Re: Paid Editing on WP is permissible

Good, bad, biased, paid or what-have-you. There's an endless supply.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:19 pm

Ha ha. A text I received on my phone today, from 833-961-2200:
Last Chance! eric, you are now eligible for a Wikipedia profile. Create it today at 70 percnt off
https://rb.gy/lcbsb9
Which ultimately links to this company:
https://www.88digitalstudio.com/services/ghostwriting/

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:58 pm

Wikipedia "worked for" Marc Canter, one of the founders of Macromedia. As long as he could edit his own bio in 2006.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... Marccanter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Marc ... 5#Untitled

Then the "MeToo" thing got started, and the "Accusations of sexual harassment" section appeared in 2017. Became longer and longer. Partly thanks to WMF employee Ckoerner (who fought off an IP address to insure it stayed there), later thanks to another IP address. Who at least had the decency to point out Canter was being witch-hunted by bad journalists and "serial accusers". The Mighty New York Times mishandled MeToo.

This is all extremely petty, more so than the usual "OOH SHAME THIS RICH GUY HE'S A SEXIST" routine.

Wendy Dent has developed a reputation for craziness, btw. (You can't read about THAT on WIkipedia.)

Hey Marc; is Wikipedia "working for you" now? And how do you enjoy being urinated on by nerds with far less money/fame (HA HA HA) than you?

boredbird
Sucks Mod

Post by boredbird » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:29 am

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:36 pm

"Masserati" lol. Another fine Wiki quotation to put on Jimbo's tombstone. He's gonna need a biiig one.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:39 pm

"Mike Stevens" sent me this garbage email TWICE today. They must be very desperate.
Hello

It's really important to understand the importance of online branding. What the internet speaks about you and your business is often considered the holy truth.

Generating the right type and amount of exposure for yourself or your business is not just a matter of fate or chance but rather a focused and calculated work of digital sciences. VIEW PACKAGES

In the digital age, businesses, actors, writers, singers and everyone else who wants to be popular have teams working for them to strategize and manage their content and reputation over the internet. We believe it’s time you took a step in the same direction to get the fire started.

What do we propose? We will take you and your business truly global with a place on the world’s largest online encyclopedia, taking you instantly to the top of your league! It might look like a simple page on Wikipedia but here is what you really need to know to understand the real power of Wiki.

1. Wikipedia is the largest and most popular general reference work on the Internet.
2. It is ranked the fifth-most popular website.
3. It comprises more than 40 million articles in 299 different languages.
4. The encyclopedia has 18 billion page views and nearly 500 million unique visitors each month.
5. Wikipedia's level of accuracy has approached that of Encyclopedia Britannica.
We are not saying that this is all you’ll ever need to go from common to ‘famously known’ but this will surely be the smartest first step towards it.

Interested to know more about it? Don’t wait any longer! We are offering a Special 70% discount on our Professional Services. Click Here to Get your Wikipedia Page Now

Your Sincerely,
Mike Stevens
Customer Success Head
TheWikipediaPRO.com

P.S: If you aren’t the right person to contact about this, please let me know. If you would rather, I not follow up, you can let me know that too!

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:49 am

haha, Doc James blocked a Merck employee who was messing with articles relating to Merck products used for multiple sclerosis

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... Merck+KGaA

Drug companies in general really suck ass. You may quote me.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:38 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:39 pm
"Mike Stevens" sent me this garbage email TWICE today. They must be very desperate.
Hello

It's really important to understand the importance of online branding. What the internet speaks about you and your business is often considered the holy truth.

Generating the right type and amount of exposure for yourself or your business is not just a matter of fate or chance but rather a focused and calculated work of digital sciences. VIEW PACKAGES

In the digital age, businesses, actors, writers, singers and everyone else who wants to be popular have teams working for them to strategize and manage their content and reputation over the internet. We believe it’s time you took a step in the same direction to get the fire started.

What do we propose? We will take you and your business truly global with a place on the world’s largest online encyclopedia, taking you instantly to the top of your league! It might look like a simple page on Wikipedia but here is what you really need to know to understand the real power of Wiki.

1. Wikipedia is the largest and most popular general reference work on the Internet.
2. It is ranked the fifth-most popular website.
3. It comprises more than 40 million articles in 299 different languages.
4. The encyclopedia has 18 billion page views and nearly 500 million unique visitors each month.
5. Wikipedia's level of accuracy has approached that of Encyclopedia Britannica.
We are not saying that this is all you’ll ever need to go from common to ‘famously known’ but this will surely be the smartest first step towards it.

Interested to know more about it? Don’t wait any longer! We are offering a Special 70% discount on our Professional Services. Click Here to Get your Wikipedia Page Now

Your Sincerely,
Mike Stevens
Customer Success Head
TheWikipediaPRO.com

P.S: If you aren’t the right person to contact about this, please let me know. If you would rather, I not follow up, you can let me know that too!
If they (quietly) hate your guts, why are they emailing you their Wiki-bullshit?

Is it all that desperate?
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:19 pm

Strelnikov wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:38 pm
If they (quietly) hate your guts, why are they emailing you their Wiki-bullshit?
Is it all that desperate?
They have no idea who I am, just that my email has a profile attached that mentions "Wikipedia".

Plus as I posted in the main room today, soon WMF will go full "commercial". I suspect this was one reason why Maher left.
https://wikipediasucks.co/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=1910

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:20 pm

Excellent candidate for the mantle of "undeclared paid editor", does mostly corporate articles (and has Pudkung and David Goodman deleting said articles, check the talkpage).......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kekoukele