[Old] Soap banned/unbanned

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
Bbb23sucks
Sucker

[Old] Soap banned/unbanned

Post by Bbb23sucks » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:41 am

Thought I would point this out even though it's from 2015-2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... and_banned

At the very end of 2015, admin Soap was desysoped and banned by ArbCom for "off-site harassment". Despite this being supposedly so severe that he supposed needed to be immediately banned and his socking after his ban, he was unbanned by ArbCom less than two years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ol ... p_unbanned
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: [Old] Soap banned/unbanned

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:23 pm

This part is worth copying.
This is based on a pattern of harassment of other Wikipedians in off-site venues. As with most issues concerning harassment and off-wiki conduct, we won't be going into further detail. GorillaWarfare (talk) 02:21, 30 December 2015 (UTC)

Well this is utterly stupid, stop saying off-site, we all know it was on the IRC channels and this action was most defintiely not justified. I agree with de-sysopping him because even though he had issues, he never abused his rights, but it was a safe option to take but to ban him is utterly ridiculous...meh, we should always expect the worst and dumbest outcome from the arbcom and don't reply by saying that its only "indefinite" cause we know in arbcomspeak, indefinite means "fuck off and don't come back" ....Whatever issue soap had, you probably (no definitely) made it even worse.. good Job ArbCom (just Com, you guys have no idea how to "arbitrate" )--Stemoc 02:34, 30 December 2015 (UTC)
no, it seems personal, apparently he somehow offended GW on IRC and she took it personally..sorry but unless it was an "actual wiki related abuse", the ARBCOM should have NO control over this...at all. it is NOT their jurisdiction....again IRC =!Wikipedia...--Stemoc 05:20, 30 December 2015 (UTC)

From what are you drawing that conclusion? GorillaWarfare (talk) 05:50, 30 December 2015 (UTC)

Its apparently obvious from the last comment he made before you banned him again on IRC...btw, #wikipedia-en is not under Arbcom jurisdiction so you should avoid using it as such..--Stemoc 06:07, 30 December 2015 (UTC)
I did not even bother to look into Soap's Wikimedia history before. Claims he has edited WP since 2001. Extremely successful RFA in 2010. He (probably male) has been a "relatively" noncontroversial admin. Holy crap, read the ravings on Soap's userpage. That is what you call "deeply on the spectrum". Yet another William Minor sort, doing good work on unimportant subjects. And being a twitching pest in other areas. (If you wanna cause a stir, ask Soap if he's chopped his penis off yet.)

The first edit he ever did on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... d=34360209

Good choice of username too. It makes searches of noticeboards for past squabbles more difficult. Do a search and you get hundreds of hits on the stupid WP:SOAP "essaything". Kooks like this are very diffcult to "dox" or figure out. He originally used the name "Haplolology" and I have very little else to report.

Molly White is still a bitch? Quel horror! OMGOMG! (blah)

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:31 pm

In my opinion there's only a couple reasons they allowed them to come back:
- The actual ban was proven to be biased or flawed in some way and this allowed everyone to save some face.
- It's because they were an admin and the dual standard applies even after being banned.

It's also possible the person turned out to be Trans or some variation of LGBTQ+ and falls into a demographic the Wikimedia foundation and community wants to use in some way. But I think one of the first 2 options is more likely.
#BbbGate

stemoc
Sucks Noob

Post by stemoc » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:41 am

Soap is an old IRC friend of mine, please let him be, I knew what he was going through and i told him many times to get off wiki for his own health and safety, his block was never justified, he should have just been de-sysopped and thats all, a lot and i mean a LOT of wikipedia admins are what we call "unhinged", they need help but instead of seeking help, they use their frustration on people who use the project and the basic rule with wikipedia is that "all admins are protected" so good luck trying to get these admins de-sysopped or blocked, even a few that were over the years, came back under a new pseudonym (yes its technically called socking, but its only "socking" when non-admins do that).. I know a few...some even rose up to Arb status... which is kinda hillarious..