A man you had probably never heard of, died, and Wikipedia maybe sort of does want you to know about it, maybe, sort of.

Good, bad, biased, paid or what-have-you. There's an endless supply.
Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

A man you had probably never heard of, died, and Wikipedia maybe sort of does want you to know about it, maybe, sort of.

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:47 pm

Do you know who Michael Collins was?

Nah, me neither. Unless you meant the terrorist, and he's long dead.

How about now......
American astronaut Michael Collins (pictured), the command module pilot for Apollo 11, dies at the age of 90.
It's on the front page of Wikipedia right now.

Hmmm. Well, Ok, but I watched the film, and I still don't really know who he was. No wait, was this the mission where Tom Hanks shat his pants?

I kid. But seriously, be honest, you didn't know who Collins was, and even now, you probably still don't know. Or really care.

Despite this not being "In the News" in the way other events on that section usually are, because lets face it, to anyone but his family and space nerds, which Wikipedia attracts like flies on shit, nobody really gives a shit that this old man has died of natural causes.

What I want you to observe, and laugh at.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... el_Collins

.....is how predictable it was to see that when this was being debated, specifically, whether it should be noted here on the front page of Wikipedia, there was of course, a huge argument, with nobody able to agree what the purpose of "In The News" even is. Even though the title is kind of a clue. No matter though, both sides were adamant that they were correct, and thought that the other side was insane to think otherwise. Pricks like Lugnuts were there, being pricks, obviously oblivious to the fact he is supposed to be retired. Prick.

Ah, Wikipedia consensus. It was decided, as usual, by an Administrator just sweeping in and contemptuously placing a super vote.

This same argument, with typically the same ending, has played out on Wikipedia for years. They're that crazy. Not for them, a final settlement to decided what that section is for.

Still, this one was at least funny for seeing this claim to fame surface, something that only an absolute wiki nerd could have come up with.....
the first human to be out of sensory communication with the Earth
Lolwut?

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: A man you had probably never heard of, died, and Wikipedia maybe sort of does want you to know about it, maybe, sort

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:41 pm

Jake Is A Sellout wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:47 pm
.....is how predictable it was to see that when this was being debated, specifically, whether it should be noted here on the front page of Wikipedia, there was of course, a huge argument, with nobody able to agree what the purpose of "In The News" even is. Even though the title is kind of a clue. No matter though, both sides were adamant that they were correct, and thought that the other side was insane to think otherwise. Pricks like Lugnuts were there, being pricks, obviously oblivious to the fact he is supposed to be retired. Prick.
And they will deny there is any "problem". Because "we have constant debates like this". The best shutdown they can manage is "we've always done it this way and HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZE the mighty Wikipedia". Since they can't agree on anything (until someone pulls rank), they haven't "always done it this way". Hypocrites.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Re: A man you had probably never heard of, died, and Wikipedia maybe sort of does want you to know about it, maybe, sort

Post by Strelnikov » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:48 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:42 pm
Please stop.......

Did you get the email from NIDA? I did and I don't know if it's language issues or "something else."
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:33 pm

Not related, but similar: why does Wikipedia have such miserable coverage of Floyd Dominy? In the 1950s and 1960s he was a VERY powerful federal bureaucrat. You can thank him for the most hated dam in the southwest, Glen Canyon. Floyd was convinced that "every river in the West must be dammed" because damn the consequences, millions will end up living in the West. And there isn't enough water to go around. He was right about that.

https://gizmodo.com/officials-pull-emer ... 1847308190

Today lesser dams that Dominy championed are actually being removed. Attitudes toward environmentalism have changed. Yet you can't read about it on Wikipedia because their "bureaucratic solution" seems to be "pretend Dominy was a nobody", using copyright as an "excuse". Look at the talkpage.

Classic Wik-Idiocy.