Controversial Subject: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Talk about food
Stanistani

Controversial Subject: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Post by Stanistani » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:52 am

In my youth, my mother made grilled cheese sandwiches using white bread, cheddar, mayonnaise to keep it together, and butter in the pan to get a golden brown crust and a good flavor profile.

What's your ideal grilled cheese sandwich?

I myself favor sourdough bread, a sharp cheddar, a bit of brown mustard, and grilled using a bit of olive oil in a pan on a high heat.

suckadmin
Janitor

Re: Controversial Subject: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Post by suckadmin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:05 pm

Never heard of putting mayo or mustard on a grilled cheese but nothing surprises me anymore

badmachine
Sucker

Post by badmachine » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:25 pm

Stanistani wrote:What's your ideal grilled cheese sandwich?

White bread, government cheese, and butter or margarine. In the absence of government cheese, use Kraft Deli Deluxe or any cheese that doesn't say "cheese food".

Fry it in a skillet that's already preheated with butter/margarine in it. :chefkiss:

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:15 am

Not really a mayo fan myself. Of course the traditional chedder is good, but I like my grilled cheese with pepper jack or maybe a smoked chedder. I made one once with a horseradish chedder cheese too. That turned out pretty good and had some kick to it.
#BbbGate

FUCKBOynotT0Day
Sucks Noob

Post by FUCKBOynotT0Day » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:56 pm

I love them with onions

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:55 am

No grilled cheese for me. Cheese varies all over the place in lactose content.

Lactose intolerance....you would not believe the agony. Must be experienced first-hand. Ice cream seems to be the worst. I eat one scoop and for the next 18 hours I suffer. Cluster headaches, teeth hurt, joints ache, stiff neck, nausea, gas and bloating leading to lower bowel pain, constipation, some dizziness. Painkillers do little or nothing, even opioids. The only way to stop it is a big dose of lactase with liquids and waiting out a couple more hours of misery.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:30 am

Well, Eric, I am getting interested in veganism and biologic food, but shouldn't that not something for you to explore? I mean slowly, not in a fanatic way. Because there are so many additions in our modern food and often it is a combination, and not only the lactose.
Because I absolute believe in hardly any alcohol, no smoking and a health diet with first class olive oil as base. And of course people are now thinking you had a almost deadly heart attack but the doctors now are speaking of a miracle how I am recovering and they can't believe I have survived. And I think it is because of my lifestyle the past 30 years.

calming
Sucks Noob

Post by calming » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:32 am

Just saw a youtube video with brioche hamburger bun grilled cheese. Looked good. Will try.

badmachine
Sucker

Post by badmachine » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:09 pm

ericbarbour wrote:No grilled cheese for me. Cheese varies all over the place in lactose content.

Lactose intolerance....you would not believe the agony. Must be experienced first-hand. Ice cream seems to be the worst. I eat one scoop and for the next 18 hours I suffer. Cluster headaches, teeth hurt, joints ache, stiff neck, nausea, gas and bloating leading to lower bowel pain, constipation, some dizziness. Painkillers do little or nothing, even opioids. The only way to stop it is a big dose of lactase with liquids and waiting out a couple more hours of misery.

my friend swears by something called Chao. it's some sort of vegan cheese-like substance and he alleges that it tastes like cheese and that it even stretches like melted cheese. you could always try that. he uses Texas toast for the bread FWIW