I just got an indefinite block in retaliation for archiving an admin's warning on my talk page

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
TMC1982
Sucks

I just got an indefinite block in retaliation for archiving an admin's warning on my talk page

Post by TMC1982 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:35 am

So today, an administrator (I'm not going to give out their name for the time being) left a message on my talk page telling my that one of my recent edits was close to a copyright violation. They informed me that they had to delete it and advised me that further edits like that would get me blocked indefinitely. Well, some time later, I moved all of my most recent messages into my archive. This administrator responded by putting me on an indefinite block anyway.

When I tried to apologize, they said that the reason why I've been blocked was because they didn't appreciate me archiving their warning instead of immediately and directly acknowledging their warning first. Plus, this administrator quite patronizingly said that with over 37,000 edits under my belt, I should already know full well how the copyright guidelines on Wikipedia should work.

And they also brought up several other recent edits of mine (which they didn't even refer to me about initially) to prove that I don't care about the rules and deliberately go out of my way to violate the copyright policy. The administrator said point blank that I displayed a habit of overquoting, even though their initial complaint was that the phrasing that I used in the paragraphs was too similar to the one in the newspaper articles.

TMC1982
Sucks

Re: I just got an indefinite block in retaliation for archiving an admin's warning on my talk page

Post by TMC1982 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:44 pm

How common is it for Wikipedia administrators to put an indefinite block on a user in response to the user not directly acknowledging the administrator's warning in their talk page?

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: I just got an indefinite block in retaliation for archiving an admin's warning on my talk page

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:42 am

TMC1982 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:44 pm
How common is it for Wikipedia administrators to put an indefinite block on a user in response to the user not directly acknowledging the administrator's warning in their talk page?
Depends on the admin. Some of them are called "Evil Patrollers" for a reason. They literally masturbate by blocking people.

Look at the admin's block log. Obscenely long and full of indef blocks? That is an evil patroller.

TMC1982
Sucks

Post by TMC1982 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:39 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:42 am
TMC1982 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:44 pm
Depends on the admin. Some of them are called "Evil Patrollers" for a reason. They literally masturbate by blocking people.

Look at the admin's block log. Obscenely long and full of indef blocks? That is an evil patroller.
Somebody elsewhere told me archiving warnings is fine - in fact, it is viewed as specifically accepting them, in lieu of any comment to the contrary. That normally wouldn’t or shouldn't lead to you being blocked (notwithstanding differences to the contrary). However, I was also told that if you archived it and then did anything dubious to do with copyright afterwards, an indefinite block would be very likely because it would come across as you refusing to engage or improve.

Another response that I got on this matter:
When we issue warnings we rarely bother to watchlist the person we’ve warned. Especially if the warning was for vandalism, and most warnings and blocks on Wikipedia are for vandalism.

Wikipedia’s anti vandalism processes are very highly automated, and include lists of good accounts and lists of problem accounts. If I give someone a level one warning for vandalism and then go off to bed, I don’t look to see what happened when I’m next online. Either the warning worked and the vandal changed their behavior, or they went on doing vandalism until they were blocked. As someone who doesn’t use the most automated anti vandalism tools there isn’t much point my watching someone after their first warning - if they continue to vandalize articles they are likely to be reverted and warned faster than I can do it. After a certain number of warnings they get blocked, it is a production line where it doesn’t matter whether they delete the warnings or say sorry - what matters is if they still try to vandalize articles.

TMC1982
Sucks

Post by TMC1982 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:51 am

This other editor just left a message in my talk page (but they just were using an IP address) quite condescendingly said to me that if intend to continue editing Wikipedia then I must learn why a particular edit is full of problems (basically, they said that I made a link dump, for which they flat out said that I turned the article into an utter mess) and try not do any of that again. And they of course had to reference my recent block. I don't have an issue with other editors pointing out when I'm wrong, but it infuriates me to know when when they are condescending or address me in a manner which suggests that I should know better or I'm deliberately going out of my way to make a bad edit.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:33 am

seriously think you should back off. Not going to convince that freak you're "doing good work".