Drmies beats up an immigrant

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
ChaosMeRee
Sucker

Drmies beats up an immigrant

Post by ChaosMeRee » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:35 am

The case of Ashokkbhalse is probably pretty typical these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... hokkbhalse

Drmies didn't get involved until this editor had been a Wikipedian for seven days. But once involved, Drmies made sure they had been blocked by day 10. And after Yamla took maybe five seconds to decline their appeal, they're probably never coming back.

The true horror only emerges as you pick your way through their edits to see what they were doing and what feedback he was getting.

Contrary to all the warnings, especially from Drmies, time and time again, it is pretty damn clear Ashokkbhalse was a good faith editor. They were trying to improve Wikipedia. They were reaching out to people, trying to contact the very first person who warned them even, Kuru, but getting nothing of much use back. They were learning, they were understanding, they were adapting to feedback.

Specifically, by some miracle, based on the very limited, jarggony and boilerplate feedback they got from Drmies about their first edit to the Chapa disambiguation page, they did in their own way seem to understand the problem (replacing a dab page with article content), did attempt to mitigate that in their next attempt (keeping the dab content at the bottom) and did fully explain what they were trying to do, in response to the accusation of disruption.

They were blocked the next day.

In that light, Drmies was not just being arrogant, aggressive and lacking in empathy when he wrote this line as part of his post block justification.....
You keep overwriting a disambiguation article, and you clearly have not taken the time to learn what that even means: this edit summary doesn't even begin to address the problem
....he was being totally disingenuous, to the point you could say that was a deliberate lie.

It's so ironic that in these cases people often refer to competence as if it's a one way street.

It is not.

It was obvious that Ashokkbhalse was not fluent in English, but it was possible to understand his meaning, especially if you stepped back and looked at the situation from the eyes of someone who has barely even begun their Wikipedia learning.

It was also obvious Ashokkbhalse was capable of taking on feedback and had on multiple occasions done the right thing, reaching out for advice and acting on it.

Were they perfect? No. Were their mistakes entirely consistent with someone who was extremely new to Wikipedia, doesn't have a fluent grasp of English, and wasn't get much of any personalised and indeed helpful feedback? Yes.

You would expect any Administrator, but especially a Professor and former ArbCom member, to understand these things and tailor their approach accordingly (or simply be honest and tell the user they were being blocked because Wikipedians just don't have the patience to work with less than perfect new recruits anymore).

I honestly nearly laughed my ass off when I realised one of the many things Drmies did to this poor guy that was rank in its incompetence, was to issue them a "final warning" on 27 Nov, under its own heading, "Final warning" , telling them they had been "pretty disruptive" (not compared to a single day's worth of editing by Lourdes or Willy on Wheels or Volunteer Marek, one imagines), but then went on to issue them a further ordinary warning on 29 Nov for disruption, and placed it further up the page, as just another in a growing list of templates messages under an existing "November 2023" heading (of which there were also by then two other such sections). Even I was confused by that, so poor old Ashokkbhalse, accused by Drmies of "at some point you seem to have just stopped responding to editors' and administrators' concerns here on the talk page", probably had no chance.

This is categorically not how Wikipedia is supposed to be. It is contrary to every policy and general explanation of Wikipedia's recruiting and retention strategy I have ever seen. And that perhaps explains why Wikipedia is a failure.

After all, isn't it becoming even more obvious that if someone is capable of learning what Drmies expect a them to learn in the time frame he expects them to learn it, they are probably not a new user but a sock hoping to become an Admin in two years and embark on some severely dark next level psyops shit against Wikipedians just like him?

I'll admit to laughing at the possibility Ashokkbhalse is a joke/test sock themselves, sent to investigate just how hard a beating immigrants to Wikipedia get these days. Pretty damn hard It seems.

It is little comfort that Drmies seems to absolutely hate Wikipedia these days. Because all that shows to me is there is even more of a chance he is also a wife beater and child abuser, as well as an asshole Wikipedian.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Re: Drmies beats up an immigrant

Post by Bbb23sucks » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:52 am

Good post. Also thanks for including a link.

You should see how Bbb23 and Tamzin treat non-native speakers:
https://wikipediasucks.co/forum/viewtop ... 926#p26140
https://wikipediasucks.co/forum/viewtop ... =80#p25294
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.