The Rambling Man begins to ramble. And dribble. And bite.

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

The Rambling Man begins to ramble. And dribble. And bite.

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:20 am

The continuing presence of The Rambling Man continues to be the perfect example to show anyone minded to edit Wikipedia that they really shouldn't.

Currently, there are not one but two recent incidents involving him still on the AN/I board......

* Incident 1 was a case of TRM characteristically having an issue with someone else's editing, but choosing not to actually explain what it is they were doing was wrong, in a rather transparent attempt to get them angry. Which they did.

* Incident 2 is a case of The Rambling Man choosing an extremely disruptive way of showing his continuing displeasure with the fact that allowing users to upload non-free images using an upload wizard necessarily creates a conflict between the need to produce hand written fair use rationales and the need for a wizard to do what a wizard is meant to do.

Naturally, neither of these incidents should have become an issue for Admin attention, and thence a platform for TRM to engage in his patented griefing of anyone and everyone who gets involved, and both did only because TRM is such a massive dick, someone singularly incapable of conducting themselves the way an editor is supposed to.

As usual, the incidents petered out without TRM being warned or blocked, rather he was given advice that he will of course, ignore, as he has always done.

If that wasn't bad enough, and in a sign 5hat he really doesn't fear being blocked, he has gone on to commit what, for any ordinary user, would he a grave crime. Something almost guaranteed to earnt them a block.

He has issued an unevidenced accusation of harassment, and by an Administrator no less.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... gin_flight

Marvel at the sheer dribbly bitey awkward insanity of it all.......
Oppose space is now just a journey, and while I watched this particular trip with excitement, it was just a tourist and advertising moment. If we don't post Branson, we don't advertise Amazon. The Rambling Man (Keep wearing the mask...) 01:05, 21 July 2021 (UTC)

If space travel is just a journey, please show me your ticket stub. 331dot (talk) 01:09, 21 July 2021 (UTC)

I think it would be better for you stop badgering everything I say here at ITNC. If I had $500K I could "go to space". I don't want to go to space. Or "space". Now pack it in with your harassment. As an admin you should know much better. The Rambling Man (Keep wearing the mask...) 01:13, 21 July 2021 (UTC)

I am not harassing anyone and resent the accusation. I am responding to a comment with a legitimate criticism of your argument. However, if you don't wish me to communicate with you ever again, I won't. 331dot (talk) 01:20, 21 July 2021 (UTC)

"a legitimate criticism" = " show me your ticket stub"?? Get a grip. And yeah, best you leave me alone forever. What a shame, I thought you had something, but clearly being an admin is too much. The Rambling Man (Keep wearing the mask...) 01:27, 21 July 2021 (UTC)

It's called hyperbole, but okay. I'm not sure what the rest of your comment even means, but sure, I'll do my best to avoid communicating with you. 331dot (talk) 01:38, 21 July 2021 (UTC)
Serious issues is serious, and not for nothing does Wikipedia have clear and firm rules in this area. If someone issues an unevidenced claim of harassment, they need to either back that shit up, and in the correct forum, or retract it. But for TRM, it seems like he commits a conduct violation this bad whenever he opens his gob, and suffers no consequences. Indeed, somehow he even makes it seem like he is the victim.

Why would anyone ever want to engage with a website that just let's this shit slide? That acts like it's a normal thing, just the everyday background noise of Wikipedia's famed toxicity.

It's definitely got something to do with the Vested Contributor problem. That admin he is accusing of harassment there, the one that bizarrely just backs down rather than calling his colleague's attention to the clear and obvious wikicrime, he isn't exactly known for being shy about using or even abusing his powers normally.

Clearly there is something stopping Wikipedia Administrators from doing something about the long term problem that is the very well named user, The Rambling Man. I'm gonna say it's because they don't relish the prospect of spending a few days with a very angry man rambling and drooling and biting all over them, simply for doing their job.

For most if not all of the time, it seems like TRM does these things simply because he is looking for a fight, and like those two incidents at AN/I, he has become accustomed to being allowed to have fights on Wikipedia, little bitchy fights, without ever suffering any consequences.

Once he has wrung out every last drop of drama, he can go on his way, unmolested by the Administrators. Other people even make jokes about it, as seen at the end of that first incident, apparently enjoying the fact that TRM has seen off yet another editor, someone who has decided Wikipedia just isn't worth the hassle.

If that seems lame, if that makes it seem like all Wikipedia Administrators are utter cowards who lack the spine and indeed the integrity to be able to see when they need to just roll their sleeves up and get dirty in the name of protecting Wikipedia from threats, foreign and domestic, well, you're not wrong.

On Wikipedia, there is no honour. There is no integrity. There is only angry white middle aged men with deep seated psychological issues.

The Rambling Man is just the worst of the bunch.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: The Rambling Man begins to ramble. And dribble. And bite.

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:38 pm

Oppose space is now just a journey, and while I watched this particular trip with excitement, it was just a tourist and advertising moment. If we don't post Branson, we don't advertise Amazon. The Rambling Man (Keep wearing the mask...) 01:05, 21 July 2021 (UTC)

If space travel is just a journey, please show me your ticket stub. 331dot (talk) 01:09, 21 July 2021 (UTC)

I think it would be better for you stop badgering everything I say here at ITNC. If I had $500K I could "go to space". I don't want to go to space. Or "space". Now pack it in with your harassment. As an admin you should know much better. The Rambling Man (Keep wearing the mask...) 01:13, 21 July 2021 (UTC)

I am not harassing anyone and resent the accusation. I am responding to a comment with a legitimate criticism of your argument. However, if you don't wish me to communicate with you ever again, I won't. 331dot (talk) 01:20, 21 July 2021 (UTC)

"a legitimate criticism" = " show me your ticket stub"?? Get a grip. And yeah, best you leave me alone forever. What a shame, I thought you had something, but clearly being an admin is too much. The Rambling Man (Keep wearing the mask...) 01:27, 21 July 2021 (UTC)

It's called hyperbole, but okay. I'm not sure what the rest of your comment even means, but sure, I'll do my best to avoid communicating with you. 331dot (talk) 01:38, 21 July 2021 (UTC)
I dunno, having seen far worse squabbling on public noticeboards. And evidence of outright screaming matches and death threats on IRC. This is just a sideshow in the idiot circus that is TRM.

Even noticed? Whenever he starts something, inevitably an arbitrator shows up to soft-pedal the situation. And that first incident featured HighinBC offering his useless opinion. You will probably NOT believe Mr. Bushby's long, long Wikipedia history. He was a LOT worse than TRM back in 2006-07. He even had an admin sockpuppet called "Until(1==2)" which was given admin power in secret. He claimed he was being "threatened", so the others cheerfully helped him to cover up his identity. A coverup which failed--because Bushby is such a stupid old stoned hippie fool, he edited certain articles in a way that connected his accounts.

This old Wikipedia Review thread about "Until(1==2)" includes a large chunk of the user rights log from 2005-07. So you can see for yourself the INSANE BULLSHIT admins do to themselves and each other. Most of the evidence links in this thread have since been oversighted and are no longer in the database, probably at the direction of Wales himself. Suck up to Jimbo and all the others will protect you.

It's A CULT. A really stupid and badly run cult, but still a cult.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: The Rambling Man begins to ramble. And dribble. And bite.

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:32 pm

Let me cheer you up a bit, by posting one of TRM's earliest dirty tricks. From the book wiki:
Burger King

An ongoing, well-known, yet never addressed example of pro-corporate editing bias. Mentioned on Wikipedia Review all the way back in September 2007.

the bias

It is a very simple, very outrageous story. An attempt to create a list of countries with Burger King restaurants was successfully AFDed in May 2005. The few Burger King articles slowly grew over the years, in the usual Wikipedia manner--random minor edits, made by random "gnomes". Then in September 2006, Jerem43, an admitted Burger King employee, arrived and became the principal creator or editor of Burger King, Whopper, List of Burger King products, Burger King products, and an extensive list of other articles dealing with Burger King -- most resembling advertising copy. The latter two lists, despite being duplicative, were repeatedly renamed and AFDed. To no apparent effect. Total text dedicated to Burger King on Wikipedia thus exploded.

Subsequent attempts to delete Burger King related articles[1] failed, for reasons that defy explanation. This 2008 FA nomination was not successful, despite Jerem43's obsessive desire to please. Ironically, the legal issues article continues to receive great attention from Jerem43, despite its very negative tone.

Jerem43 and his friend, UK administrator The Rambling Man have repeatedly, openly asked for help in creating and nominating these articles, usually on "Peer Review", with very few problems.[2][3][4][5][6]

Jerem43's monomania sometimes resulted in minor criticism.[7] Jerem43 was even allowed to nominate some of his Burger King articles for "Good Article" status, successfully.

Also see Operation Swill. It appears that Jerem43 does his "magic" for other restaurant franchises.

partial list of Jerem43 articles as of 2007 (all relating to Burger King)

Burger King
Whopper
Brad Blum
The Subservient Chicken
Burger King Kingdom
TenderCrisp
Burger King University
BK Tee Vee (links)
Template:Burger King
BK Veggie
Rodeo Cheeseburger
BK Stacker
BK Chicken Fries
Croissan'Wich
Enormous Omelet Sandwich
BK Chicken Tenders
Original Chicken Sandwich
BK Big Fish
TenderGrill
BK XXL
Crispy Chicken (Burger King Food)
Spicy Bean Burger
Monterey Melt
BK Baguette line
Burger King advertising
The Whopperettes
The Angus burger (Burger King)
BK Crown Jewels line
Where's Herb?

further information

A more complete list of articles may be found in Category:Burger King, with a total of 65 articles as of late 2012. And growing: 73 articles as of mid-2014, 89 as of 2016.
Mentioned again on Wikipediocracy November 2012. No action has ever been taken.
October 2016: The Rambling Man was the subject of an ugly arbitration. He was forced to resign his adminship and placed under restrictions. "I'm filing this case request against The Rambling Man (T-C-F-R-B) (TRM) for long-term civility issues. TRM's abrasive and incivil editing style has antagonized countless users [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16]—note how every single one of these examples involved a different editor. There's no shortage of diffs [17] [18] [19] [20]. TRM has been the subject of several ANI cases [21][22] [23] [24] going back to 2014, all of which were also filed by different editors. He has also been admonished by the Committee for incivility in January. [25] TRM is a longtime editor with a productive track record, and he has not abused his admin tools. But he's also defied multiple good faith attempts by different editors to work with him, and—contrary to policy—has handed out no shortage of demeaning insults. His edits are of the kind where he comes as close to the line as possible without actually crossing it, while trying to goad the other side to break the rules first. It is arguable that none of his edits individually deserve a sanction, but there are a lot of them. "
Jerem43's Fark account; he also had a Google Plus account, which was deleted shortly after the Operation Swill blog post.
He may be Jeremy Brown of Framingham, Massachusetts, with email jerem43@worldnet.att.net. Found here: "Lives in New England area of US. He is of Irish and British ancestry. He loves food. He is practically obsessed with editing the Burger King article. He is currently attending Harvard University and likes the Red Sox."
He was criticized in 2013 by a Facebook group which specializes in protesting Burger King corporate practices. [26] "I swear we'll lay off BK Manager and self-appointed King of Wikipedia Jerem43 at some point...just not today..."

The stupid stunt of 2017

From here:

"Here's a story with lots of fun, vandalism and COI editing. Burger King had an advert that was intended to trigger Google's voice-activated Home smart speaker to recite the first line of the Wikipedia article on the Whopper burger. (Never mind whether there should be such an article.)"

"Once the ad started gaining attention, Wikipedia users began altering the first line of the article about Burger King's Whopper. These edits included references to the burger as “cancer-causing” and stating that its ingredients include “cyanide.”"

"It appears that Burger King itself tried to fix the Wikipedia problem. The first sentence changed to a suspiciously glowing description of the Whopper, authored by user “Fermachado123" — a name that sounds similar to Fernando Machado, Burger King's senior vice president for global brand management. Burger King did not confirm or deny that Machado edited the article."

It was covered by various media outlets. [27][28][29][30] And Smallbones demanded changes -- and was evidently ignored. He tried it again on the COI Noticeboard; and was dismissed again. The user was blocked, end of story.
Categories:

BiasIdeologyAdvertising