Greek Food

Talk about food
Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Greek Food

Post by Graaf Statler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:54 pm

A new topic about Greek food.

Flip Flopped wrote:
Graaf Statler wrote:O yeh.Yorkshire Pudding, scones and Christmas pudding. My Irish aunt and my mother had a kind of strange competition in these things. That Christmas pudding thing started mouths before with rum and storing in the cellar. Heavy, with that icing. But in general I agree with suckadmin, it is not the best food of the world, although it has improved. The best food is in my opinion the Italian, but I was never outside Europe, so I can't judge.
This is off-topic, but how did you like Greek food, Graaf?

(© Graaf Statler)

The secret of Greek food is olive oil, and most restaurants in Europe and in the tourist areas don't use the right oil. To cook greek food you need local, cold pressed oil from of best quality. And I don't know about America, but most Greek food in the Greek restaurants is not Greek, it's balkan. Much meat, french fries, Greek salad, that's Balkan grill, and not Greek food.

I wrote a article about the Greek cuisine on Wikipedia-NL, but according to the standard of Wikipedia it's 100% original research. (Robot)

I think it gives a good impression about the Greek cuisine. But I noticed after a time we started to cook European in Greece., because the dishes are often high fat. And because we are Dutch, and Holland has a very international kitchen.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Re: Greek Food

Post by Flip Flopped » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:31 am

I didn't realize Greek salad isn't authentic for Greece.

How is Greek wine?

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:51 am

Flip Flopped wrote:I didn't realize Greek salad isn't authentic for Greece.

How is Greek wine?

Greek salat is authentic for Greece, but in summer, and in not in the combination they serve it in the Greek restaurants in Europe.

In general the Greek wine is low quality. There are some wineries what makes really good wines, on Santorini for instance, but they are expensive compered to the French and Italian wines. And the German, because the Lidl, a German discounter, active in many country, is selling German wine for dump prices in Greece. The Greek agriculture is inefficient and that is the reason many of their products are to expensieve, also wine. But in Greece there drink a lot of home made wine. Also in taverna's they offer this wine often.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:41 pm

That's interesting that Greek agriculture is inefficient. Have they not industrialized agriculture on a massive scale? It's scary and depressing to see American agriculture.

I hear the California grape harvest this year is in peril due to lack of labor.

Stanistani

Post by Stanistani » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:56 am

Now I want Moussaka.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:19 am

Yeh, let's have the real Moussaka! I don't know about other country's, but the moussaka they are serving in our Greek restaurants in Holland most times has nothing to do with the real Moussaka you get in Greece. In the reel Greek restaurants there, because in touristic areas it's often frozen stuff out of a factory.
It's a lot of work to make. I always make my one minced meat, use of course my good oil, and buy aubergines in the Turkish shop, because the have more tasty ones out of Turkey.
A pity internet has so much limitations, otherwise I had made a good Moussaka for all of you. And I didn't win this year the new years lottery, so I can't invite you all at my expenses.
Maybe we should ask WMF for a scholarship for a free source Moussaka mouvement, they have money enough..

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:01 am

Opa!

the saganaki flames.

Quick! a lemon.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:11 pm

To be honest, I prefere παστίτσιο, because after the starter saganaki you have eaten enough. You don't need even a breakfast the next day. And most Greek cheeses are not my favoriete, because I prefer Dutch, French or Italian cheese, except Feta and mesitra.

But it is one of the few easy to make Greek dishes, and that makes it populair. Because in most Greek restaurants you get nowadays what you shout call fast food. Oma (granny) is not in the kitchen for days anymore, not in Greece and not i Europe.