Wikipedia admin DGG has passed away. He was one of the last good admins.

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
ylevental
Sucks

Wikipedia admin DGG has passed away. He was one of the last good admins.

Post by ylevental » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:24 pm

He was the only admin to admit that I was originally indefinitely blocked as User:Ylevental because of a conflict. Others accused me of "making up" a conflict: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... ode=source

I didn't like that he said I shouldn't edit controversial topics though, because being outspoken is important. Other than that, he was very useful in providing advice for notability guidelines and appropriately sourcing articles. After an article about a professor that I created was found to not have enough sources and put in draftspace, I added enough sources and he accepted my submission: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... ode=source

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Wikipedia admin DGG has passed away. He was one of the last good admins.

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:55 pm

In his "honor", the truth about David Goodman's Wikipedia history:
David G. Goodman

As a retired PhD in biology and a librarian, David Goodman (T-C-F-R-B) <dgoodmanny@gmail.com> should be a voice of reason, experience, and knowledge on Wikipedia. In fact, Goodman has repeatedly proven himself to be an obsessive crank on "Frei Kultur" matters and the alleged "openness" of Wikipedia. For many years, he has routinely attacked, vilified and blocked users that he suspected of being commercial "spammers" or paid editors, often with little or no evidence. And being a respected academic figure, his evil behaviour and obsessed Wiki-loyalty has encouraged Wikipedia's "manchildren" to behave in a similar manner. In short, his arrogance is legendary--and contagious.

background

From a 2004 CV: "David Goodman is Associate Professor at the Palmer School of Library and Information Science, Long Island University. He has a B.S. from Brooklyn College, M.L.S. from Rutgers University and Ph.D. from the University of California at Berkeley ."

"He joined the faculty at Palmer School in fall of 2002. His undergraduate degree is in mathematics and his doctorate is in molecular biology. After several years as Assistant Professor of Biochemistry at Rutgers, he became a librarian."

"He has worked at Brooklyn College as General Science Reference Librarian and at Princeton University as, successively, Chemistry Librarian, Biology Librarian, and Research Librarian and Biological Sciences Bibliographer. He retains a part-time position at Princeton as Visiting Research Scholar. His research interests include library user studies, the structure of scientific information, and electronic journal publishing. Many of his postings can be found on liblicense-l."

Goodman wrote this 2004 paper on "open access" to scholarly publication. He has given a number of lectures and seminars on free access to scholarly writings, and in recent years, on editing Wikipedia. [1] This presentation is a good overview of Wikipedia according to David Goodman, but as usual with Wiki-fans, it skips around Wikipedia's many problems while extolling its virtues.
[edit] WP activity

First appearance September 2006, primary interest in library science, academic publishing, biochemistry and related articles. He was also a consummate "Wikilawyer", quickly learning how to use Wikipedia's half-formed "policies" to his advantage, and how to show mechanical, dismissive arrogance in any discussion. This notorious 2007 AFD being a perfect example: "Keep. Not OR, for it is a compilation of material found on other secondary sources. Encyclopedic, for it is of importance in understanding a widely used resource, and as an indication of the extent of censorship. N, through both the secondary sources and the liked maps. Google maps has been used as a source of WP for many things. But if the article is rejected as bing (sic) an undifferentiated list, the same material could be used as the basis for an article under a more closely appropriate title. DGG 00:43, 13 April 2007 (UTC)" He showed himself to be intelligent, well-spoken, articulate, and completely impossible to negotiate with in disputes. Despite being the exact opposite of the Wikipedia comic-book-and-video-game "manchild", he rose quickly within the ranks of insiders, in a manner comparable to the "Pope of Arbcom", Ira Matetsky.

Goodman's May 2007 RFA was a success, as the Frei Kultur kinder turned out to vote for him in force. The few oppose voters had their arms twisted, and two of them redacted their objections.

He quickly joined Wikiproject Libraries, an obscure project which is full of actual working librarians.

Quote: "I'm not here to save a failing project, but to deal with the inevitable transitions as the project has grown, and to find what is necessary to encourage it to grow further. Some parts of the project I think do not work very well, but the basic goal of writing encyclopedia articles does work, does continue, and is far from finished. DGG (talk) 06:17, 17 July 2009 (UTC)"

In a discussion on the foundation-l mailing list in 2010, Goodman had the following to say about keeping records in compliance with USC 2257: "> This seems self-contradictory. If we are exempt we're exempt. If we're exempt we have no need to keep records. We would of course do well to advise our users about their own responsibilities. If we do decide to require some sort of certification--and I do not oppose our doing so-- it raises the question that if we do it in such a manner as to match the requirements of US law, even to the extent of making use of a service set up specifically to meet that law's detailed requirements, whether we would not be perhaps admitting in advance that us law applies to us in this respect, and forfeiting our defense that we are not a producer?"

Goodman also posted this essay on the 2010 BLP RFC, thus showing himself to be an "extreme inclusionist" on BLPs, complete with closely-reasoned justifications but with no discussion of the morality of BLPs and defamation. Thus placing him in the baleful company of open defamers like Joshua Zelinsky.

He commonly enjoys considerable support from the Wiki-Faithful, even in disputes where he appears to be wrong[2]. And in the Cirt RFC, he showed his great fear of "promotionalism". "Promotionalism is a serious danger to the encyclopedia, more so than articles about borderline notable things in general, for it makes our efforts to increased reliability ineffective; I would be reluctant to take seriously a reference source that runs what in effect are political or commercial advertisements." There are few noticeboard complaints about Goodman's blocking methods, probably because he rarely becomes enmeshed in revert wars, and also because he commonly blocks users indefinitely, with all access disabled. This being a perfect example of his hatred of POV, paid or "promotional" editing. His block log contains numerous examples of this activity.

In 2009, when Wikimedia NYC was chartered, Goodman was elected a vice-president, along with Matt Bisanz and Ira Matetsky. [3][4]

His BLP stance may have softened of late. He overturned his Keep vote on the Tahir Abbas AfD upon reflection, "Delete and salt for the next few years at least. I have changed my opinion, partially on the basis of some of what has been subsequently said, but chiefly on the basis on my increasing disquiet over the last few days that my judgment may have been hasty. a I accept the argument of "do not harm", which i consider almost the only justification of our BLP rules. I think we are at present the major reference, and the major prominence, and I am not willing to be in that position about negative BLP. As we become increasingly trusted, (whether or not we think we ought to be trusted) we have to live up to the responsibility that has been thrust upon us. b I think it a very bad principle that we delete on the basis of a request from the subject of an article. But sometimes principles are in conflict, and if this conflicts with "do no harm" and there is no other solution, we must make an exception." [5] "I urge anyone who may have based the opinion on mine to seriously reconsider. I consider my feeling of discomfort that I was joining in actively hurting someone, a more reliable ethical judgement than any verbal argument." [6]

And yet, when another attempt was made in 2012 to recreate the Gregory Kohs BLP, Goodman wrote: "Keep The sources would be sufficient for anyone unconnected with WP., and the article is as it should be primarily concerned with the public aspects of his life. Deleting this is a abject and disgraceful surrender , a foolish admission that WP is incapable of editing on controversial BLP subjects. That's what our enemies try to say. NPOV is meaningless when it translates as NPOV only up to the point where it become difficult. Freedom from censorship is meaningless if we self-censor because we think it's too hard to be objective. .If we are not capable of editing something, the solution is to become capable. 'DGG (at NYPL)' (talk) 18:09, 7 October 2013 (UTC) " In short, he admits that Wikipedia has serious internal problems, but they can't be fixed. Because the biography was deleted anyway.

On Jim Hawkins, "The present system favors the bold promotionalist, who can exploit it to force an article to his liking. It harms the modest unfortunate, who has to resort to extremely public and unnecessary discussions of whether his private life should be publicized here. It harms the people it should be helping, and helps those who a NPOV reference source has no business in assisting." [7]

In January 2014 he was caught plagiarizing onto a Wikipedia article. See Plagiarism#Gunther_Stent.

Wikipedia very safe

"Certainly the high school and junior high school Wpedians I have known in Wp circles have been working at a mature level. I learned this freedom from agist bias from my parents, who treated their children as rational beings who would learn more if given the opportunity. Here, we give them that chance. Children should be treated as adults as soon as they're ready, when it does not risk their safety. This is a very safe place, compared to others on the web. And it does not affect our own safety, because when there are errors, there are thousands of people to fix them. 16:18, 3 December 2012" (sic)

Motivations

An illuminating post by 'Sweet Revenge' of Wikipediocracy:

"He is an interesting case indeed. As long as we're psychoanalyzing him, I would speculate that the fact that he has a Ph.D. in molecular biology from Cal and yet ended up getting an MLS and working as a librarian has contributed greatly to his bitter attitude towards professors and experts. I have this vague, anecdotally based, theory that there are a lot of librarians who couldn't get jobs when they finished their Ph.D.s in other subjects, so went to library school and subsequently spend their careers getting angry at the professors they have to be around who, possibly, weren't especially more qualified than they were at the beginning but, through luck and talent, managed to make careers in their subject area. I've known a couple myself, ironically both from Cal, which is enabling for this career trajectory since they have a library school right there." [8]

Greg Kohs and the 2014 Wikiconference

As described in Greg Kohs Wikiconference 2014-06-01, Kohs was suddenly banned from the conference without warning, after having a presentation of his approved. Goodman, one of the conference organizers, absolutely refused to discuss it. And censored his own talkpage to insure it was not discussed. [9]

Quote from Abd: "Goodman has long been one of the best administrators, in my experience. Personally, I met him briefly at WikiConference New York years ago. Dead, in person, i.e., not present. I think there is something about serious involvement in the wiki that sucks the life out of people. I was planning on spending the night in New York, but found such a total lack of connection with people that I decided to take the train back to my car and drive home. There was no there there."

Further quote:

" I haven't had much dealing with him, but on every occasion that I have, I was struck by the way he was incapable of dealing with evidence that very bad things were happening."
"The latest episode is no exception. I asked him politely by email on 7 June, asking him if he knew anything of the plan to prevent Kohs coming? He never replied. It's not that he won't answer emails: we have corresponded, but only on mundane subjects. As soon as you turn to problematic matters, radio silence button gets clicked on."
"Brad is exactly the same of course."
"I suppose you could argue that these people are like Fortune 500 chief executives. It's fine to discuss matters which are not company related. But business is business, why should they be obliged to discuss matters which are secret and confidential."
"But then Goodman is a Wikipedian, and Wikipedians don't subscribe to such principles of privilege and secrecy. The whole point of Wikipedia is that information should be free. I.e. free as in free speech, freedom of information."

His 2014 Arbcom run

Goodman threw his hat into the ring, and was asked the following question.

"Q = You were one of the primary organizers of WikiConUSA2014, held at New York University from May 30 to June 1, 2014. On January 29 of that year banned Wikipedian Greg Kohs (User:Thekohser), submitted a panel request entitled "Confessions of a Paid Editor." He proposed to deliver there a presentation criticizing Wikipedia's often contradictory policies towards paid editing and to present one paid editor's perspective on the problem. There was apparently insufficient interest in this particular panel for it to go forward. According to his own testimony, Kohs registered for the event and made travel and lodging arrangements, planning to attend as a regular conference participant. At the 11th hour, conference organizers banned him from attending the gathering, intimating through the event's Orwellian-named "Friendly Space Policy" that he faced removal by security and/or arrest if he attempted to participate. This abrupt cancellation of his registration for the event caused him an admittedly small financial loss associated with the cancellation of his reservations, a bill which I believe he submitted to conference organizers. Kohs made multiple requests of various people associated with the conference for a formal rationale of his prohibition from the event grounds, which was pointedly stonewalled. This obviously sets up a series of queries directly reflecting upon your own executive judgment and leadership style. (1) Why was it suddenly and at the last minute decided by WikiConUSA 2014 organizers that a ban of Greg Kohs was persona non grata at the event. (2) Why was this reason never communicated to Greg Kohs? (3) Was Mr. Kohs ever compensated for the (nominal) financial loss which he suffered as a result of this arbitrary last minute decision? (4) Do you feel that this matter was handled properly? Why or why not? What would you do better next time? (5) Do you believe that lists of automatically banned people should exist with respect to future Wikipedia events? How do you square this with the notion that Wikipedia is not censored, that free discussion and free speech are important aspects of the Wikipedia experience? With the notion that free inquiry and the right to dissent are inalienable intellectual rights? (5) Do you feel that the apparent tendency to prejudge Greg Kohs's behavior at a future Wikipedia event reflects poorly upon your ability to handle cases which come before Arbcom dispassionately?"

Late in the Q-and-A stage, he finally posted this evasive response.

"(1,2,3,4) I was one of the organizers, not one of the primary organizers, and I was not the decision maker. I have been advised by NYBrad and the Foundation that public discussion of the details would best be avoided. But I will comment on some more general matters: (5) The ability to participate in a WP meeting, or to write a WP article, are not inalienable rights. We offer a publication medium for those who follow our rules; we're not a government. We are not preventing him from expressing his ideas on any of a multitude of channels. I have given indef blocks when needed, and I would have been irresponsible not to have done so. I think an arbitrator unwilling to block or ban is unsuitable for the position, just as much as one eager to find excuses to block or ban. (6) The community has made the decision to prevent the editor you ask about from writing articles or otherwise participating in WP. I consider that rational prevention of disruption, not prejudicial, and exactly analogous."

Nonetheless, he was elected to a two-year term on Arbcom. And in 2015/16, he became one of the "defenders" of the hapless Dr. Michel Aaij in various Zoe Quinn/Gamergate squabbles, and attempted to silence Slate writer David Auerbach for "criticizing the magical wiki".

In December 2016 he was re-elected for two more fun-filled years.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:04 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:55 pm
Could you give me more background on Greg Kohs?
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

ylevental
Sucks

Post by ylevental » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:19 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Where did you find all this info?

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:01 am

ylevental wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:19 pm
ericbarbour wrote:
The book wiki. See here for more info. We should really create a FAQ for these types of questions.

Cla68
Sucks

Post by Cla68 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:05 pm

I don't remember if I ever interacted with DGG or what my opinion of him was. In fact, I've forgotten about most of the editors and admins I interacted with on WP over the years I was active there.

That quote from ABD was good though, that he found DGG and most of the other attendees at the Wikiconference to be eerily vacuous and empty of any semblance of personality. That's the impression I get also when I watch videos taken at Wikiconferences or other Wiki meetups. There's something about full time Wikipedia administrators that seems really off. I find it kind of sad that a number of gentlemen in their retired, golden years like Fred Bauder or DGG spend or spent all their time obsessing over Wikipedia administrative minutia instead of pursuing more fulfilling past times.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:42 pm

Cla68 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:05 pm
That quote from ABD was good though, that he found DGG and most of the other attendees at the Wikiconference to be eerily vacuous and empty of any semblance of personality. That's the impression I get also when I watch videos taken at Wikiconferences or other Wiki meetups. There's something about full time Wikipedia administrators that seems really off. I find it kind of sad that a number of gentlemen in their retired, golden years like Fred Bauder or DGG spend or spent all their time obsessing over Wikipedia administrative minutia instead of pursuing more fulfilling past times.
That is how you know one thing: it's not a "hobby", it's a cult. Cults need a supply of vacuous, dull people to do the dirty work. And take the arrows when things go badly wrong in the "real world". So the "Glorious Leader" is protected.
The HARD way--hours and hours of digging thru noticeboards, RFAs, RFCs, meetup pages, and so on. Plus watching outside forums full of "banned disruptive persons" like Wikipedia Review and Wikipediocracy. You ought to try it yourself. In fact, I'd really prefer that certain heavy users of this forum did their own WP studies of various scandals and nonsense, and write down their own conclusions. Instead of begging me for scraps.
Could you give me more background on Greg Kohs?
I repeat: do some of your own research and draw your own conclusions. Kohs still appears on Wikipediocracy occasionally. Go there and ask him about WP scandals he observed or was dragged into. Primary source, instead of the "secondary sources" Wikipedia is so damn fond of.

Here's one bit of info: David Auerbach being harassed by Wikipedia insiders. Tell me again how "magical and loving" Wikipedia is.
https://twitter.com/AuerbachKeller/stat ... 6930192384
You can't see what happened on "mainstream media". You have to dig thru Reddit's r/kotakuinaction and other places:
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/07/ ... iticizing/
NOW do you see why Gamaliel and Protonk are so widely disliked? But it's standard operating procedure on Wikipedia. Knifing people in the back and lying to their employers---it's just another happy day in Wiki-Land.

David Goodman was quite good at this, which is why people have such a warm fuzzy feeling about him. He covered it up more effectively and didn't go around dramaqueening.

Jennsaurus
Sucks

Post by Jennsaurus » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:23 am

OMG. I interviewed this man probably about five times. He did seem like a very nice guy and gave me a lot of useful information. He was easily manipulated though by the other Wikipedia administrators and did throw a few people under the bus from what I can tell after promising to help them with problems on the website. He was nice to me though. Sad to hear about his death :|

Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Post by Ognistysztorm » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:59 am

Jennsaurus wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:23 am
OMG. I interviewed this man probably about five times. He did seem like a very nice guy and gave me a lot of useful information. He was easily manipulated though by the other Wikipedia administrators and did throw a few people under the bus from what I can tell after promising to help them with problems on the website. He was nice to me though. Sad to hear about his death :|
I got some sad feelings for DGG too.

Outside the topic and conversely, Equinox at Wiktionary (a sister project of Wikipedia) is worth to check out which is exactly a caricature of a powertripping bad admin. To make the story past the libel proof doctrine and making it fresh it may be desirable to investigate Equinox too, since on multiple instances according to Bbb23sucks, he often used foul-mouthed language to insult newcomers.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:47 pm

Ognistysztorm wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:59 am
I got some sad feelings for DGG too.

Outside the topic and conversely, Equinox at Wiktionary (a sister project of Wikipedia) is worth to check out which is exactly a caricature of a powertripping bad admin. To make the story past the libel proof doctrine and making it fresh it may be desirable to investigate Equinox too, since on multiple instances according to Bbb23sucks, he often used foul-mouthed language to insult newcomers.
I have already been investigating his public action, though a private investigation could interesting too.