Arbcom Candidate 2018: BU Rob13

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Arbcom Candidate 2018: BU Rob13

Post by Kumioko » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:16 am

Well it looks like my Miss Cleo impression was spot on!
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia%3AArbitration_Committee_Elections_December_2017%2FCandidates&type=revision&diff=810568221&oldid=810406267

"I'm an experienced administrator" Technically true since he didn't say how MUCH experience but I so hope someone calls him out on that very obvious embellishment! Unless of course he is saying he was an admin prior to his current account that is.
#BbbGate

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Arbcom Candidate 2018: BU Rob13

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:45 pm

Kumioko wrote:Unless of course he is saying he was an admin prior to his current account that is.

The chances that he is a sockpuppet operator are pretty damn good. You would be amazed to know how many past admins turned out to be socks. And even a few present-day ones. Hu12, anybody? Or perhaps you like Someguy1221 better?

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:15 am

Yeah it's so obviously a sock it's staggering. Aside from the obvious from his early edits, I believe an argument could be made that BU stands for Banned User and is a jab at the naive community members who didn't catch it. Then there is the fact that many sockmasters use numbering to show successive sock accounts. Not to say there were a BU Rob 1-12, but there may well have been 12 previous sock accounts. Of course that's just part of it, unfortunately from what I have seen he will almost certainly get elected.
#BbbGate

Mutineer
Sucks Fan

Post by Mutineer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:18 am

Concerning this statement from BU_Rob13's self-nomination:

Other than a few doppelganger accounts registered to prevent impersonation, my only other account is BU RoBOT, my bot. I've already signed the WMF's access to non-public data agreement due to my role as a functionary.

When he says "only other account *is*" (emphasis added), he leaves open the door to "only other account *was*." It feels ridiculous to micro-analyze remarks like this, but too often we see carefully-sculpted sentences that don't tell the full story. Boy, does RickinBaltimore do that.

As for "signing the WMF's access to non-public data agreement," nobody physically signs anything. They go to some webpage, type in a name, and agree to it. I also find this statement a bot misleading, because I don't think our society has gone to the situation that one can type his or her name in a webform, and say "I signed." Has it? Obviously a person could just lie about the name, but I'm also curious to know if people put in usernames instead and the WMF lets it slide by.
I am "Modsquad" here, and participate, but I don't want you to think we can't have an angry argument.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:10 am

Honestly even if he did disclose his identity to the WMF that does't mean he was never a sockmaster. It just means the WMF didn't know his name.
#BbbGate