushing the Scott Pruitts out.

magalol.jpg
magalol.jpg (11.99 KiB) Viewed 2804 times