Sourcing Marx but Not Mentioning Marx

Good, bad, biased, paid or what-have-you. There's an endless supply.
wexter
Sucks Warrior

Sourcing Marx but Not Mentioning Marx

Post by wexter » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:29 pm

Just looked at Critical Race Theory.

A pun intended here; the mob seems to have whitewashed Karl Marx from the entry.

In talk, there is grousing that a quoted source is misquoted to omit Marx. I think if you look at references of any article you will find that many of them don't even support the topic! or they are misinterpreted, or in this case changed to make an idea more palatable to sell a biased point of view.

Any article in Wikipedia can be torn to shreds by looking at the quotations and supporting footnotes!

"Critical Philosophy of Race has a distinctive philosophical methodology primarily drawing from critical theory, Marxism, pragmatism, phenomenology, post-structuralism, psychoanalysis, and hermeneutics" <-misquoted

The Wikipedia article is a mess which tries to equate CRT to critical thinking! in hopes of providing a definitive statement of fact. Just to be fair there is an overemphasis of Marx in arguments against CRT. The truth is apolitical and is somewhere in between.

Britannica does mention Marxism as a foundational element of the concept, CLS being part of the developmental history of CRT

CLS (a precursor to CRT), "an offshoot of Marxist-oriented critical theory, may also be viewed as a radicalization of early 20th-century legal realism, a school of legal philosophy according to which judicial decision making, especially at the appellate level, is influenced as much by nonlegal—political or ideological—factors"

My guess is that this topic is a giant fur-ball of click-bait that generates lots of money by exciting people through divide and conquer.
Wikipedia - "Barely competent and paranoid. There’s a hell of a combination."

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Sourcing Marx but Not Mentioning Marx

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:24 am

wexter wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:29 pm
A pun intended here; the mob seems to have whitewashed Karl Marx from the entry.
124k bytes and ten talkpage archives; this article is a major editwar target. Sockpuppet land and shredded text.

Look at the work of the article's primary authors and you will know its biases. The Red Pen Of Doom and Doug Weller are also farting around in there, a clear sign that they want to slant it to the Marxist left. And are failing. What does CRT have to do with classical Marxism anyway?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sangdeboeuf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Oceanflynn
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Davidwhittle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DenverCoder19

Whittle is an actual published book author. He did this, a large chunk that was way off-topic and probably should have been removed.

wexter
Sucks Warrior

Post by wexter » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:26 am

Having read Marx, decades ago, It was immediately clear to me that CRT was just a re-branding something old as new.

Just swap out proletariat for race and you will get the idea. The proletariat (insert race) are structurally disenfranchised.

There are some hidden gems about our current state of affairs to be found reading Marx including labor value theory, concentration of capital, and the tendency for labor value to decrease due to mechanization (which does not hold true today when it comes to highly skilled or specialized labor that cannot be arbitraged). Taking an element or two and discarding hundreds of pages of rhetoric is called critical thinking.

Me I prefer to live my present life on the back of Thorstein Veblen.

---Conspicuous consumption of valuable goods is a means of reputability to the gentleman of leisure.

I vote we form CWT where an educated consumer of information is Critical of Wikipedia Tripe

BTW thanks for that honeypot of Wikipedia nonsense you found in that article.
Last edited by wexter on Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wikipedia - "Barely competent and paranoid. There’s a hell of a combination."

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:35 am

wexter wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:26 am
Taking an element or two and discarding hundreds of pages of rhetoric is called critical thinking.[/i]
And constantly piling up hundreds of pages of rhetoric, and fighting over it like angry children, is called "Wikipedia". It is the exact opposite of any kind of "critical thinking".