Why is GirthSummit griefing Commons?

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

Why is GirthSummit griefing Commons?

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:12 pm

I love it when a Wikipedia Administrator gets on their high horse, as if anyone is seriously going to believe en.wiki is a paragon of well functioning self governance.

This was an off topic random comment dumped on AN/I by this rudely named alleged Wikipedia Administrator.....
Aaaand, this is what I appreciate about the administrative culture here. I have spent a goodly chunk of time today and yesterday trying to get anyone over at commons to respond to blatant homophobia and doxxing on a public noticeboard, but it took 48 hours and conversations with 4 admins to get someone to do a revdel, and the account that did the doxxing still isn't blocked. I'm feeling quite depressed about the whole experience. Girth Summit (blether) 17:25, 7 August 2021 (UTC)
Well, for a start, if you had a more professional sounding username, you might have been taken more seriously?

He can hardly claim ignorance here. He has been told by multiple en.wiki editors that his username sounds like a locker room joke about penis size, and so by extension (snigger) people at Commons who have never heard of him (because he does fuck all there) would probably be right to assume any complaints about homophobia from such a person probably aren't legit.

And that's just the start of what I found funny about this utter bollocks (drop the s?)

I'm no expert, well, I am compared to these disphits, but is it not a valid interpretation of en.wiki policy that AN/I is for raising specific and urgent complaints? It is not, and never should be, a random mood board for some wanker who genuinely couldn't even see why his username might be a problem to start whining about a whole different project.

Definitely ironic this sounds like he was engaging in a willy waving competition between en.wiki Admins and Commons Admins. Ironic on soooooo many levels. I'll give just one: would a woman en.wiki Admin have approached this problem this way? With some random tribal whining? It reads to me exactly what women are wrongly stereotyped for - moody bitchy ineffectual whining. Men are supposed to be men of action, right? Don't call Girth if you need to get shit done. Sounds like he might just get sad and depressed and exhausted half way thru. He is old, after all. Snigger.

No off topic moodboard shite here please, that would be sensible policy in ALL cases for AN/I, but it would be especially so when the end result of GirthSummit sharing his feelings, was inevitably that specific links to the specific issues were eventually published, thereby drawing EVEN MORE EYES to an issue where a user is allegely being harassed by a troll across multiple projects.

Dipshit.

Naturally, showing all the competence they are known for, not a single en.wiki Administrator has called a halt to this nonsense, all occurring under a really eye catching heading, even though we know they're usually lightning quick to archive off topic stuff on that board, especially when it's random whinging about their own competency, and quite a few have even chosen to join Girth in his off topic whinging.

One even seems to want to use the highly trafficked AN/I to start a fight with their peers on their alleged sister project......
Yeah, you're not the only one who knows what a fucking horror show Commons is. As I said elsewhere, they not only refuse to get their shit together but actively smear it around and blame us for it because... well, they never really get around to explaining why, but apparently something. It's a shame, because they do serve a quite useful purpose, but in real life I've handled colostomy bags that weren't as full of shit as the admins I've generally encountered there; why they have a raging hate-on for this project escapes me, since we pay their bills much more so than the other way around. The Blade of the Northern Lights (話して下さい) 07:13, 8 August 2021 (UTC)
Lolwut?

If we're measuring which project is better for the public good, a giant repository of free images, or an alleged encyclopedia where you are expected to FACT CHECK EVERY SINGLE WORD YOURSELF (even when the self governance is working at maximal efficiency), it's not really a contest is it?

I'm posting this here as a reminder to all Commons Administrators. The next time your brothers from en.wiki ask you for a favour, send the INVOICE to "The Blade of the Northern Lights@em.wiki" FIRST, and then and only when he has PAID UP, act on the request.

Commons blames en.wiki for a lot of its problems, precisely because so much of their shit is simply spillover dreck as a result of their ridiculous habit of dealing with and any all problems by locking someone out for their local project. As tin pot local en.wiki Admins, they do anything and everything except dealing with a complaint, ESPECIALLY when it's a case of an Administrator not living up to that higher standard bullshit.

Which is a bit fucking pointless when it can take seconds to simply continue your complaint from Commons, where you can actually even ping the en.wiki user.
And committed en.wiki editors who get fucked over by the local en.wiki ArbCom, where is their first port of call when wanting to continue their Wikipedia addiction? Naturally it's the only other project in the whole WMF universe that they have ever edited. And so they go there, even though en.wiki is not exactly blessed with editors who have the first fucking clue about copyright basics.

En.wiki's idea of a higher standard is a prick like Ritchie333, an en.wiki ADMINISTRATOR no less, reacting to a perfectly valid deletion of one of his Commons images on BASIC copyright grounds by insulting Commons editors and trying to claim the actual problem was Commons incompetence and lack of value to the blessed MISHUN.

I WONDER where he picked that up from? The fucking penis.

It wasn't Commons in the wrong, he was the one being an ignorant incompetent. And the bloke never even had the stones to apologise when it became inarguable. He just scuttled off back to his safe space, en.wiki. The famous en.wiki higher standard, eh? ADMINACCT, right?

Ha ha ha.

The price to be paid by everyone in the movement for en.wiki being the biggest project, is they are the biggest source of the exact sort of problems most likely to turn into cross wiki issues - harassment and pov pushing.

If en.wiki worked, if their Admins ever did a good job at, what is it called? DISPUTE RESOLUTION? then the disputes would get resolved. To take the thing Gurth is whining about, is there even a concise easily understood page on en.wiki about what that dispute is all about? I got as far as understanding it's an Indian POV dispute. No. Because like everything, they consider it a requirement of being an Administrator on any project, to be proficient in en.wiki to. But as befits their status as some sort of colonial master race, it doesn't work the other way around.

With no hint of irony, Girth wanders around proudly claiming ignorance of how to even locate a policy on Commons. Amazing. It's only the second largest WMF project, and the only one that is genuinely global, after all. Not like it should be something they should just be able to pick up, as a basic competency, right?

But isn't that the sad reality here? What percentage of en.wiki Administrators even have the first clue about how the site they rely on for a big chunk of their encyclopedic worth, actually works? Enough to be a competent and useful partner, rather than an additional drain on precious reseouces. I'd be surprised if it was bigger than 1%.

A COMMONS ADMIN HAD TO TELL A WIKIPEDIA ADMIN HOW TO FIND A COMMONS POLICY.

Unacceptable. And he became an en.wiki by a LANDSLIDE, he is the epitome of someone they consider experienced and trustworthy.

A dumb, old, arrogant white bastard, with a rude username.

Pay the bills indeed. That fucknut Blade Blah Blah reads like he is from a different Century. In terms of Movement strategy and funding, it hasn't been about en.wiki alone for over a decade, and WMF people avoid hanging their hat on en.wiki, because all the famous scandals, came from Wikipedia, as far as the public is concerned.

The WMF loves Commons, because it's pretty fucking easy to explain what use it is to the world. Anyone and everyone can find and use an image, for free, and it's easy to use, and almost as easy to contribute yourself.

It's a separate project for two simple reasons. One, it is multilingual. Two, it has a use beyond being an image repository for en.wiki alone.

All tough concepts for en.wiki to get their heads around.