Category:Requests for unblock is a sign of Wikipedia's general decay

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
ChaosMeRee
Sucker

Category:Requests for unblock is a sign of Wikipedia's general decay

Post by ChaosMeRee » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:46 pm

Rather amusingly, there is a notice at the top of Category:Requests for unblock that says the category is backlogged. The notice hides itself when the number of requests is 15 or below.

I don't think that notice has hidden itself in a very long time. The category is currently hovering around 60, and this is after a recent drive to clear it.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... backlogged
CAT:UNBLOCK is quite backlogged

Not to pile on requests but quite frankly we could use help on reviewing unblock requests; there's been well north of 100 open requests for some time. I've reviewed most of them at least once so I'm technically not supposed to again, but I have closed some very clear, obvious ones. 331dot (talk) 14:23, 5 January 2024 (UTC)
The thread makes for depressing reading if you're a Wikipedian.

The shortage of Administrators, specifically ones who want to do some actual hard work, is clearly affecting this critical process. It is already very easy to get yourself inadvertently blocked due to Wikipedia's insane hostility and bureaucracy. Rather obviously, significant delays in having such things rectified, costs Wikipedia in reputation and recruitment.

The situation has got so bad, none other than NewYorkBrad has said he is going to help out......

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 1196944204
Update: ASmallMapleLeaf has now posted an unblock request, which I am reviewing. I have invited El C, as the blocking administrator, to comment on the request. Anyone else can of course also comment, but there is no need to repeat everything already posted on this page, which I have read. Newyorkbrad (talk) 17:03, 18 January 2024 (UTC)[reply]

If Newyorkbrad has started patrolling CAT:UNBLOCK, that's a cause for celebration certainly. What will this be *checks notes* their first unblock in over two years, and third since 2017? Certainly and interesting case to resume with. But—as the feller said—'let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream', just before his head got wet. ——Serial 22:41, 18 January 2024 (UTC)

[reply]I've called for more attention to CAT:UNBLOCK in the past and will try to give that queue more attention in the future. In fact, to make a more specific commitment, I'll plan to review some of the pending requests this weekend. In this particular instance, though, it was more a matter of my "patrolling" this review page. Regards, Newyorkbrad (talk) 23:02, 18 January 2024 (UTC)
ASmallMapleLeaf is of course still waiting for their review at time of writing. They filed it over 36 hours ago.

It's not a very tough appeal to rule on. The policy "assume good faith" makes it very clear this user got totally shafted. The fact the blocker has found himself conveniently lacking time for Wikipedia business the moment NewYorkBrad made it clear he was bringing his heavyweight spectacles to the appeal, is pretty damning.

Maybe this is how the backlog finally gets cleared? Stop the cowboys even blocking people, by making it known their routine acts of abuse are going to be reviewed by a heavyweight mind, not a dipshit like 331dot or Yamla.