Trolls: 1 Jimmy Wales: 0

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

Trolls: 1 Jimmy Wales: 0

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:22 pm

In a stunning victory for the trolls, Jimmy Wales has rolled over and given tacit permission for his talk page to be semi-protected FOREVER.

Unregistered users can of course still post to an open sub-page for the purpose, but it's always been pretty obvious Jimmy doesnt read it, and has probably forgotten it's even there. And of course, if he did read it, it would soon suffer the same problem as his main page.

One particular Wikishit must have been bored enough to BRING THE SCIENCE to explain the cold hard logic of the troll's victory.....
It's always kind of annoying when there's a discussion like this were people weigh in with what they think will happen or what they would like to happen when we actually have a record of what has happened. Admittedly, as the financial ads say, past performance is no guarantee of future returns but it lets us avoid baseless speculation. That record shows that semi-protection is working. On April 1, 2019 Amakuru removed edit protection. Between then and the end of that year six different administrators had to use revdel 12 times on 21 revisions until it was semi-protected again on January 8, 2020 for a day. The disruption restarted 4 days after protection ended and there were another six revdel's on one day resulting in re-protection for a day. As soon as that protection expired, we see eight revdel's by three admins on 26 revisions until, well everyone gets the picture by now, I think. Every single time semi-protection expired material so disruptive it requires revision deletion has been immediately posted to that page. Since HJ Mitchell semi-protected it with an expiration of indefinite, no further revdel's have been needed for 47 days. It is clear from this record that semi-protection is both necessary and effective and that it should remain. Eggishorn (talk) (contrib) 18:29, 1 July 2021 (UTC)
Thank you poindexter.

Me, I'm more interested in the apparent change in Jimmy's philosophy......
To not be excluded: get an account, use it in peace for a few days, and there you go.
it is no great burden to get auto-confirmed, which is all that it takes to overcome semi-protection, and if someone wants to engage in a meaningful and heartfelt way, with evidence and valid logical arguments, it doesn't have to be done behind an ip address or un-autoconfirmed account.
Quite a departure from the previous doctrine, eh? Where nothing and nobody should stand between an unregistered user and their ability to instantly edit.

Now Jimmy's making out like it's no big deal to have to wait four days and make ten edits before you're even allowed to speak to the great man through the Magic Talkie Screen. Maybe for him. Other people got real jobs. Got shit they need to be doing.

Don't got no time for becoming a fully paid up member of a cult, just so you can ask a question of their Glorious Leader. Like, Hey dude, what's up with this cult vibe you got going on here? Because I only want to write a page for my local garage band. But I ain't moving to Waco for no man.

Or, Hey dude. My kid just contacted Marek Kukula looking for some make up tutorials, because Wikipedia made him sound like a real cool guy. Any chance I can come round and maybe break your legs?

Y'know, just the ordinary every day stuff for the Founder. Founder business.

Then there's this too.....
An additional factor which is extremely meaningful to me: wasting good people's time policing a page from useless trolling.
This is some Jedi mindtrick bullshit people. Since when has Jimmy EVER given any kind of a crap that sounds like this?

So, in conclusion. The Wikipedia model has been abandoned, Tom Cruise can go fuck himself if he thinks he can just swan up to Jimmy and say hi, how's the coffee here dude, and Wikipedia volunteers are getting thin on the ground. Presumably because someone lied to them about how they'd get to meet Tom Cruise if they scrubbed fifty gazillion troll posts from Jimmy's page.

Oh, and yes. The trolls won.

Eat it Jimmy, you NERD. :ugeek:

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Trolls: 1 Jimmy Wales: 0

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:45 pm

ha ha---you do realize that his talkpage has attracted angry and crazy people for 10+ years? My suspicion: suckers like Smallbones, Masem, and others, who watch that talkpage like idiot hawks, are getting SICK of performing unpaid labor that benefits only Jimbo. They have fought like rabid dogs over protecting it before, and they will fight over it again.

Would post my notes on censorship of Jimbotalk but it's literally too long to fit on this forum. I became fed up with going thru it in 2016 anyway. It is currently watched by 3,890 people, including a large chunk of all serving WP administrators/bureaucrats etc. Removal of posts that Wales or the insiders don't like is nearly a daily occurrence now. Traffic to it has been declining because deletion of anything posted is so commonplace. Many of the comments are oversighted, leaving no traces at all. AND NO ONE WILL DISCUSS IT OPENLY.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... ction=info

That's also this stupid and very long "index", which they stopped updating in 2016 (that being the year criticisms of Jimbo became more onerous than ever)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Clue ... imbo_Wales