TerranceDC

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
badmachine
Sucker

TerranceDC

Post by badmachine » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:54 am

found this on the talk page for the murders of Gary Matson and Winfield Mowder, which was crossposted to several usertalkpages. the contributor is TerranceDC, apparently a gayman from DC, going by their userpage. they stopped contributing to wikipedia in September 2012, after about five years (with a large gap between 2010 and September 2012) when something prompted them to post the following to several user talkpages: link
=== Go Ahead and Delete Them All ===

I am no longer an active contributor to Wikipedia. I haven't been for years. I stopped adding hate crimes cases to Wikipedia when I realized the notability requirement negated the very cases I wanted to highlight. (I should note that the [[Nizah Morris]] article slated for deletion appeared on the front page of Wikipedia in the "Did You Know" box, FWIW -- which is apparently not much.) Instead I established my own freestanding site, where I can post and update entries on these crimes. I'd mention the site here, but that would be self-promotion.

I started this project because I was writing a post about hate crimes, and went to Wikipedia as a resource. I realized that of the cases I wanted to cover, only a handful were entered into Wikipedia. To look at Wikipedia, one would think that hate crimes are I set about trying to change that and -- as you've no doubt seen -- got pretty far before I started running into the notability guidelines, and started seeing entries removed. I quickly abandoned Wikipedia for reasons I'll spell out below.

These are cases that are virtually unknown, because they never made major headlines, catalyzed public response, caused major legislation, etc. The names and faces of the victims are unknown to most people. News articles about the crimes committed against them never got reported beyond local media, and have long since been buried behind the paywalls of local news outlets. I used my research skills and resources to get behind those paywalls, to try and create a publicly accessible record of their stories. Once I got started, I found that researching one story would often lead me to one or more that I added to a long backlog of stories I've yet to research. I'll never get to them all, but I will record as many as I can.

Occasionally, I will get an email from friends and family of the victims, thanking me for me for making a public record of their love-one's stories, and for ensuring that they were not forgotten. But beyond that, they ''are'' forgotten. And Wikipedia's notability guidelines suggest they should be.

So, no amount of editing is going to make them worthy of note -- certainly not enough to save them from deletion.

At this point, it looks like just about every contribution I've made to Wikipedia is slated for deletion. So be it. I've already preserved them elsewhere, and recorded many, many more that I never bothered trying to to enter into Wikipedia, because I'd learned my lesson at that point.

I've long since learned that Wikipedia is useless to me in the work I want to do. Its limitations make it so. It is useless to me as a resource, as it is unlikely to contain information about the kinds of cases I want to record, in order to make them accessible beyond the paywalls of local media archives, and also to give some inkling of the long history of hate crimes, the regularity with which they occur, and the diversity of the victims.

In that sense, I guess I believe they are worthy of note. But they will never notable enough for Wikipedia. So, delete them all.

[[User:TerranceDC|TerranceDC]] ([[User talk:TerranceDC|talk]]) 15:24, 18 September 2012 (UTC)
he posted a followup message to an entity called "Brookie" (now allegedly deceased) after they* replied:
:Thanks; the articles were well written and researched; unfortunately the Wiki just isn't the place for them - sorry! Good luck in keeping them elsewhere. <span style="text-shadow:#808080 0.2em 0.2em 0.2em" class="texhtml">[[User:Brookie|'''<font color="#000888">Brookie :) { - he's in the building somewhere!} </font>''']] [[User talk:Brookie|<sup>(Whisper...)</sup>]]</span> 10:19, 19 September 2012 (UTC)

:I'd say you're welcome, but... When did it become easier to contribute to the Encyclopedia Britannica than Wikipedia? I have to say, I've become severely disillusioned with Wikipedia over the years. It's well on its way to becoming just another reference site, as homogenous as any other, and only bound to become moreso as people break off and start sites where whatever is deemed unworthy of note at Wikipedia may posted. That's a shame, since it has the potential to be so much more.

:I thought Wikipedia would be a means to counter the invisibility of the hate crimes and victims I sought to give wider exposure. But it turned out to be another enforcer of that invisibility, with an arbitrarily enforced "notability" guideline. (The list of 25 American victims of anti-LGBT hate crimes will drop by at least nine if all my entries marked for deletion are actually deleted. Ten, if the remaining one meets the same fate. Oddly enough, there are a couple I've recorded on my own site, since quitting Wikipedia, including one created by a friend of the victim -- in other words, an original source, of sorts.)

:I suspect at Wikipedia becomes more exclusive, and more like mainstream sites, the rest of us will have to create and promote our own communities.

[[User:TerranceDC|TerranceDC]] ([[User talk:TerranceDC|talk]]) 17:38, 19 September 2012 (UTC)
looking at TerranceDC's userpage doesnt show anything remarkable but "Brookie" received this message right underneath the above exchange:
== Your AfDs ==

As you will note [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Murder_of_Paul_Broussard here], I have some issues with your recent spate of deletion efforts. I was a bit sympathetic to them at first, the articles themselves are poorly sourced and require a fair bit of work, but WP:BEFORE is really not optional, and when you start nominating without even reading the articles in question, it really starts creating a fair bit of trouble. Thanks for your attention, and I'll leave you and the rest of nominations in peace now. Have a great week. --[[User:Joe Decker|j⚛e decker]][[User talk:Joe Decker|<sup><small><i>talk</i></small></sup>]] 17:01, 19 September 2012 (UTC)
was TerranceDC run off of wikipedia by "Brookie"? and would this sort of deletionist attitude work in wikipedia's current atmosphere of LGBTQQIAP+ tolerance/acceptance? and is Brookie really dead or just that particular sockpuppet? none of this is that important but it is interesting to see how the times have changed.

ETA: WPO beat me to it again: link
the thread includes a link to the Bilerico project that was very hard to find, so here's a copy: link

(edited repeatedly for many reasons. good grief)

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: TerranceDC

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:28 pm

Wow, what a blast from the past.....
badmachine wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:54 am
was TerranceDC run off of wikipedia by "Brookie"? and would this sort of deletionist attitude work in wikipedia's current atmosphere of LGBTQQIAP+ tolerance/acceptance? and is Brookie really dead or just that particular sockpuppet? none of this is that important but it is interesting to see how the times have changed.
The chances are very good that Brookie was an admin-power sock of a completely crazy asshole. He's dead anyway (died last year) so it's all academic. And Terrance isn't coming back to WP, and none of the insiders gives a shit anyway.

Brookie was a great example of an "evil patroller" who did very little actual work on WP and kept a very low profile. I didn't even note any of this for the book wiki.

BTW: I poked around in the history of one of Brookie's favorite articles, "List of people educated at Millfield", and found this. It was quickly reverted by David Biddulph.
curprev 14:07, 19 November 2017‎ 92.53.50.49 talk‎ 39,800 bytes +19‎ →‎M: R. Neil Marshman, also known as User:Brookie undo
CONFIRMED
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AutumnLeaf1.JPG