Re: Paid Editing on WP is permissible

Good, bad, biased, paid or what-have-you. There's an endless supply.
AndrewForson
Sucks Critic

Re: Paid Editing

Post by AndrewForson » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Oh dear. I don't know whether O'Beirne is autistic or not, and I don't suppose Eric does either, and I don't see that it matters much as far as this forum is concerned, just as it seems quite likely that O'Beirne's views as expressed in his blog also matter little to discussions of Wikipedia content or editors. What is rather certain that Eric is using "autistic" as a term of mere vulgar abuse, rather as "spastic" was in the past. Perhaps Eric could try criticising the contents of O'Beirne's blog, to the extent that they are relevant to the forum, without resorting to this sort of childish vulgarity?

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:26 am

Oh looky, O'Beirne must have some actual fans. And one of them actually had to log in to snipe at me. How awful. What a terrible inconvenience.

Is that really the best you can do? Is Justin O'Beirne really "above criticism"? Who says? Did I not state in the beginning that he and his little buddies have been editing Wikipedia in order to glorify themselves?

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:31 am

Paid editor or a student of Healy's? You choose the adventure!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... ns/Kmottet

AndrewForson
Sucks Critic

Post by AndrewForson » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:46 am

Be a jerk, then, Eric. Why should I care?

Did you have anything useful to say about Paid Editing, or were you just relieving yourself?

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:38 am

Relieving myself on your head. Thanks!

Can someone please ask "Petersubbe" just why Wikipedia desperately needs an article about an anonymous securities trader?

He also argued with one of the craziest Indian WP editors I've ever run across, Yashovardhan Dhanania. A profoundly incompetent patroller with that uniquely broken English tendency so often produced by editors from India. His edit history is full of things that will make you cringe.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:40 am

Remember this post from last summer?
ericbarbour wrote:Speaking of Daou, I keep seeing things like this on Facebook and Twitter......and people still wonder why Madame Clinton is not "widely loved".
Yes, Parkhomenko has a WP article. Written for him in 2013 by an SPA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Parkhomenko
And edited by himself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... arkhomenko

Daou and Parkhomenko are back in the news today:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/28/media/v ... index.html
Steadfast Clinton supporters like Peter Daou expressed their outrage over the joke, decrying the reference to "knitting" as sexist. A hashtag, #CancelVanityFair, spread on Twitter. Adam Parkhomenko, a former Clinton adviser, went so far as to tweet out a photo of the magazine engulfed in flames.
Sarah Jones, a writer at the liberal magazine The New Republic, observed that "criticizing Hillary Clinton is a guarantee that you're going to get days of really vile abuse directed your way online and it sucks."

Whereupon Jones's Twitter went up in flames as Hillary fans showed up to shriek "SEXIST" at her. And others showed up to shriek "SNOWFLAKE" at them. Ugh.

Wikipedia simply reflects the toxic and pathetic, broken political and social atmosphere of the US today. No wonder people like Daou and Parkhomenko are Wikipedians. (Trump evidently doesn't have to pay for Wikipedia COI editing--he attracts all the crazy people he will ever need at no charge. The shithell of his BLP continues unabated; an average of 20-30 edits per day, mostly hand-wringing and garbage. Currently 313k bytes, growing and shrinking and growing again. Idiots.)

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:42 pm

David M. Hall, created and mostly written by Workplaceadvocate in 2009.

Then that legendary fucknozzle TheRedPenOfDoom showed up and chopped it down, inserting {{resume}} at the beginning of the article (instead of on the talkpage WHERE IT BELONGS).

Then "someone else" called Teacheradvocate showed up to diddle.

Then Workplaceadvocate returned later to jack off the article even more.

And thus it remains today. A self-administered blow job.

My favorite part: TheRedPen gave up on Wikipedia in December 2015 after years of "fun" like the above. Before leaving he posted this on the top of his userpage.
VOTE NO

The ArbCom as currently constructed and staffed has amply demonstrated that not only is it incapable of accomplishing the sole task for which it was established (To provide resolution to disputes that the community has been unable to resolve), it has become the locus from which disruption emanates. Vote NO on every candidate to prevent further validation of this farce.

HURRY, HURRY, HURRY!
Step right up and see a treasury of pinnipeds right before your very eyes!
The next act in only 4 days and 10 edits.
The most ethical show in the big top!

I can just picture some kid shouting "Hey mister, I want my two bits back, this is a terrible animal show!"

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:34 pm

From a recent personal email exchange:
> *Very* long for a book review:
> https://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/tr ... revisited/
> You tell me.

Yeah, it's an obvious attempt to whitewash Sandusky. Why does skeptic.com need to do such a thing? That isn't explained and I don't get the motivations.

Besides, I'm the wrong person to ask, having no sympathy for Penn State or Paterno. This so-called "major state university" cared more about goddamn football than it did about academics. For decades, even long before Paterno. In most other ways Penn State is extremely mediocre.

And yes, their Wikipedia article was heavily edited by Penn State students/alumni/etc. as usual.
An administrator called
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Spangineer
did a lot of work on it between 2004 and 2008. Now an inactive admin.

Two other major examples:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:PSUMark2006
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jtalledo

Who is "Spangineer"? From an early rev of his userpage, 2004:
Hi, my name is '''Nathaniel C. Sheetz''', and I'm a 3rd year student at [[Pennsylvania State University|Penn State]], studying [[Industrial Engineering]] and [[Spanish]], hence the username, '''Spangineer'''. I started contributing to Wikipedia on [[November 11]], [[2004]].

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:28 am

Big Baller Brand, almost entirely the work of BigCheese41

Exactly what you would expect from the ego of LaVar Ball. Whose Wiki bio was mostly written by one TempleM. Who could plausibly pass as an actual basketball fan. But still, he really loves the Balls and their company. Big Baller Brand Challenge Games is pretty damn stupid and absurd, and it's almost entirely the work of TempleM.

Also wondering about administrator Bagumba. In a perfect position to perform COI edits on basketball articles. Created Lonzo Ball almost all by him/herself.

Not to mention AGreatPhoenixSunsFan who's also been fiddling with the Ball articles. None of whom has ever actually been in the Suns.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:13 am