SlimVirgin dies

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: SlimVirgin dies

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:23 am

Yes, I'd wait a while before plunging into that mess.

And if anyone reading this is wondering why Slim was such a rotten administrator: read CLA68's RFA from 2007. It speaks volumes. The "attack site" she and her enablers shrieked endlessly about was Judd Bagley's blog, where he spilled all the beans about "Mantanmoreland", aka Gary Weiss, a truly abusive editor and stock-market manipulator with the full protection of the "nonexistent cabal" of Wikipedia. We should start another thread if you want to talk about Weiss. It is a long and ugly story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ship/Cla68

SkepticalHistorian
Sucks Fan

Post by SkepticalHistorian » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:44 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:23 am
Yes, I'd wait a while before plunging into that mess.

And if anyone reading this is wondering why Slim was such a rotten administrator: read CLA68's RFA from 2007. It speaks volumes. The "attack site" she and her enablers shrieked endlessly about was Judd Bagley's blog, where he spilled all the beans about "Mantanmoreland", aka Gary Weiss, a truly abusive editor and stock-market manipulator with the full protection of the "nonexistent cabal" of Wikipedia. We should start another thread if you want to talk about Weiss. It is a long and ugly story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ship/Cla68
Interesting blog, especially this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20081226221 ... .net/?p=29

Problem with people is they’re bigoted; knee-jerk reactions and visceral hate rather than being calm, open minded and rational. SV was either an ignorant bigot or had an [Zionist] agenda. There are many spooks and devils on WP.

Funny she was interested in Rudolf Vrba, who incredibly escaped from Auschwitz. Also Ezra Pound.

Daniel Brandt
Sucks

Post by Daniel Brandt » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:29 pm

I think one way to approach this is to locate Steve Gibb in Saskatoon to see if he has anything to say. Does he have any wedding pics from 2001, for example? I'm not going to mess with it for a couple of months unless something breaks between now and then.

It's hard to search for him; Gibb is a common name. Here are some hints:

1) If you are looking for Stephen Gibb (with the "ph" in the name), that's not him. That guy is the son of a Bee Gees rock star, and is all over the place on the web, usually pictured with his guitar.

2) When "Steve Gibb" is listed, it might be Stephen Gibb and not Steven Gibb. You first have to establish who you are dealing with.

3) Even if you are locking onto a non-rockstar in Saskatoon, you might be wasting your time. You really want "Steve K Gibb" because the "K" is what he used on several staff boxes in the newspaper where he was editor or chief editor for 17 years -- the "Star Phoenix" or "StarPhoenix" (no space) at "thestarphoenix.com" in Saskatoon. This is where Sarah Gibb's articles appeared around 2004, plus or minus a couple of years.

4) The only thing I've found so far is this:

Steve K Gibb, (306) 373-4125, 25 Cantlon Crescent, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7J 2T2

(Note that on official city records, "Cantlon Crescent" if often abbreviated as "Cantlon Cres".)

I don't plan on calling that number anytime soon.

I don't recommend calling Mr. Gibb, but if you do you can say that you're interested in a couple pieces of his artwork, and ask if they are still available and how much they cost.

Also, be aware that both Bing (Microsoft's search engine) and Google are crawling this thread already.

If you find something interesting, please post the link where you found it. Use a fake name if you like; the owner of this site will probably not mind if your information is verifiable from a link you provide.

Cla68
Sucks

Post by Cla68 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:34 pm

SkepticalHistorian wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:44 am

Interesting blog, especially this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20081226221 ... .net/?p=29
One detail in Byrne's account which stands out is that he said that SV was Canadian, with one English parent, and that she usually spoke in either a Canadian, or an affected English accent. That is at odds with her obituary, which says she was born in Scotland, and implies that she was raised there, although it's possible she was raised in Canada, I guess. However, I've been told that she spoke with a Scottish accent. Alison, one of the regulars at Wikipedia Review, stated that she had a video chat with SV, but I don't recall her saying what kind of accent she had.

Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:31 pm

One English parent, born in Scotland, raised (and therefore naturalised) in Canada?

Believe it or not, for a certain generation, that's not an exactly unique life story, certainly for families in the services.

And it's not like that nominal person would have any difficulty switching between English, Scottish and Candian accents, depending on what company they're in.

Alison
Sucks

Post by Alison » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:10 pm

Cla68 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:34 pm
One detail in Byrne's account which stands out is that he said that SV was Canadian, with one English parent, and that she usually spoke in either a Canadian, or an affected English accent. That is at odds with her obituary, which says she was born in Scotland, and implies that she was raised there, although it's possible she was raised in Canada, I guess. However, I've been told that she spoke with a Scottish accent. Alison, one of the regulars at Wikipedia Review, stated that she had a video chat with SV, but I don't recall her saying what kind of accent she had.
Scottish 👍🏼

SkepticalHistorian
Sucks Fan

Post by SkepticalHistorian » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:46 am

Like many editors, she was rude, mean, I imagined she was fat and colored her hair red, whereas I was a slim natural blond athletic virgin for more than fifty years. We shared a few interests with different perspectives (except on FGM) so we clashed. Stunned to hear she died about a month after I pinged her last.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:03 pm

Daniel Brandt wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:29 pm
4) The only thing I've found so far is this:
Steve K Gibb, (306) 373-4125, 25 Cantlon Crescent, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7J 2T2
(Note that on official city records, "Cantlon Crescent" if often abbreviated as "Cantlon Cres".)
I don't plan on calling that number anytime soon.
Daniel: that address appears to be correct. It's a boring little tan-and-brown house buried in a working-class suburb. I still suggest anyone interested in learning about Sarah's backstory from her husband should wait another few months. Suspecting that he might feel talkative about her "colorful personality" well after the grief settles out. On the other hand, it would not surprise me at all if he turned out to be an "intelligence asset" for some national agency, and will absolutely refuse to discuss anything openly.

In THAT case, perhaps his "spook connections" should be shared with the StarPhoenix's current management, or with other media in Saskatoon. They probably have no idea what was going on and might be interested to know that one of the StarPhoenix's retired editors was being "handled" by a government agency, perhaps?

And again: if someone in the British bureaucracy was paying these people to run a disinfo campaign, they did NOT get their money's worth. Bribing Jimbo directly would have been more effective. Of course, we don't know if that actually happened also....it would certainly explain some of the stupid / bizarre things Jimbo has said and done over the years.

Daniel Brandt
Sucks

Post by Daniel Brandt » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:12 pm

Waiting a few months is good advice. There is no telling how Steve Gibb would react at this point.

That newspaper is a real snooze, and Gibb doesn't get out much. Steven Gibb was with the StarPhoenix for 35 years, from 1975 to 2010, and ended his tenure as editor-in-chief for the last 17 years.

Also, it might be easier to at least try to contact the owners of the newspaper, asking them if they are aware that Sarah Gibb, who wrote some long articles in the 2004-2006 era, was connected with British intelligence. You could say that you are looking for a street address for former chief editor Steven Gibb, who is still in Saskatoon, so that you can ask him if he knew about Sarah Gibb's intelligence connections.

http://plainshumanities.unl.edu/encyclo ... gp.med.043

Or better yet, ask the current editor for Steve's street address so that you can ask him yourself. If they don't respond, point this out to the owners.

Daniel Brandt
Sucks

Post by Daniel Brandt » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:40 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:03 pm
On the other hand, it would not surprise me at all if he turned out to be an "intelligence asset" for some national agency, and will absolutely refuse to discuss anything openly. In THAT case, perhaps his "spook connections" should be shared with the StarPhoenix's current management, or with other media in Saskatoon. They probably have no idea what was going on and might be interested to know that one of the StarPhoenix's retired editors was being "handled" by a government agency, perhaps?
Yes, this is the Big Question. Sarah and Steve lived together for 20 years, with two dogs and a busy personal computer also sharing the house. If Steve claims to know nothing about Sarah's motivations concerning the investigation of PanAm 103, then we should notify the owners of the newspaper he edited. But if he knows something, it is important to establish whether someone was steering Sarah's interest in the topic before we contact the owners. The local newspaper Steve edited doesn't cover big issues like this, but that's not what we are saying. All we're saying is that you don't appoint someone as chief editor of any newspaper, unless he exhibits a minimal level of "fair play" and professionalism.

This is not a question of revenge. It's a question about the nature of Wikipedia. Is that online "encyclopedia" a tool of media spinners from Western intelligence agencies, or is it just a case of Sarah getting overzealous because she hates my guts? I have spent most of my life collecting and publishing information about intelligence agencies, and I think I have a right to know. Even apart from that bio of me started by Sarah, we all have a right to know whether Wikipedia is dangerously susceptible to manipulation.