MIT students don't understand the value and taste of freshly milled whole wheat flour. No wonder the world is messed up

Talk about food
ylevental
Sucks

MIT students don't understand the value and taste of freshly milled whole wheat flour. No wonder the world is messed up

Post by ylevental » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:18 pm

Being on the autism spectrum, alternative foods are one of my special interests.

https://old.reddit.com/r/mit/comments/t ... mpany_one/

It should have been obvious to begin with, because all fresh food is more nutritious. Whole wheat flour decays much slower than fruits and vegetables, but WW flour is often stored at room temperature for several months. The taste of Fresh WW reminds me of seeds or nuts.

Most of the comments are way too cynical to begin with... The greatest culinary innovation in decades, and they are complaining about the price? I guess it might be advertising, but they are the only company that sells bread from freshly milled flour, which is kind of sad in its own way.

Somebody asked me for evidence that freshly milled flour is better, so I gave them an article from 2004 about decaying seed oil at room temperature.

Why I gave an older article, and what I think took so long for people to figure this out

The science to prove this claim has been around for decades, but most of us are disconnected from nature, so we never thought about how to store whole wheat flour properly. Therefore, most of us ended up eating white flour products, and ignored the overly sharp taste of whole wheat.

It was because of the pandemic that I was quarantined, and started learning about all of this out of interest, and came to this conclusion.

One of the "top minds" of this subreddit even said I knew nothing about bread (with no evidence, ironically). I guess I exaggerated the blah-to-bitter taste of whole wheat flour, but it's very true that most whole wheat bread is not even 100% WW, and these loaves tend to have much more sugar. You will see this in most grocery stores.

Best way to prove this claim

Replicate this study, but include a separate batch of freshly milled whole wheat flour. But it seems they would complain about the cost anyway (even though there are many workarounds). Ah well.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: MIT students don't understand the value and taste of freshly milled whole wheat flour. No wonder the world is messe

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:47 am

I've had this argument with people on "paleo diets" or "all natural diets" etc. before. The problem is, our fellow Americans grew up scarfing down massive amounts of sugar and starch. Not to mention Mickey D's, Taco Bell and other corporate fast-food "products". And the result: the most obese, unhealthy "advanced society" on earth. Worse still: the rest of the world wants to imitate Americans.

Consider what happened when McDonald's shut down in Russia recently.

I'm not convinced that MIT students are all that more "special" than other college students when it comes to diet. They clearly ARE paying a lot more and working a lot harder for an education and they are clearly a lot more arrogant about it after they get out (I've run into a few over the years and they were all quite smug and self-involved snobs). But I suspect they are still eating fast food and questionable supermarket products, no different from the ordinary people they look down on.

ylevental
Sucks

Re: MIT students don't understand the value and taste of freshly milled whole wheat flour. No wonder the world is messe

Post by ylevental » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:39 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:47 am
I've had this argument with people on "paleo diets" or "all natural diets" etc. before. The problem is, our fellow Americans grew up scarfing down massive amounts of sugar and starch. Not to mention Mickey D's, Taco Bell and other corporate fast-food "products". And the result: the most obese, unhealthy "advanced society" on earth. Worse still: the rest of the world wants to imitate Americans.

Consider what happened when McDonald's shut down in Russia recently.

I'm not convinced that MIT students are all that more "special" than other college students when it comes to diet. They clearly ARE paying a lot more and working a lot harder for an education and they are clearly a lot more arrogant about it after they get out (I've run into a few over the years and they were all quite smug and self-involved snobs). But I suspect they are still eating fast food and questionable supermarket products, no different from the ordinary people they look down on.
That person from Russia is way too fat :lol: . In terms of technology, America isn't the most advanced society, not even close. Japanese hardware is far more advanced than American hardware. They are also much physically healthier too.

When I was really young, everyone said that MIT was the nerd capital of the world, which made it seem amazing. Probably many of their graduates work long hours on something-or-other, and don't really prioritize diet. Bill Lumbergh from Office Space was an MIT graduate. MIT probably doesn't live up to the hype in many cases.