Crap or questionable articles

Good, bad, biased, paid or what-have-you. There's an endless supply.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Crap or questionable articles

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:08 am

Christ, only noticed because SAOCOM 1B was launched today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAOCOM
Synthetic-aperture radar (SAR-L), an L-Band instrument featuring standard, high resolution and global coverage operational modes with resolution ranging from 7 to 100 m, and swath within 50 to 400 km. It features a dedicated high capacity Solid State Recorder (50 to 100 Gbits) for image storage, and a high bit rate downlink system (two X-band channels at 150 Mbits/s each).[10]

The SAOCOM system operates jointly with the Italian COSMO-SkyMed constellation in X-band to provide frequent information relevant for emergency management. This approach of a two SAOCOM and a four COSMO-SkyMed spacecraft configuration offers an effective means of a twice-daily coverage capability. By joining forces, both agencies are able to generate SAR products in X-band and in L-band for their customers.[10]

The SAOCOM system operates jointly with the Italian COSMO-SkyMed constellation in X-band to provide frequent information relevant for emergency management. This approach of a two SAOCom and a four COSMO-SkyMed spacecraft configuration offers an effective means of a twice-daily coverage capability. By joining forces, both agencies are able to generate SAR products in X-band and in L-band for their customers.[10]
Thank this creature.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:CRS-20

Eric Corbett
Sucks

Post by Eric Corbett » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:23 pm

It's pretty obvious to anyone that the overwhelming majority of Wikipedia's articles are crap, or should be, and many are at best of questionable notability.

But even when a subject is notable, taking the case of townships as an example, they're almost always dragged down by this kind of crap:https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =981511089

Now I'm sure the two Hogan brothers are very decent people, but who is this "Matthew Hughes (Famous Software Engineer)"?

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:30 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:23 pm
Now I'm sure the two Hogan brothers are very decent people, but who is this "Matthew Hughes (Famous Software Engineer)"?
Heh, and googling his name doesn't help -- there are scores of people with that name associated with IT somehow.

Get used to this, I think it's becoming MORE commonplace and not less. The dysfunction and incompetence are spreading.

Eric Corbett
Sucks

Post by Eric Corbett » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:40 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:30 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:23 pm
Heh, and googling his name doesn't help -- there are scores of people with that name associated with IT somehow.

Get used to this, I think it's becoming MORE commonplace and not less. The dysfunction and incompetence are spreading.
And spreading from an already wide base.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:23 pm

Clever vandalism--just copy the same article 4 times. Difficult to notice......

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =977006615

Follow-up: "Wikipedia vandalism is fixed quickly" MY ASS. The above edit was made on Oct 13, and I posted it here on Oct 20, a WEEK later. And on Thursday, two days AFTER THAT, the blatant vandalism remains.....