Wikipeidans laugh up the fact Admin is a job for life

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

Wikipeidans laugh up the fact Admin is a job for life

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:24 pm

I don't know what I was thinking, but imagine my fallen crest when I read this with the expectation said Admin was about to say he was planning to submit himself to a proper RfA, to legitimise his status....
Coming up on 20 years as an admin

I just got my 20 year editor badge, and I'll be coming up on 20 years as an admin in Feb next year. I was one of the admins who just got appointed by Jimbo, there was no RFA process back then (RFA emerged around 2004), There were no admins before Feb 2002 because the software didn't support it. (If we needed to delete something, Tim Shell would write a SQL script against the database. It was a different time, that's for sure.) Anyway, you'd be surprised how little has changed - the software improved, procedures were tightened, but the arguing, the debates... yeah, all basically the same. Anyway, here's to another 20 years. Manning (talk) 23:01, 7 December 2021 (UTC)
So far, the wikishits are all high fiving, like this is something to be celebrated!

This is the real world equivalent of a deputy in the Old West being successively grandfathered into SWAT, and celebrating his 200th year anniversary.

The badge is the badge. Authoritah.

And don't read too much into how that analogy presupposes current Wikipedia law enforcement is modern, the place is still pretty medieval, rule of law being no exception.

Fucking wierd. :?

It is what is is I guess.

:shrug:

A bunch of immature techbro fucks, playing at serious stuff.

For super irony this was posted on the Admin's Noticebaord (and use of that noticeboard for a triviality like soliciting his own birthday greeting is a mark of how out of touch this guy is), DIRECTLY BELOW a section announcing a rare reform of the Admin role. What had been changed? Absolutely nothing of import.

Are you surprised?

Me neither.