SlimVirgin dies

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
Solway
Sucks Noob

Re: SlimVirgin dies

Post by Solway » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:01 am

This is one of the most pathetic threads I've seen in some time. She's dead, for heaven's sake. Instead of clinging to your half-baked conspiracy theories, give it up. Geez, you can't seem to accept the fact that not only did you get various things wrong but you never actually succeeded in correctly identifying her when she was alive. Time to stop the stalking. Posting addresses and phone numbers so that some wingnut can harass her survivors is just sad.

Solway
Sucks Noob

Post by Solway » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:33 am

Daniel Brandt wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:53 am
I'm in San Antonio and I rent an apartment. I'm not in the phone book. This is increasingly true for everyone, as they abandon their overpriced AT&T twisted-pair land lines in favor of smart phones.

But I have a couple of friends that own property in San Antonio, and the county property records are on the web. Usually all you need is the full name. If it's a common name, you need a street address for the property. Maybe a business name will work, if the person owns a business.

We might be able to find Steve Gibb's address this way. A query to that newspaper where he worked for 17 years might do the trick -- after all, reporters do this sort of stuff all the time and they'd hardly be offended by a query. What would surprise me is if the newspaper responded that they don't give out such information.

I think we should ask Steve about Slim's possible intelligence connections. I'm not in the mood right now, but if nothing happens within the next two months, I might get into the mood.
Here's a better idea. Let go of your obsession instead of thinking up ways to harass her widower about his dead wife.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:53 am

Boy howdy, we've got a live one here!
This is one of the most pathetic threads I've seen in some time.
Whether Brandt wants to engage with another Wikipedia fanatic is up to him. But it would be remiss of me NOT to ask, why do you give so much of a damn? Your name wouldn't be something like "Steve Beer", would it? Or perhaps "Will McWhinney"?

boredbird
Sucks Mod

Post by boredbird » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:05 pm

Solway wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:33 am
Daniel Brandt wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:53 am
I think we should ask Steve about Slim's possible intelligence connections. I'm not in the mood right now, but if nothing happens within the next two months, I might get into the mood.
Here's a better idea. Let go of your obsession instead of thinking up ways to harass her widower about his dead wife.
He said he might interview him not harass anyone. Like you know journalism? Go back to your secret checkuser investigations and throw away your phone or someone might call you one day. Maybe. Okay maybe not.

Fuggetaboutit
Sucks Noob

Post by Fuggetaboutit » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:52 am

There's a lot of nonsense about "Linda Mack"/SlimVirgin on the web (and yeah, it's not unusual a) for people in the media to take on pseudonyms or simplify their names, and b) for Scottish people to go by "Mac" or otherwise shorten their names - especially in broadcast journalism (eg James McManus becoming Jim McKay at ABC).

If you actually read the books about Lockerbie that reference her it's clear that she was just a shit journalist - she bought into a story that the US DEA was somehow behind the bombing and wouldn't let go. As for Pierre Salinger - he also bought into a hoax claim that a missile shot down TWA Flight 800, and seemed to be suffering from several years of cognitive decline, confirmed by a later diagnosis of Alzheimer's so frankly Salinger supecting her of leaking to Scotland Yard or thinking she was a spook doesn't actually mean very much.

LInda/Sara/SV was an arrogant person whose reach exceeded her grasp. She wasn't as good a journalist as she thought she was and ended up going from US network news to a small paper in Saskatchewan as a result. She was also chronically ill, suffering for 20 years from progressive lung disease and it looks like as a result she was largely unable to work and was largely housebound for much of the 21st century - which explains why she had so much time for Wikipedia and was obsessive about it - and why a Cambridge grad and network news alum who had expected so much more from her career was seething with resentment and imperiousness. She deserves some empathy, not the gravedancing people have displayed here.

The woman's dead. Leave her family alone for heaven's sake. Calling up a mourning husband to pester him with questions in an attempt to prove your own conspiracy theories is nothing more than harassment and is frankly contemptible.

But one other thing - if she'd been a man she wouldn't have gotten half the abuse she receieved. She was not, by far, the worst admin at Wikipedia but she was one of the few prominant women.

Fuggetaboutit
Sucks Noob

Post by Fuggetaboutit » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:34 am

Yeah, I don't think you have to worry about how he'd react.
Loss of Steve Gibb a loss for all of Saskatoon

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:46 pm

Fuggetaboutit wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:34 am
a) also sorry to hear this;
b) why did they carefully fail to mention his second wife?
c) is there something wrong with the Star Phoenix's search box or their search-engine connections? Gibb died back in August.

All of the stuff in this thread is now "old news". You can't doxx dead people, just as you can't libel them.

and finally, d) Wikipediocracy gently skipped over Sarah's death. It was mentioned VERY rarely and only in passing. There's a long thread about Sarah with lots of "poor Sarah" blubbering, and a 3-post thread about Steve Gibb's death. Both in the nonpublic "Too Embarrassing" area. Yet more proof that the place is dominated by Wikipedia fanatics and "cult members". At least Vigilant had the cojones to post an old WR thread about Daniel Brandt's struggles with her and Anroth stated that she was not "universally loved".

(Yes, it also appears that an attempt to put an obituary about Sarah in the Signpost was blocked--by that even-bigger-asshole Smallbones. So many people screamed at him, eventually they ran one. "She was a giant" MY ASS. She was a petty, neurotic, dishonest assbite. And how typical of Wikipedians to call HER a "giant". You may quote me. You may also ask, when in the fuck are they going to get rid of Smallbones??)

This sez volumes about Tarantino:
screenshot-wikipediocracy.com-2021.12.31-15_57_14.png
screenshot-wikipediocracy.com-2021.12.31-15_57_14.png (15.03 KiB) Viewed 3396 times

boredbird
Sucks Mod

Post by boredbird » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:29 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:46 pm
It sez that he talked to her and in his opinion man she was alright. So what.

It's a shame that people spend so much of their lives addicted to Wikipedia.

Solway
Sucks Noob

Post by Solway » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:14 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:46 pm
Fuggetaboutit wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:34 am
a) also sorry to hear this;
b) why did they carefully fail to mention his second wife?
c) is there something wrong with the Star Phoenix's search box or their search-engine connections? Gibb died back in August.

All of the stuff in this thread is now "old news". You can't doxx dead people, just as you can't libel them.

and finally, d) Wikipediocracy gently skipped over Sarah's death. It was mentioned VERY rarely and only in passing. There's a long thread about Sarah with lots of "poor Sarah" blubbering, and a 3-post thread about Steve Gibb's death. Both in the nonpublic "Too Embarrassing" area. Yet more proof that the place is dominated by Wikipedia fanatics and "cult members". At least Vigilant had the cojones to post an old WR thread about Daniel Brandt's struggles with her and Anroth stated that she was not "universally loved".

(Yes, it also appears that an attempt to put an obituary about Sarah in the Signpost was blocked--by that even-bigger-asshole Smallbones. So many people screamed at him, eventually they ran one. "She was a giant" MY ASS. She was a petty, neurotic, dishonest assbite. And how typical of Wikipedians to call HER a "giant". You may quote me. You may also ask, when in the fuck are they going to get rid of Smallbones??)

She's mentioned in his funeral home obit https://saskatoonfuneralhome.com/tribut ... tuary.html " He was predeceased by his parents, Henry Gibb and Nella Shore, his sister Ella Marlene Hamilton, and his second wife, Sarah." - why is it not in the newspaper column? Who knows, cut for space? Maybe the guy who was writing it couldn't fit it in? Maybe he didn't like her? Does it matter? It's not an official obit but one reporter's tribute (apparently that was published in the paper but the paper's obit webpage seems to be down for that matter). Point is she's dead, her husband's dead, unless Daniel wants to interrogate the poodle or her mother whose probably in her 90s and unlikely to know anything anyways, there's no one to talk to.
Last edited by Solway on Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:29 am

boredbird wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:29 am
It's a shame that people spend so much of their lives addicted to Wikipedia.
And fighting over it. And plotting against each other over it. And lying about it. And now, dying for it?

At least someone's getting slight "entertainment" from the shitshow. A rather sick form of entertainment, perhaps, but speaking for myself, in an internet full of utter stupidity and drivel, take your lulz wherever you can find them.