Infoboxes

Good, bad, biased, paid or what-have-you. There's an endless supply.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Infoboxes

Post by ericbarbour » Thu May 24, 2018 8:45 pm

CrowsNest wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:PerhapsXarb

Watch out people, Laser Brain has declared war.....

You remember how Laser brain started out, right? A blatant piece of COI in 2008:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... on=history

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Fri May 25, 2018 11:01 am

Unless you know different, then knowing what I know about Laser, and a read of the talk page, confirms this is unlikely to be COI, and has more to do with the hole Wikipedia editors fall down when they lose all objectivity. He barely even addresses the objections people have with the content. He considers it a personal insult to have his work criticised, much less, shock horror, tagged. He feels like he is owed special treatment/consideration for having toiled away at the Google to ensure this article is "the most comprehensive reference available about the subject", and he feels like he should be above reproach for generally having shown a long term commitment to the cult.

This is basically the reason he uses his Admin badge to carry water for the likes of Cassianto and SchroCat. They all absolute hate the fact the theoretical bedrock of Wikipedia is that individual editors don't matter, they're not entitled to special treatment or consideration just for the sheer fact they write content. What matters is the objective quality of that content, so losing your shit whenever that is challenged in good faith, indeed assuming every challenge is by definition being made in bad faith because 'don't you know who I am', is rightly considered a behavioural problem. Again, theoretically. This behaviour is now pretty much standard and accepted as normal, people like DGG have to satisfy themselves targeting editors who lack the social standing to resist.

Despite there being a very long list of complaints registered on the talk page, in reality this is all that has happened since Laser removed DGG's tag in 2015......(spoiler alert, two words changed)

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =689790613

As is normal, reacting with hostility, attacking the messenger and generally not engaging in good faith, let alone proactively, paid off. And that was six years after he became an Admin. He is unfit to serve, but then again, virtually all of them are, hence Wikipedia is dying.

Whatever he is, he's easily played.....
Fram and 331dot, I've had some email correspondence with this user and I'm satisfied that they were not attempting to troll and were indeed making a good faith effort to contribute. I believe a recent article in the news may have directed their attention to Stanley Kubrick and the infobox kerfuffle. Unless you have any objections at this point, I'd like to unblock him. --Laser brain (talk) 17:56, 24 May 2018 (UTC)
Does he not think us trolls didn't already know about that piece? It's been mentioned in here, I'm sure.

What he needs to appreciate, is that it he wasn't such a corrupt asswipe when it comes to dealing with people like Cassianto and SchroCat, then the media wouldn't even be able to write pieces quoting their potty mouths, which effectively laugh at Wikipedia for having a total meltdown over the shocking realisation that it makes no sense to people outside their cult, and arguably a majority inside it, to have a feature of standardisation that isn't used in a standardised way.

If he genuinely believes this guy's story, then it is his own failed approach to Adminship which has seen him block an innocent person. And if he doesn't believe it, then it is also his own failed approach to Adminship which means he has to unblock a user he probably knows is only there to troll his friends. To me, that makes it seem like he is wasting his life on a fool's errand, and is only ever likely to persuade intelligent people that Wikipedia is a ship of fools.

For those like Laser Brain who just don't get it, Cassinianto and SchroCat have targets on their back, not because they don't agree that infoboxes should be standardised. Other than the fact it's just fun to fuck with such arrogant people who are so easily riled, it's because they've been epic assholes about it, and arguably due to the corrupt nature of people like Laser Brain who let it all happen as if it's just normal debate, their asshollery has been allowed to disproportionately influence the issue, to the point it now looks like it will never be resolved.

Since it aligns with our goals to have Wikipedia be portrayed as a ship of fools who have interminable disputes over things that sensible, professional people would have resolved long ago, he can rest assured the insurrections to rile these idiots and thus put him in these difficult positions, aren't going to stop any time soon. If he doesn't like it, he knows where the door is.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Nasty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... sagreement?

The war that refuses to die.

Where is Bishonen and her new found love of DS? Surely she doesn't just involve herself in such things if there is a combatant involved that she cares about, someone she wants to protect/assist/insulate.I

She's an Administrator, sworn to serve where she is needed.

Yeah right. Another obvious flaw of the Wikipedia model. Principles cost money. Duty costs money. The only thing people do for free, is serve their own interests.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:31 pm

CrowsNest wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Manual_of_Style/Infoboxes#Underlying_disagreement?

Any reasonable person not familiar with WP's mentally-ill internal culture would look at this and conclude that the damn thing is run by psychopaths and fools. Something that I had figured out 10 years ago. They don't even attempt to hide it anymore.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:51 pm

It's not all nasty. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... ppopotamus)&diff=next&oldid=847640808

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:57 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =852979436

Thanks to Drmies, an article owner is getting a free pass from ArbCom's requirement that they MAINTAIN decorum. The word maintain, implies they don't just get tired and say fuck it. Especially if they don't lift a finger to help themselves in the mandated manner.

Destructive input like this to AE from so called Administrators, totally undermining ArbCom, will be the reason they will eventually have to revisit this case. Because the predictable calls for Bishonen's temporary article moratorium approach to DS to be used here, as a way to not have to deal with the volatile article owner, can never work, because the issue is the editors. They're just dicks. Well, it will work, but only if every disputed article is eventually locked down by this temporary not so temporary restriction.

The Wikipedians are such cowards, they would happily be seen to have sleepwalked into that situation, than dare risk dealing with the volatile article owners of Wikipedia, who seem to think, with some support from Drmies because he's wired that way too, that the rules don't apply to them if it is inconvenient.
ARBCOM wrote:All editors are reminded to maintain decorum and civility when engaged in discussions about infoboxes
That I would agree with Masem sure is something. False or as yet unfounded accusations of socking are a violation of AGF, sure (as are snide and uncivil remarks), and OWNership should be discouraged, but this is frequently the kind of issue that our content editors run into: editors with a low count and few contributions either to the article(s) at hand or to the general business of infoboxes. A perusal of the three archived talk pages shows there certainly is no consensus whatsoever to include one, and the more substantive of those discussions indicate to me that there is consensus to not have one. So, if a "new" editor comes by and scratches the scab off it should not be surprised that some of the old-timers, who've danced this dance before (on this and other articles) and are probably dead-tired of it, are miffed: sure, one shouldn't "own" articles, but some of these editors have devoted significant time and energy to it and have, we can surmise, some expertise.

In short, I do not see any reason for a sanction under these guidelines, though other aspects of editorial behavior may warrant some comments--but there also I see nothing really extraordinary. Drmies (talk) 15:10, 30 July 2018 (UTC)
It's all so ridiculous. The power to prevent a demonstrably pointless rehash of a previously settled debate, has always been within the power of the mere editor, who can with a single click, summon an Administrator to give that intervention some teeth if need be. It doesn't really work when everyone, Admins included, is either a coward or a dick.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:48 am

Still one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen in Wiki-Land.