EvergreenFir at RfA

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

EvergreenFir at RfA

Post by CrowsNest » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:24 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ergreenFir

It says everything about how the Wikipedia community is in the total grip of assholes and women haters, that a women candidate for Administrator, in 2019, when we are meant to believe Wikipedia is growing and changing, still has to profusely apologize for a five year old dispute with the notoriously misogynistic and exceptionally hateful Eric Corbett, before she can even think of standing for a position of any power over others at all.

It wouldn't be so funny if it weren't for the fact Eric Corbett is of course currently ArbCom blocked, unlikely ever to return. Not blocked for the countless violations of his increasingly complex and convoluted sanctions, all crafted over the years to find a way his nasty, uncompromising, unapologetic, vicious little ass, could be retained as a Wikipedian. No, he got blocked for committing the one policy breach that every Wikipedian can agree is at least a gross breach of trust, the crime of creating a sock puppet to evade a block.

Even then, he was at least afforded the luxury of having been let off his first offence for he exact same thing a few years years earlier, under the oldest excuse in the book, the one that makes everyone's eyes roll - 'it was my roommate'. Probably never works for a woman, what with it requiring extreme levels of good faith and a disregard for the sexist stereotype that women were schemers. Anyone know otherwise?

Perhaps this woman has been playing the long game, and after years of paying her dues for challenging the orthodoxy and the patriarchy, keeping her nose clean so as to set up a successful run as a reformed character, she intends to Administrate Wikipedia as the same person who held the same distaste of people like Corbett all those years ago. I somehow doubt it.

To truly understand how fucked up this is, this is what she said in her evidence to the GGTF Arbitration Case......
Evidence presented by EvergreenFir
I have little to add beyond what has already been copy-pasted from my previous comments. My thanks to Robert McClenon for that. My only other comment is that Eric Corbett's behavior in GGTF is but a part of a larger pattern of egregious behavior that is (1) blatantly repeatedly uncivil and (2) above any community recourse as seen in this ANI. EvergreenFir (talk) 05:02, 17 October 2014 (UTC)
The aforementioned submission by her, added by Robert.....
I am happy to see that this issue has finally be brought up. The talk page on WP:GGTF has been particularly plagued by polemic and disruptive comments by some editors. Of particular concern to me is Eric Corbett who has repeatedly engaged in personal attacks and general FORUM behavior. While no single edit was particularly egregious, their sum shows a pattern of incivility, disrespect, and disruptive behavior as well as the edit summaries. While he did relent a bit after I gave him a warning ([311]) (which he dismissed as "nonsense") and the resulting "conversation" on my user talk page, his actions continued. Eric appears to have a history of personal attacks judging by his extensive block log.

(followed by a bucket load of diffs of incivility, personal attacks, harassment, etc)
Was she wrong? Of course she wasn't? Eric Corbett is and always was the editor his detractors said he was, and true to his word, in all the years his protectors and enablers tried to live with the consequences of allowing him to continue to be all he wanted to be, never once even expecting him to admit fault, let alone commit to changing his behavior, which is what pretty much every other disruptive Wikipedian has to do eventually.

She wasn't wrong all those years ago, and if the Arbitration Committee had shown the balls that it's majority male membership possess by quirk of nature, they would have banned him, or otherwise acted in such a way that showed they were serious about enforcing the rules on that most famous example of the Vested Contributor problem, and it they had, he may have by now even been rehabilitated and welcomed back into the fold, a changed man. Maybe.

But to gain even a limited amount of status and respect in the male, asshole, dominated Wikipedia community, she has to act like she was wrong all those years ago, and Eric is currently blocked for some other reason than karma. You don't need to look hard to find people claiming he is currently blocked as a result of a feminist conspiracy aimed at flowering up Wikipedia with their silly notions of equality and respect for all. Objection to that as an objective was after all the reason for his sustained attacks and indeed successful nullification of the GGTF, at least in that form. It persists of course as Women In Red, but they know their allowed remit, only working on content, not user behaviour. Shhhhh!

She has to show she has leaned her place, that she offers no threat, that she will be a good girl. Then she can be rewarded with being treated as an equal to other Administrators, many of whom, whose ranks already include many men, but even some women, whose inability to hold themselves to the basic civility standards required of ordinary editors, much less the higher ones Administrators are theoretically beholden to, is well known. Even then, with her history of being an uppity woman in her new colleague's eyes, should she even pass, well, she wouldn't ever really be equal. Her blocks, warnings and even general commentary would carry less weight, or be more easily ignored/overturned, without anyone really ever admitting why. The unspoken rules.

No surprise that it is Ritchie, himself having these last few months been mercilessly harassing a women editor from a position of power over her, both on Wikipedia, and when he was blocked for a paltry length of time (even that being duly cut short by the community), continued it via the harassment site Wikipediocracy, who is her nominator. He is more than happy to support women who have shown they can be compliant and respectful to the establishment. He is an enthusiastic contributor to Women In Red of course, but I probably don't even need to tell you where he stood in the whole GGTF affair, or more generally the issue of whether rampant incivility is a gender gap issue.

A long time defender of Eric Corbett, Ritchie has only latterly turned on him, the hilarious after effects spilling over into Wikipediocracy, having realized what all his enablers do eventually - supporting Eric doesn't buy you immunity if you do something that displeases him, which in Ritchie's case, was to accept he had taken the absolute piss one too many times to be granted leniency. Even though thankfully, it was not in his remit to offer it this time.

Already people have expressed surprise at even seeing this nomination. I don't think you need to think very hard to understand why Ritchie might have picked this particular editor to choose to end his long absence from nominating candidates.

Wikipedia. A very sick place, populated by some very sick people.

Carrite
Sucks Critic

Re: EvergreenFir at RfA

Post by Carrite » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:22 am

CrowsNest wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_adminship/EvergreenFir

It says everything about how the Wikipedia community is in the total grip of assholes and women haters, that a women candidate for Administrator, in 2019, when we are meant to believe Wikipedia is growing and changing, still has to profusely apologize for a five year old dispute with the notoriously misogynistic and exceptionally hateful Eric Corbett, before she can even think of standing for a position of any power over others at all.

You did just see how the community treated an RFA candidate (George Ruban) who stepped on the toes or got too much in the workspace of female Wikipedian Sagaciousphil, did you not? Far from being a class singled out for mean treatment, women are a consciously protected class at Wikipedia.

I realize that contrary evidence to your Diatribe of the Day™ doesn't weigh much with you. But, as usual, your axioms are false. You build misshapen skyscrapers of prose upon foundations made of sand.

RfB

P.S. I personally believe Phil's complaint was greatly overblown and dramaticized for political effect.

P.P.S. It was a sock of alleged He-Man Woman Hater's Club President Eric Corbett leading the charge against Ruban. Square that circle, please!

--Relevant link--
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia%3ARequests_for_adminship%2FGRuban&type=revision&diff=925386649&oldid=925386574

boredbird
Sucks Mod

Post by boredbird » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:00 pm

CrowsNest wrote:It says everything about how the Wikipedia community is in the total grip of assholes and women haters, that a women candidate for Administrator, in 2019, when we are meant to believe Wikipedia is growing and changing, still has to profusely apologize for a five year old dispute with the notoriously misogynistic and exceptionally hateful Eric Corbett, before she can even think of standing for a position of any power over others at all.

EvergreenFir is not a woman.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:17 pm

Carrite wrote:
CrowsNest wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_adminship/EvergreenFir

You did just see how the community treated an RFA candidate (George Ruban) who stepped on the toes or got too much in the workspace of female Wikipedian Sagaciousphil, did you not? Far from being a class singled out for mean treatment, women are a consciously protected class at Wikipedia.

I realize that contrary evidence to your Diatribe of the Day™ doesn't weigh much with you. But, as usual, your axioms are false. You build misshapen skyscrapers of prose upon foundations made of sand.

RfB

P.S. I personally believe Phil's complaint was greatly overblown and dramaticized for political effect.

P.P.S. It was a sock of alleged He-Man Woman Hater's Club President Eric Corbett leading the charge against Ruban. Square that circle, please!

--Relevant link--
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia%3ARequests_for_adminship%2FGRuban&type=revision&diff=925386649&oldid=925386574
You call that protection? Even if it was entirely as presented, and we both know the whole thing is a classic piece of Wikipedia cabal theatre/crocodile tears, no fucking way is that an example of the community protecting women editors. It is at best, the community saying you can stalk women editors, just don't expect to be rewarded with advanced permissions years later. And we certainly both know Eric Corbett didn't show up in a spider suit to make a point about protecting women editors.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:16 am

Now that is a woman who has definitely learned her place......
Today, I view my past actions and mindset as somewhat embarrassing and, for lack of a better word, the Wiki equivalent to arguing with strangers in the comments on Facebook. As I mentioned, I was too emotionally invested in Wikipedia and that led to engaging with these larger dramas. In retrospect, I should have listened to folks advice and just left it alone. While I still think many of the actions and comments by EC, Carol, and others were inappropriate, I was foolish to think it was remotely helpful (to myself or Wikipedia) to get involved in it. I should have left it to those who were already involved to handle themselves. EvergreenFir (talk) 06:14, 10 November 2019 (UTC)
Wikipedia. It's rotten to the core.

You wouldn't even be!ieve, reading this capitulation, that Eric was even banned, eventually, much less was caught socking on this very RfA.

They're all just ignoring it, like it has no relevance at all. She was right, the people "handling" it were wrong, and not in a small way, in a VERY BIG WAY.

Eric's habit of being an unapologetically nasty and downright vicious prick is one of the few times the media has actually ever taken notice of what goes on inside the thunderdome. That's how bad it was.

The fuck is this beaten down subservient learned her lesson person even going to do as an Administrator? Clean the toilets? With a smile on her face and a skip in her step to feel so lucky they even trust her to do that?

boredbird
Sucks Mod

Post by boredbird » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:09 am

CrowsNest wrote:Now that is a woman who has definitely learned her place......

See my post above. You are going on about something which isn't real.

JuiceBeetle
Sucks Warrior

Post by JuiceBeetle » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:20 am

EvergreenFir: "I was too emotionally invested in Wikipedia and that led to engaging with these larger dramas"
English: "I believed in the ideals of Wikipedia. I was wrong."
EvergreenFir: "I should have listened to folks advice and just left it alone."
English: "I should have been the sheep that all wikipedians are."
EvergreenFir: "While I still think many of the actions and comments by EC, Carol, and others were inappropriate, I was foolish to think it was remotely helpful (to myself or Wikipedia) to get involved in it."
English: "Disagreeing with the Gods of Thunder was my downfall."
EvergreenFir: "I should have left it to those who were already involved to handle themselves."
English: "I apologize for standing up for my values."

FlatSnout
Sucks Noob

Post by FlatSnout » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Carrite wrote:You did just see how the community treated an RFA candidate (George Ruban) who stepped on the toes or got too much in the workspace of female Wikipedian Sagaciousphil, did you not? Far from being a class singled out for mean treatment, women are a consciously protected class at Wikipedia.

I did. But what really baffled me was that nobody called out the early oppose by SchroCat here. - And I'm not talking about "stalking" being the incorrect word ("wiki-hounding" probably being the correct word), but rather the "... other editors, particularly female ones, is ...": WTF?!? - That's saying that women are intellectually feeble or inferior, incapable of handling and defending themselves in writing, even when protected by the perfect (or near perfect) anonymity of the interwebs. Really, nobody smacked SchroCat on that!?!
(Note: I have no idea about what theatre the SchoCat show is playing at, but it seems to be a long show, judging from what I easily found here.)

boredbird wrote:EvergreenFir is not a woman.

He's a queer (according to infobox on own userpage).

Carrite
Sucks Critic

Post by Carrite » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:11 am

boredbird wrote:
CrowsNest wrote:It says everything about how the Wikipedia community is in the total grip of assholes and women haters, that a women candidate for Administrator, in 2019, when we are meant to believe Wikipedia is growing and changing, still has to profusely apologize for a five year old dispute with the notoriously misogynistic and exceptionally hateful Eric Corbett, before she can even think of standing for a position of any power over others at all.

EvergreenFir is not a woman.

Are you saying that her nominator and both of her co-nominators at her RFA are dissembling? And that my own personal recollection from several years ago is incorrect?

Are you thinking of Pine, perhaps?

RfB

boredbird
Sucks Mod

Post by boredbird » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:33 am

Carrite wrote:And that my own personal recollection from several years ago is incorrect?

Did you meet EvergreenFir in person?