Kumioko Drama Chapter 17: The End?

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
Mutineer
Sucks Fan

Kumioko Drama Chapter 17: The End?

Post by Mutineer » Fri May 26, 2017 9:06 am

I noticed on some inferior discussion board that Kumioko had made public comment about his WMF "global ban." I guess he typed it up a few days ago. Here it is:

I (Kumioko) have attempted to get clarification from the WMF why I was banned but I have yet to receive it and frankly don't expect too. Most likely it was because I had been blocked on three projects and IRC and they knew at this point I wasn't going to stop fighting what I continue to feel were politically motivated and policy violating project bans.

Obviously I disagree with the ban given by the WMF the amount of work I have done on the projects and the amount of time I have been fighting to improve the environment there however I have always maintained that the WMF, more than the individual admins, have a right to ban whomever they want for pretty much any reason they want. I am naturally disappointed they chose to do it to me instead of truly problematic individuals like Floquenbeam or Drmies but it's not unexpected. So although I am not happy about it, the WMF has the ultimate right to ban people and I have to abide by that whether I want too or not.

The WMF probably doesn't have a good reason, at least from a legally defensible position to ban me or most others including Greg for that matter so the less they say about it that can be used against them the better. Especially sinc there are policies that state to "ignore all rules" and because they bill themselves as the "Encyclopedia anyone can edit". It is important to note that we are not "Legally banned", meaning the legal team was not involved in the decision but we are "Globally banned" meaning that most likely it was just Jason Alexander making the call.

Also, there was a recent dispute on Wikipedia review where a member was referring to me as a pedophile and after repeatedly asking them to stop and after the mods refused to take action, I was forced to go to proboards to have it removed. After I did that, then the mods removed it, changed the logic in the board so that word cannot even be used there and then banned me because they were mad I went over their heads and complained about libelous statements that they would not do anything about. So, if you go looking for me there as Kingsidian suggests, I am not there.

So although I haven't always had kind things to say about some of the people or atmosphere here, no one here has tried to get me fired from my job like people on Wikipedia have and you didn't ban me because I complained about libelous statements like Wikipedia review. So Wikipediocracy is still better than both of those in my book. Cheers!

It's interesting he attributes the ban to unilateral action of the WMF's "Jason Alexander" whom readers from the prior Proboards Wikipedia Sucks! board will recall behaved thuggishly to a photographer-journalist at a San Diego Wikipedia event.

As well that he claims to have been called "pedophile" (something I never remotely thought of Kumioko and disbelieve entirely) at the Wikipedia Review Proboards board. I would caution those who run this board to keep their guard up against trolls that make loose accusations or insinuations of pedophilia. I suspect their motive is to take down the board in question.

EDIT: fix typo only.
I am "Modsquad" here, and participate, but I don't want you to think we can't have an angry argument.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Kumioko Drama Chapter 17: The End?

Post by ericbarbour » Sat May 27, 2017 2:03 am

Mutineer wrote:It's interesting he attributes the ban to unilateral action of the WMF's "Jason Alexander" whom readers from the prior Proboards Wikipedia Sucks! board will recall behaved thuggishly to a photographer-journalist at a San Diego Wikipedia event.

As well that he claims to have been called "pedophile" (something I never remotely thought of Kumioko and disbelieve entirely) at the Wikipedia Review Proboards board. I would caution those who run this board to keep their guard up against trolls that make loose accusations or insinuations of pedophilia. I suspect their motive is to take down the board in question.

Kumioko, we all have to admit, is a hopeless WP addict. But he's right about (James) Alexander. The WMF "Manager of Trust And Safety" is an awful Wikipedia editor IMO--he's spent most of his time since 2009 reverting and banning "vandals", who sometimes aren't, and doing things generally in a very slapdash way. He is a little shit and I can prove it.

From a thread on the old WS forum, April 2016:
"So I'm browsing Wikimedia-L today and there's an email from James Alexander the WMF's "Trust and Safety Manager." I wouldn't entrust the safety of an houseplant to him. Every time I ever looked at this guy in the context of WMF matters, he's making excuses for never accomplishing anything. Such as:"

"1 ) This matters of the utmost importance, but we're handling other urgent projects right now. I hope to get back to it in a few weeks."

"2) It takes literally hundreds of man-hours for me to coordinate with WMF Legal, even for a single San-Fran-Ban."

"3) I've got an overdue vacation coming up, but after that, I'm optimistic about getting a grip on this project."

"4) I just came in over the weekend to handle an emergency matter, and I'm catching my breath. Should be able to get a determination on this project sometime after that."

"5) Boy, I've just received a lot of priority tasking from higher up. Once I work through some of that, should be able to get back to this other stuff."

"6) This project requires an intense amount of cooperation with other WMF team-members. They're working on other urgent stuff right now, but we should be able to coordinate just after that."

"Etc., etc., etc." "Here's what that vagabond said in the email today:"

"James Alexander <jalexander AT wikimedia DOT org> apr., 13 at 7:24"
"*As an update on the committee*: I'm hoping to get the standing committee fully up and running before Wikimania. It was delayed given the multitude of other issues recently (for example the resolution actually required us to have the ED taking part and the last time I had a fully breathing moment to start the process we didn't...) but once WikiCon is over we should be able to get that process up and running."

"I swear every time I come across him (in his WMF employment context) he's making excuses like that. It's as much a part of him as breathing. Constantly. It first irritated me because I was looking for some answers on the access-to-non-public-information policy. He was nominally in charge of getting that together, but it was immediately transparent he was making excuses for procrastination. Stonewalling. Slow-walking. Evading. "Gold-bricking" if that term isn't too archaic. Finally like a *year and an half* after the board of trustees said it was changing the policy, they hire a contractor that does it in like two weeks. He's a pathetic employee. Of course he is known to do useless stuff that he feels a whim to do at any time. That happened with the "Orange Moody" investigation where they're banning all these legitimate editors from Bangladesh vicinity for no other reason that they're Bangladeshi and accepted tiny amounts of pay for neutral content work (which is not forbidden under policy). In that case he put together this hella stupid graph in Microsoft Excel (or whatever) in which he meticulous entered like an hundred IP addresses and then dramatically revealed it as a mass of dots on a grid which was supposed to be some kind of "aha!" moment, but was really meaningless and showed nothing except a bunch of IPs that edited from a geographic region."

Plus let's not forget his messing with the WMF "Privacy Policy":
3 September 2013, the largest expansion ever undertaken. Posted by WMF Legal employee James Alexander, more infamous as vandalism patroller and Warcraft fan Jamesofur. The policy page doubled in one edit. Conventional legal language such as "Except insofar as it may be required by law, no person should disclose, or knowingly expose, either user passwords and/or cookies generated to identify a user. Once created, user accounts will not be removed. It may be possible for a username to be changed, depending on the policies of individual projects. The Foundation does not guarantee that a username will be changed on request" was replaced with crap like "We also recognize that some of you know the ins and outs of tracking pixels while others associate the term “cookie” exclusively with the chocolate variety". Idiotic cartoons were added. Alexander was the primary author and controller of the policy page until Michelle Paulson, Roshni Patel, and other WMF Legal employees took over in early 2014, whereupon the idiotic cartoons quickly disappeared.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Sat May 27, 2017 10:08 pm

The Dark Knight had a go at Kumioko and referred to Kumioko's ban as a "pedo ban." This was after Kumioko had said that The Dark Knight was Greg or Floquenbeam. That argument disintegrated into further discussion of whether calling Kumioko's SanFranBan a "pedo ban" might falsely associate Kumioko with pedophilia. The Dark Knight seemed to think that nobody would make that false association. Kumioko wanted the phrase "pedo ban" removed from the post about him. Before I saw what was happening Kumioko had announced that he had emailed ProBoards over that language being associated with him. Apparently he works with classified information and was concerned for his reputation. By the time I logged in Kumioko had been banned. I am sympathetic to Kumioko's concerns.

Zaphod B.
Sucks Noob

Post by Zaphod B. » Wed May 31, 2017 11:47 pm

OMG, everywhere I turn I find another criticism springing up and everyone has threads about this Kumioko person. People must have loved this martyr! :D

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:52 pm

Zaphod B. wrote:OMG, everywhere I turn I find another criticism springing up and everyone has threads about this Kumioko person. People must have loved this martyr! :D

And nobody loves you at all. Envious much?