Massive fight over "witchcraft"

Good, bad, biased, paid or what-have-you. There's an endless supply.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Massive fight over "witchcraft"

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:26 am

Bbb23sucks wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:51 am
I CALLED IT
What a bunch of utter bullshit.

Current vote is 6 to refuse the case, 0 to accept. Fail.
ArbCom should decline this case, and admonish the filing editor for vexatious filing. Any conduct allegations can go to WP:ANI. Robert McClenon (talk) 05:52, 15 August 2023 (UTC)
Arbcom should steal Harry Potter's wand and turn themselves into turnips. So we don't have to read this diarrhea.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:23 am

It's gotten even worse:

There's now an RfC and several all-caps ragefests.

There's now a fork of the article about witchcraft in africa: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... &limit=500

Taken to ANI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _in_Africa

Now that it's been to both DRN and ANI, I wonder if it'll go to ArbCom for a second time.

By the way, it's hilarious how complicated it is to even vote in the RfC. There's five main options, each with several sub-options; then you also have the choice of ranking said preferences in several different ways - some combining, some not, and some both (through the use of commas; varied quantities of greater, lesser, and equal signs; and the two previous options combined with the optional use of parentheses - all respectively). There also alternate variations of each option and different signifiers of your felt confidence to choose from.

There's also a second sub-RfC with three new secondary options which can be optionally combined with the original ones. And of course there are multiple combinations and variations on those too.

AND there is a THIRD - yes, that's right - THIRD sub-sub-RfC expressing opinions on miscellaneous introductory statements, with the primary options being represented with the numbers 0 to 4. Each one of these options may be conditionally chosen and/or combined depending on expected outcome of the previous RfCs. As expected, there are also alterations, combinations, and negational statements of these options too.

Each one of the sub-RfCs is also subdivided into "introduction", "options", "general discussion", and "voting and comments" sub-sub-sections. There is also a general discussion shared between the three sub-sections of the RfC.

They are also fighting over the sidebar template and even attempted an RfD, which was over course closed as "no consensus".

This whole fight seems to also be linked to a similar debate over paganism from late last year: https://wildhunt.org/2022/11/editorial- ... pedia.html

There's also been fighting over the word "witch" itself, witch (hehe) has resulted in the page being moved and this new article being created.

This fight has gotten so big that it has actually gotten significant attention on Reddit.

Barbour, in a previous post you mentioned how the "Gays against Groomers" fight/RfC was unreadable and insane, well this RfC makes that look "normal" in comparison.

At the rate the wiki-bureaucracy is "advancing", they're going to have to set up a degree program so wannabe insiders can even begin to understand it. Maybe if they spent 10% of the effort they put into nonsense like this into actual content creation, Wikipedia might be half-way decent...
Last edited by Bbb23sucks on Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:17 am, edited 18 times in total.
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:45 am

Bbb23sucks wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:23 am
There's now an RfC and several all-caps ragefests.
That's WP. "We take TL:DR to the utmost" would be a better official motto, rather than some garbage Jimbo spluttered 20 years ago.
Barbour, in a previous post you mentioned how the "Gays against Groomers" fight/RfC was unreadable and insane, well this RfC makes that look "normal" in comparison.
No argument, but still, meh, seen worse.....I would tell you about FT2 but his ravings far exceed the human ability to understand or parse.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:54 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:45 am
I would tell you about FT2 but his ravings far exceed the human ability to understand or parse.
I want to know. I've heard of him before, but I don't actually know what he did. Link?

Edit: Found the ED article, useful, but pretty short.
Last edited by Bbb23sucks on Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:26 pm

Bbb23sucks wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:54 am
I want to know. I've heard of him before, but I don't actually know what he did. Link?
Edit: Found the ED article, useful, but pretty short.
The ED article is meh, but does give a passable if incomplete summary. It's almost impossible to summarize beyond that, and I don't want to post the whole thing here--no one will read it and probably, no one will believe it actually happened. Someday it would make a weird and LONG book for somebody to publish. Long after all the principals are dead.

Think of all the Harry Potter novels, only they're about an arrogant British guy with Indian royal blood (and a penchant for bestiality) going batshit on Wikipedia, and being aggressively protected by its worst insiders. That would be unreadable. And it's only ONE example of why David Gerard is Wikipedia's worst of the worst.
Last edited by ericbarbour on Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:52 pm

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:26 pm

Bbb23sucks wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:52 pm
Went to ArbCom a second time: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... and_Tamzin
There is NO listing of this case request in the archives--not that I can find. Someone must have pulled strings to conceal it. The archive listings by month have become totally unreliable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... #September

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:48 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:26 pm
Bbb23sucks wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:52 pm
Went to ArbCom a second time: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... and_Tamzin
There is NO listing of this case request in the archives--not that I can find. Someone must have pulled strings to conceal it. The archive listings by month have become totally unreliable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... #September
It's listed on this page at least: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _September

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:05 pm

Bbb23sucks wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:48 pm
It's listed on this page at least: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _September
Now, find out what the hell "Motion passed in lieu of full case" means. I suspect it will be "complicated", meaning they don't want to discuss it further....Arbcom rejects cases routinely now because they are on-wiki political quagmires. Ten to fifteen years ago, they practically went out of their way to stir the boiling pot. With increasing paranoia comes cowardice.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:04 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:05 pm
Now, find out what the hell "Motion passed in lieu of full case" means. I suspect it will be "complicated", meaning they don't want to discuss it further....Arbcom rejects cases routinely now because they are on-wiki political quagmires. Ten to fifteen years ago, they practically went out of their way to stir the boiling pot. With increasing paranoia comes cowardice.
It means that he got a slap on the wrist and can continue to violate their supposed "policies".