John

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
Larkin
Sucks

John

Post by Larkin » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:44 pm

I see the admin John has retired. Anyone able to dish the dirt on him?

I had a real run-in with him back in 2011. He was a school teacher of Chemistry at an Edinburgh school who ran a vanity web site featuring his photographs, which were uniformally unexceptionable. He got addicted to Wikipedia and eventually made it to admin (I think he had a couple of goes at that first), ultimately chucking in his teaching job and moving to America and taking up some kind of a position with the Wikipedia Foundation I suspect. He was 9/11 conspiracist and acively promoted that in Wikipedia. He also provided a BLP I remember for his artist mother who was otherwise quite unnoticeable; no major exhibitions, publications, reviews, nix.

Curious to know more about him.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Re: John

Post by Abd » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:03 pm

Larkin wrote:I see the admin John has retired. Anyone able to dish the dirt on him?
You mean John. Admin since 2006. Last user page before retirement. Retirement notice:
RETIRED
This user is no longer active on Wikipedia.

I had a good time here for quite a while, but it's become apparent to me that the project is broken. When you lost hold of the primacy of good writing, moved over towards being a social media site, and (especially) when the value of the FA process was lost, you lost me. So many of the policies now seem meaningless or even counterproductive; the one that I think sticks is this one. Randy from Boise is now running the site unchallenged, and the articles suffer in consequence. So it goes. John (talk) 10:41, 31 May 2019 (UTC)

What is the point of digging up dirt on a retired admin, who has not really been active for over a year? If he's currently offensive somewhere, point to it.

As to his opinion in retirement, he was one of many who might have made a difference, by standing for the development of coherent community structure, but he didn't. Hardly anyone did, and those who did were harassed by the mob, and did John do anything about that? No. they weren't after him, so not his problem.

The project continues to muddle along, but in terms of the vision that many had in those days, it died, not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Larkin
Sucks

Post by Larkin » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:39 pm

Abd wrote:
<snip>

What is the point of digging up dirt on a retired admin, who has not really been active for over a year? If he's currently offensive somewhere, point to it.

As to his opinion in retirement, he was one of many who might have made a difference, by standing for the development of coherent community structure, but he didn't. Hardly anyone did, and those who did were harassed by the mob, and did John do anything about that? No. they weren't after him, so not his problem.

The project continues to muddle along, but in terms of the vision that many had in those days, it died, not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Well, the point is I'll be writing elsewhere about matters in which this character played a tangential role.

Larkin
Sucks

Post by Larkin » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:29 pm

Graaf Statler wrote:He, get lost here back to WO please and Abd Fuck of here with your bull, it has been enough.

Surely not addressing me? WO (who or what)?

Get this right. I know John to be a narcissistic POS. Info about him appreciated.

JuiceBeetle
Sucks Warrior

Post by JuiceBeetle » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:32 pm

Larkin wrote:Surely not addressing me? WO (who or what)?

Sorry for that. Graaf Statler's comments usually end up in his dedicated topic.
WO = WPO = Wikipediocracy forum

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:46 pm

Part of the infamous Manchester Mafia, a Wikipedia Originalist, BLP zealot, played a major role in securing the Daily Mail ban. Not a drama whore, but not afraid to get his boots dirty.

All round, he was massively opinionated but a bit of a clueless ass about even things he claimed to know about. Wikipedia has never valued FA, otherwise it would have never been the case that the percentage of Features content has remained at 0.1% for as long as I've known. His genius about the Mail is that if they have something Wikipedia needs, it will be in another source. Proveably false.

His whole hearted adoption of the "Randy In Boise" meme tells you everything you need to know. Never met a Wikipedian yet who believed in that essay, and wasn't a complete and total cock.

I celebrated his departure here....

https://www.wikipediasucks.co/forum/vie ... 198#p10198

To be honest, I'd completely forgotten he had even existed until I saw this thread. As it should be with these fucking nobodies.

Larkin
Sucks

Post by Larkin » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:05 am

CrowsNest wrote:Part of the infamous Manchester Mafia, a Wikipedia Originalist, BLP zealot, played a major role in securing the Daily Mail ban. Not a drama whore, but not afraid to get his boots dirty.

<snipped>

https://www.wikipediasucks.co/forum/vie ... 198#p10198

To be honest, I'd completely forgotten he had even existed until I saw this thread. As it should be with these fucking nobodies.

Thanks for this (and also to JuiceBeetle above). Enjoyed your appreciation. I thought the Daily Mail ban quite wrong too.

I'll link here when I get round to writing about John. It will be a few months at least, more like Summer next year.