"We cannot sweep copyright issues under the rug any longer"

Good, bad, biased, paid or what-have-you. There's an endless supply.
Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

"We cannot sweep copyright issues under the rug any longer"

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:56 pm

Hilarious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... any_longer

A true warning to anyone who approaches Wikipedia as if it's a serious enterprise. It will fucking ruin you.

I almost don't have the heart to say this, but in the spirit of his post, I have to.

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.

This is Wikipedia. If the large scale societal and internal acceptance of a model where the majority can merely engage in a "hobby" and selfishly ignore the minority who do the serious work, didn't actually work (work being defined merely as Wikipedia doesn't collapse or get shut down), then Wikipedia would have ceased to exist years ago.

Why does he think this appeal will do anything? He's been around long enough to see the reality. Backlogs are normal. Occasionally someone will make an appeal at a noticeboard, a few people will chip in, but things rapidly go back to the status quo. And that's for shit that's easy, the stuff that might only take five minutes.

Ignoring copyright violations is normal for Wikipedia. And nobody cares.

Anyone who tries to clear the backlog, is a fucking idiot. Literally WASTING THEIR LIVES. Which is the same for every Wikipedia editor tbh, but at least the ones wasting their time on writing articles, are having what they perceive as fun. For the most part.

It's hard for me to feel too much sympathy. I think I recall Moneytrees name from a while back, perhaps when he was up for RfA. I tried to tell him he was embarking on a course of action that would ruin him. He laughed.

Ha ha not so funny now eh? Prick.
The whole culture of sweeping copyright issues under the rug and letting them stagnate needs to end now, or it will hurt Wikipedia to an extreme extent. This can't be pushed away any longer, and I'm going to keep pushing this in everyone's face. It's not fucking working.
It is working. They got you to work on it. And if you weren't working on it, would anyone have even noticed? Nope.
The WMF doesn't help out (that needs to change, we are not equipped as volunteers to handle this and labor for them over it), and not enough of the user base does.
The WMF won't help you. Why? IT'S NOT THEIR FUCKING JOB.

You signed up for this, clear eyed. You knew what it was. An enthusiastic cult member like you can never realistically claim to not know the founding principles of Wikipedia. The Foundation don't do content. That's the job of the volunteers. The Foundation are only legally obligated to respond to DCMA requests. They will not do more.
if I don't call this out, it'll be the next generation of editor's problem. And that's not going to work out.
Why not? Wikipedia is a generational enterprise now. You're actually a second or third generation Wikishit. As someone on copyright cleanup, investigating article histories that go back to the early years, you already know this is true. You see the names, long gone editors, some even dead.

And when you're gone, voluntarily or in a casket, someone will replace you, someone equally naive. Or not. It won't matter.

Wikipedia is an inherently selfish hobby. Even you are prepared to prioritise your own college and career work over this important part of any encyclopedia. So in all seriousness, what's this emotion laden appeal really about?

It's about giving your selfish hobby meaning. You're reaching burnout, and you want thanks for your efforts. You want to know it wasn't all for nothing. That people saw it, appreciated it, and want to carry it on, and not for their own selfish reasons, but because they care about you as a colleague. As if you and they were somehow part of a collective.

Good luck with that. :lol: