Jytdog thread

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Jytdog thread

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:07 am

Thanks to his recent rotten tricks over the James Damore controversy, I had to look into him more deeply. No doubt Rome Viharo will be along to comment.

This is my writeup for the book wiki (minus links, easy enough to find). He's pulling the same shit that Cirt/Sagecandor, Will Beback, JzG, William Connolley and their little pals have pulled before. I didn't notice it last year but there's a long Wikipediocracy thread about Jytdog.

Little noticed except for his regular appearance in pseudoscience and medical editwars, Jytdog (T-C-F-R-B) arrived on Wikipedia in 2008 and was rarely discussed until the mid 2010s. He rapidly accumulated various minor special powers (rollback, new pages/pending change reviewer, etc) and started to abuse them by 2012-2013. He was often embroiled in Rupert Sheldrake editwars and evidently has a systemic hatred of Monsanto and glyphosate herbicides. Unlike most other Wikipedia insiders, he has done a very good job of hiding his real identity.

By 2016 he had developed a reputation that led to a lengthy Wikipediocracy thread about his activities.

"Jytdog is a relentless article owner who long ago progressed from making sure medically-related articles were based on mainstream science to trying to remove and bury everything even slightly related to alternative medicine. Or in some cases even mainstream stuff that he doesn't personally support. He has a team of supporters who always show up to back him in all disputes and AfDs. The worst part is that he constantly misleads and misrepresents policy to new editors to win content disputes. He's a POV warrior if I ever saw one."
"I know of no greater abuser of WP:FOO stuff than this asshole in order to to own articles, particularly medical stuff. The truly galling part is that he makes liberal (near obsessive) use of COI in medical cases while simultaneously admitting a COI on his own userpage. The guy works for some sort of biomedical/pharma startup and he relentlessly shuts down any attempt to cover alternative medicine in any kind of non-confrontational way, even when it's just a run-of-the-mill bio about some minor person in the alternative or complementary medicine field. I encountered his obsessiveness on the AfD for Randolph Stone link. His obsession with these topics and addiction to editing is Betacommandesque."

Greg Kohs was even more specific:

"1. In trying to modify Wikipedia's Harassment policy, Jytdog has pushed for a carve-out that would leave COI and paid editing an exception to the outing rules. In other words, if you're a paid editor, no courtesy of privacy should be extended to you."

"2. When he asked the community for evidence of the prevalence of paid editing on Wikipedia, when he was given a carefully-documented exercise that evaluated paid and COI editing on 100 random articles about businesses, he called the evidence "bullshit" because it wasn't published in a reliable source."

"3. After Sharyl Attkisson's story about "The Dark Side of Wikipedia", he summed it up with, "Attkisson, in my view is a sloppy-thinking anti-vaccination hack and not worth an iota of anyone's time here.""

"He's a trademark Wikipedian with a sense of superiority, who doesn't handle himself well when presented with views that suggest his thinking may be wrong or misinformed."

As he posted on his own userpage:

"==Privileges removed=="

"In the fall of 2015 an Arbcom case was opened, and it was closed in December 2015: Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Genetically_modified_organisms. Notice of the close was given to me here."

"I was "indefinitely topic-banned from all pages relating to genetically modified organisms and agricultural chemicals, broadly interpreted"; I was "admonished for their poor civility in relation to the locus of this case", and an interaction ban was imposed with another user. The TBAN was made appealable in 12 months."

"==Privileges removed then restored=="

"On 27 June 2016 I was blocked for violating WP:OUTING in the course of doing COI work, and that block was lifted on 8 August 2016 with an indefinite ban from discussing any COI of editors (see unblock notice for details), which was appealable in six months and every six months thereafter. I appealed in February 2017 and the TBAN was lifted. ARCA discussion archived here; notice given to me here."

In August 2017 Jytdog became a principal squabbler in the area related to the firing of Google employee James Damore over his contentious essay about software development being an unsuitable field for women. [46] Starting on 8 August, Jytdog got into a brutal editwar when he tried to remove material and references from the Neuroticism article, which Damore had cited as a reference, in an attempt to weaken Damore's argument. Apparently some edits "mysteriously disappeared", indicating that Jytdog had silent assistance from an oversighter. He was unquestionably getting help from administrators, who blocked several of his foes. This was noticed by Damore supporters. [47][48][49] And it soon spread to right-wing and "men's rights" media. [50]

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Re: Jytdog thread

Post by Flip Flopped » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:59 am

"an unsuitable field for women" could be refined. I think his argument was more that bridging the gender gap wouldn't be possible just through education and pro-active diversity programs because women may not gravitate towards that field in suitable numbers and that may be biologically driven.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:15 am

Flip Flopped wrote:"an unsuitable field for women" could be refined. I think his argument was more that bridging the gender gap wouldn't be possible just through education and pro-active diversity programs because women may not gravitate towards that field in suitable numbers and that may be biologically driven.

If you're referring to the neuroticism article, that's a whole dark and ugly subject of its own. Tell some Wiki feminist editors about this and editwars result---sometimes. Before August 8 it was an article that only attracted psychology nerds--but now Jytdog is the "top editor" with 12.4% of all edits. He does not strike me as actually knowing much about human psychology.

PS, if Jytdog really believed in the Five Pillars, his talkpage wouldn't have twenty-three archives, and shit like this.

He's chopping out references, claiming they are "15 years old" and "not recentish". Show us where in WP:REFERENCES this is "allowable". What a little slime. This is classic SlimVirgin/Connolley/Beback style dirty tricking.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =794596699

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:26 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Flip Flopped wrote:"an unsuitable field for women" could be refined. I think his argument was more that bridging the gender gap wouldn't be possible just through education and pro-active diversity programs because women may not gravitate towards that field in suitable numbers and that may be biologically driven.

If you're referring to the neuroticism article, that's a whole dark and ugly subject of its own. Tell some Wiki feminist editors about this and editwars result---sometimes. Before August 8 it was an article that only attracted psychology nerds--but now Jytdog is the "top editor" with 12.4% of all edits. He does not strike me as actually knowing much about human psychology.

PS, if Jytdog really believed in the Five Pillars, his talkpage wouldn't have twenty-three archives, and shit like this.

He's chopping out references, claiming they are "15 years old" and "not recentish". Show us where in WP:REFERENCES this is "allowable". What a little slime. This is classic SlimVirgin/Connolley/Beback style dirty tricking.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =794596699
I wonder if any of that information was ever returned to the article. Jytdog didn't appear to be able to interpret the references.

The more interesting question is the extent to which environment is responsible for gender differences in neuroticism. Stress is likely to explain the difference while genetics is not, in my opinion. Effective education could bridge the gender gap, but our country hasn't dedicated its resources to that, and our K-12 education system is in shambles. We've been happy to have immigrants do software engineering.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:03 am

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... oyees-memo
The matter of sourcing was eventually raised on the article's Talk Page, where users can discuss an article's governance and edits. Some of the page's sources, one editor claimed, were outdated, and not enough secondary sources were included to contextualize primary materials.

"There is a bunch of fairly loaded content sourced to very old, primary refs. We use recent (less than 5 years old) reviews in good quality journals and textbooks," one editor wrote.

moneypenny
Sucks

Post by moneypenny » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:54 am

ericbarbour wrote:https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/bjj8jz/an-edit-war-is-brewing-on-the-neuroticism-wikipedia-page-after-being-cited-in-google-employees-memo
The matter of sourcing was eventually raised on the article's Talk Page, where users can discuss an article's governance and edits. Some of the page's sources, one editor claimed, were outdated, and not enough secondary sources were included to contextualize primary materials.

"There is a bunch of fairly loaded content sourced to very old, primary refs. We use recent (less than 5 years old) reviews in good quality journals and textbooks," one editor wrote.
Hi Eric,

Jytdog is a snivelling turd and shill for big time pharma (although Flip disagrees).

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:40 am

moneypenny wrote:
ericbarbour wrote:https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/bjj8jz/an-edit-war-is-brewing-on-the-neuroticism-wikipedia-page-after-being-cited-in-google-employees-memo

Hi Eric,

Jytdog is a snivelling turd and shill for big time pharma (although Flip disagrees).
I have no opinion as to whether Jytdog is paid by pharmaceutical companies. You've accused a number of Wikipedians of that, but offered no evidence. The chance that Heilman is paid for Wikipedia edits by pharmaceutical companies is rather small, yet you accused him of that and stated it as a fact.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:29 am

MP is banned FYI.

I would not be at all surprised if Jytdog is another "special purpose" Cirt sockpuppet. He's got quite a few.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:54 pm

ericbarbour wrote:MP is banned FYI.

I would not be at all surprised if Jytdog is another "special purpose" Cirt sockpuppet. He's got quite a few.
Would Cirt have had time to be Jytdog?

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:14 am

Flip Flopped wrote:Would Cirt have had time to be Jytdog?

It's possible. I've seen SlimVirgin go on insane 48-hour-straight editing benders. Don't ask me how they do it. Trucker meth maybe.