British food

Talk about food
Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

British food

Post by Flip Flopped » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Quote by proud British cook Helen Brown putting down U.S. popovers (From the WP article talk page for Popover)
We come from Yorkshire and partner makes great Yorkshire Puddings. We have recently eaten popovers in the US and there was no difference at all between them and the puddings that we make at home. The only thing is that popovers are wasted as they are eaten with strawberry butter and not with brown gravy and a pot roast/meat joint dinner that we would eat them with in the UK. Helen Brown Northampton UK - - - -
That'll show the damned Americans!

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: British food

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:02 pm

Wish someone would make me Yorkshire puddings. It's supposed to be a moderately difficult trick; getting them to rise without yeast. You have to follow a weird procedure to the letter and it's "too difficult" for restaurant chefs or something.

The only really good thing Brit food has given us is the "full breakfast" and I'm not even sure they invented it. Plus it's been turned into an "eating contest" item.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:07 am

This guy tested what makes Yorkshire Pudding successful (link, archive).

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Sat May 06, 2017 1:45 am

TIL they have many flavours of tinned savory pies in Britain. Apparently they are quite good as you cook it in the tin? Hard to believe.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:38 pm

O yeh.Yorkshire Pudding, scones and Christmas pudding. My Irish aunt and my mother had a kind of strange competition in these things. That Christmas pudding thing started mouths before with rum and storing in the cellar. Heavy, with that icing. But in general I agree with suckadmin, it is not the best food of the world, although it has improved. The best food is in my opinion the Italian, but I was never outside Europe, so I can't judge.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:39 am

Graaf Statler wrote:O yeh.Yorkshire Pudding, scones and Christmas pudding. My Irish aunt and my mother had a kind of strange competition in these things. That Christmas pudding thing started mouths before with rum and storing in the cellar. Heavy, with that icing. But in general I agree with suckadmin, it is not the best food of the world, although it has improved. The best food is in my opinion the Italian, but I was never outside Europe, so I can't judge.
This is off-topic, but how did you like Greek food, Graaf?

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:30 pm

I start a new topic, Flip.

AndrewForson
Sucks Critic

Post by AndrewForson » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Graaf Statler wrote:O yeh.Yorkshire Pudding, scones and Christmas pudding. My Irish aunt and my mother had a kind of strange competition in these things. That Christmas pudding thing started mouths before with rum and storing in the cellar. Heavy, with that icing. But in general I agree with suckadmin, it is not the best food of the world, although it has improved. The best food is in my opinion the Italian, but I was never outside Europe, so I can't judge.

If there was icing on it, it was probably a Christmas cake, not a pudding.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:35 am

AndrewForson wrote:

If there was icing on it, it was probably a Christmas cake, not a pudding.

You are right. It was made with rum, glace cherries, currants, spices and brown sugar. And there were always christmas crackers.
But now I am talking about more than fifty years ago.

AndrewForson
Sucks Critic

Post by AndrewForson » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:26 am

You will be pleased to hear that we expect to be having a precisely similar cake, home-made, again this year. Oh, with marzipan, too.