2019 editor gender survey

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

2019 editor gender survey

Post by CrowsNest » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:37 pm

Apparently this is now already being seen by visitors to Wikipedia (judging by the way the Wikipediocracy Gamergaters are freaking the fuck out and making crude jokes)

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Researc ... of_editors

Anyway, serious critics might like to note there doesn't seem to be any information about whether the results are to be published, or if so, how and where.

Dysklyver
Sucks Critic

Re: 2019 editor gender survey

Post by Dysklyver » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:57 pm

CrowsNest wrote:... serious critics might like to note there doesn't seem to be any information about whether the results are to be published, or if so, how and where.

Good to see someone actually doing criticism. ;)

It appears that the data will be used internally by the WMF Gender Gap project, and I would guess they will make some foundation blog post saying how awesome they are if they find the percentage of female editors has increased, and consign it to the nearest bin if it's actually lower.

Covering themselves perhaps. :?

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:52 pm

They're doing criticism now, finally (you really should stop giving them prompts, they were having so much fun up to then).......
If you ask me, the real point to consider here doesn't involve the choices being presented, it's the fact that the survey is being done out in the open, accessible to all registered users. From a totally cynical perspective like mine, this is actually a smart move by the WMF. Previous surveys were done as part of lengthy questionnaires that users had to sign up for in advance. This one is very quick and simple, so there's a chance they'll get a whole different participant grouping, which in theory could allow them to claim an improvement in their diversity numbers without their doing any actual work. If it doesn't, no problem - these results will simply be shoved down the memory hol
The cynic in me thinks that there is a dissonance between suggesting this a smart move and that they're merely leaving it to chance.

Perhaps he has realized there is no future in the promulgation of conspiracy theories, and so he is hedging his bets, by only weakly suggesting it.

It seems obvious that a responsible cynic can only limit themselves to stating why they might have been reluctant to state in advance how and where the results will be published.

I mean, let's be real, the smart move is to simply falsify the results, if the ability to make a specific claim was the desired result. I'll throw a bone to Mr. Tin Foil in his hour of need - it is noted the thing is being run in-house.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Someone tell the fuckwits of Wikipediocracy that the WMF already explained the thing they're scratching their monkey brains over, inbetween whatever the duck that thread has now turned into.
We use Man/Woman instead of Male/Female as we are asking about gender and not sex.
So yes, they did put thought into it.

It must piss the WMF off no end that their supposed critics are so stupid they don't even read the shit they're supposedly criticising. Even more so to realize most of them are Wikipedians.

Dysklyver
Sucks Critic

Post by Dysklyver » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:44 am

CrowsNest wrote:... whatever the [f]uck that thread has now turned into ...

Well the WPO thread descended into accursed transphobia pretty quickly and any small merit it originally had is undoubtedly lost. :?