Old white man Cullen wants you to know, he uses Desktop Wikipedia on a mobile just fine

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

Old white man Cullen wants you to know, he uses Desktop Wikipedia on a mobile just fine

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:25 am

He he.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... er:CejeroC

Is it dementia? How many times does he need to make the same point?

Anyway, good to know the message of, hey guys, Wikipedia needs to evolve and adapt to the changing digital landscape, didn't really permeate to the old white dude who represents power and influence on Wikipedia.

I mean, yeah, sure, I use Desktop view on mobile to navigate Wikipedia all the time, it is the easiest way for a dinosaur like me who was raised in the last Century, but I'm not gonna sit here and pretend it's not super annyoing to have to try and actually use Wikipedia's myriad buttons and links, let alone read/edit text, from a screen the size of a hamster's nut sack. The number of typos alone, man alive.

Yes, it would be good if the WMF could get a half decent app working, but hey, you didn't sign up for an organisation that is good at software, in the same way you didn't sign up for an organisation that is good at producing encyclopedias.

You signed up for a movement that is good at not listening to the facts and evolving with the times.

Apps are the future. Apps are normal to the future editors, because if you know anything about Cullen, you know he's liable to drop dead any day. The American dream.

Oh, and bonus points for this being a salient reminder that Wikipedia Administrators, of whom Cullen is seen as one of the best, bizarrely, don't see any problems with losing a productive editor just because he won't stop making a minor and easily remedied mistake like filling out an info box parameter for non-animated games articles, when it's only supposed to be for animated games.

THE HORROR.

That such a minor but easily worked around problem leads to someone actually getting shit-canned, is indeed the most Wikipedia thing you will ever see. But there is another added layer of injustice here too.

This is why I keep banging on about Jess Wade, she's a perfect example of Wikipedia's innate injustices and general lack of internal logic. She is just about as mute and closed off to the existence of the other editors around her (unless she's looking for a protector) as this guy was, and she regularly does things that are stupid and need rectifying, and yet somehow, presumably because they want to retain her as an editor, the wikishits find a way around that. They happily travel in her wake, making the same fixes to her articles, day after day.

If it's good enough for Princess Wade, why wasn't it good enough for poor old User:CejeroC?

Does everyone need to have a good cause and a media profile to get the star treatment of a coterie of loyal servants willing to trail in your majestic wake picking up your litter? I guess so.

And thanks too for the never ending hilarity of seeing Jimmy yet again express his enormous frustration at just how stupid and ignorant the average whiny little bitch Wikipediot really is.......
Wouldn't it be something if the WMF (which the public erroneously "sees" as a name for Wikipedia, especially when it's fundraising) had more actual Wikipedia editors in their top administrative positions. Editors who officially would be encouraged to edit articles and interact on talk-pages for two or three hours every workday. Then these type of problems could be discussed by several WMF higher-ups in real time. As it is now, they don't even seem to read or want to join discussions such as these on Jimbo's talk page. With the type of cash WMF has flowing to it they should even consider hiring half-a-dozen or so regular editors, in addition to their current staff, to be open to editor input. Wonderful people like Katherine Maher uplift WMF, and it will miss her greatly. But even she wasn't a regular editor, and thus missed the opportunity of really merging Wikipedia culture and concerns with WMF. Randy Kryn (talk) 11:08, 12 April 2021 (UTC)

This is very much the case. I guess the problem is that the WMF isn't really chosen by us, so we don't get a voice there. If a member of the board came from enwiki (ideally, previously an admin at least) then I think we'd see a lot more of our issues addressed. Elli (talk | contribs) 17:49, 12 April 2021 (UTC)

I'd just like to note that over half of the board is community members. From enwiki in particular, you have both me and User:Doc_James.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 07:35, 13 April 2021 (UTC)
SLAM!

Patience of a saint, that guy. Patience of a SAINT. :lol: