Begging banners getting desperate

Good, bad, biased, paid or what-have-you. There's an endless supply.
CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Begging banners getting desperate

Post by CrowsNest » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Just got served this lying piece of shit.....
We will get straight to the point: This Wednesday we ask you to protect Wikipedia's independence. We depend on donations averaging about £10. Over 99% of our readers don't give. If everyone reading this gave £2, we could keep Wikipedia thriving for years to come. The price of your coffee this Wednesday is all we need. When we made Wikipedia a non-profit, people warned us we'd regret it. But if Wikipedia became commercial, it would be a great loss to the world. Wikipedia is a place for you to learn, not a place for advertising. It unites all of us who love knowledge: contributors, readers and the donors who keep us thriving. The heart and soul of Wikipedia is a community of people working to bring you unlimited access to reliable, neutral information. Please take one minute to help us keep Wikipedia growing. Thank you.

My comments......
We will get straight to the point: Really? Looks like this is going to take a while to read...... This Wednesday we ask you to protect Wikipedia's independence. I never knew Wikipedia was a country. I mean, you act like you are, ignoring everybody else's laws and rights, but I never thought you would ever admit it We depend on donations averaging about £10. Yeah, I prefer to focus on the $millions you get from Google. Over 99% of our readers don't give. Yeah, it's almost like they think your product is worthless. Quite the vote of confidence, eh? If everyone reading this gave £2, we could keep Wikipedia thriving for years to come. And if everyone gave it to UNICEF, some kids might not die The price of your coffee this Wednesday is all we need. Yeah, I don't drink coffee. I learned why not to from a more reliable source than your shit pile. When we made Wikipedia a non-profit, people warned us we'd regret it. Who? Larry Sanger? Yeah, he regrets a lot of things, doesn't he. Lunatics in charge of the asylum, is what he calls Wikipedia now, right? But if Wikipedia became commercial, it would be a great loss to the world. No, it would just give you even more incentive to lie, cheat, and do anything else you can to preserve your cancerous existence. Wikipedia is a place for you to learn Who me? No. I read the disclaimer. I have the internet and a library card, what the fuck do I need you for? , not a place for advertising. In the same way you're not a place for wrong information? It unites all of us who love knowledge: contributors Your editors will fight over literally anything. , readers What do you know of your readers? You took away their one means of directly rating your quality years ago. Why was that? and the donors who keep us thriving. Yup, you love your donors, so much so you're lying to them in this very message (I don't suppose they know Wikipedia is entirely self-sustaining, due to the massive pile of their past donations). The heart and soul of Wikipedia is a community of people If Wikipedia is your community, then your heart is dark and you have no soul. working to bring you unlimited access to reliable, neutral information. Working? That's a laugh. Who is their boss? Who sets their schedule? Who assesses their performance? Wikipedians are not working in any sense of the word, they're doing their chosen hobby. That's why the product is shit. Please take one minute to help us keep Wikipedia growing. Thank you. No.
Someone obviously told them that £2 is the going rate for charitable contributions here in the UK. Isn't it funny coincidence how that worked out?

Lying, manipulating, scum.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Begging banners getting desperate

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:35 pm

About all you can really do in cases like this is to point out how the WMF is rolling in cash and hiring its "online friends" like crazy. They lie routinely so totally phony banner ads are minor things by now.

This actually reminds me of the American Red Cross, a major charity that is notorious for taking in rivers of money every year--and wasting most of it. Where I live there have been major wildfires and evacuations this summer, and one constant on Facebook has been: complaints about how poorly-run the Red Cross shelters are, and how arrogant the RC employees are. It's basically now a sinecure for a bunch of former AT&T executives.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/red-cross- ... -are-used/
https://www.propublica.org/article/the- ... -red-cross

Yes, give Wikimedia a billion dollars a year, so Jimbo can fulfill his life's dream, get himself appointed "Chairman Of The Board For Life" or some such, pay himself millions, buy a private island, and be the Richard Branson of encyclopedia crap! Heil Jimbo!