Dr. Blofeld

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Re: Dr. Blofeld

Post by CrowsNest » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:54 am

Yesterday (or is it today?) marked Blofeld's first month in voluntary retirement. I wish we had accurate stats with which to compare this to previous sulks. It feels comparatively long, but that really is just a feeling.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:21 pm

He made it eight months, if we are dumb enough to assume he didn't just go on a sock holiday until everyone forgot the reason he left.

The Wikipediots are pissing themselves with excitement, so much so they don't seem to notice some pretty obvious examples of sexism and misogyny. Not even the women editors seem upset by it......
Thanks Ian, glad you're still here too! I do believe contests are the best way to encourage wider participation. The 100,000 Challenge has a lot of potential but just needs funding. Unfortunately the grants team at WMF took a dislike to me because I wouldn't take no for an answer. It's sad really as they have the power to make this into something massive with a tiny percentage of their budget but I'm not a 50 year old women's rights activist from Bogota so...♦ Dr. Blofeld 14:50, 28 October 2018 (UTC)
Indeed! How many articles do we need for 18%? If somebody (ideally a woman but not necessarily so) applied for a rapid grant for $2000 in prizes from WMF they might fund it, but I don't think they'll give me another cent. Rapid grants are easy to apply for and given within just a few weeks.♦ Dr. Blofeld 15:39, 29 October 2018 (UTC)
Blofeld is playing with fire here. Fram hates the WMF, and maybe that is why Blofeld does now too, in some vain hope this will make Fram go easy on him. But Fram doesn't roll that way. He's not going to forget Blofeld tried to throw down on him. He wouldn't forget that in eight years, let alone eight months.

As such, Fram isn't likely to not take advantage of an opportunity Blofeld presents him by giving him everything he needs to request James Alexander slap a Global Ban on his ass. If Blofeld wants to make trouble for the WMF, maybe they'll think it isn't such a bad thing if he was made to go away. Therein lies the danger of showing the sky didn't fall during your extended absence.

The WMF surely doesn't want or need yet another example of one of the very people in the community setting themselves up as a friend to women and a fixer of systemic bias, and hailed as such by the Wikipedia volunteers, as just another male pig.

If not a Global Ban, he will find it difficult to be allowed to truly participate in anything official, like contests and edit drives, if it is going to be as easy as this was to demonstrate he is not and likely never will be an enthusiastic adherent to their Trust and Safety policies.
Ritchie, I kept hold of the Hepburn books as I still really want to write it. If I don't continue with it by the end of the year I'll send you the books. I simply just want to be able to edit here and not have certain worries that's all.♦ Dr. Blofeld 09:12, 27 October 2018 (UTC)
There will be no peace for you my friend. Like so many before you, there is a target in your back, you have enemies within and without. You tried running, you tried hiding, you tried rallying people to your cause. You got nowhere. Back to square one, hoping something will be different this time around. Wikipedia doesn't change, not like that.

Learn the lesson of people like Eric Corbett. Wikipedia is not a place where you will find any sort of peace. Your welcome committee are happy only because they think you might contribute content, they place no other value on your existence than that. They will care not for your causes of your personal strifes, even though many have the power to help you in ways more meaningful than a barnstar. If it has taken you eight months for you to convince yourself otherwise, good, the pain of it hitting you all over again, that realisation that they really don't care, will be that much harder to take. Eric is a beaten man, looking back on his time with Wikipedia with anger and regret. Just like I told him he would.

For those dumb enough to think Blofeld came back to simply write articles and avoid drama, ARE YOU STOOPID OR SUMTHING? This was the first edit he made......

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =865568603

This is not a guy who will be staying away from the drama for very long.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =866110834

Who knows. Perhaps Blofeld likes punishment. He's just painted the biggest target on his back all by himself.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =865957574
Unfortunately, due to financial issues and the Wikipedia Foundation unwilling to give me grants or a formal position here, from November 2018 I may occasionally have to accept payment for editing to allow me to continue to edit Wikipedia and put free time in here. Sorry if this disappoints anybody, I wish I didn't have to but money doesn't grow on trees and I have bills to pay, I can't afford to spend so much time here without any compensation. In fact I had to retire from Wikipedia entirely mainly because of this issue. Cases should be rare but I will disclose it on articles I was paid to write. Naturally I would '''NEVER''' compromise the neutrality of the encyclopedia nor advocate anything, and any payment I receive for editing would make no difference whatsoever to what I would normally write. I refuse to bow down to people who think they can manipulate the encyclopedia for their own gain or POV etc. Basically anybody who pays me is just entrusting me to use my experience and skill at writing to produce a satisfactory article which would have been written regardless of them, it's a win win situation. Regulars here I hope will understand my situation and trust me enough to never produce any material which compromises our overall goal here, as I remain very passionate about that.
For those paying attention, we can take this as a statement he has never been paid to edit before now. Quite the mistake.

Pretty obvious that he is already being paid to edit without disclosing, and this was likely what is really behind his return.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =866005991
http://archive.is/RxSN2

He can't hope to protect an article like that from scrutiny without the benefit of the user rights and social standing of his regular account.

That is how you do paid editing. Leverage your underserved reputation as one of the good guys. Drop a complete article, not a stub but barely any better, with no promotional text or puffery or any kind, just an ordinary looking article on Wikipedia. Poorly sourced, lacking in any real substance, existing only to seemingly confirm it exists to people who Google the name. Smart people who have done their research knowing that the whole point of hiring a paid editor is to simply get you onto Wikipedia, who cares what the article says, as long as it is not negative, and negative material is easily removed if it isn't national news of a sustained and impartial nature.

The classic mistake was including their official site as both an External Link, and as the nominal reference for nearly 50% of the text. That should ensure at least ninety percent of readers are fed through to the place they really want you to look.

You may not even know this was a business, until you clicked on that reference. Very smart of Blofeld LLC to make sure it was only in the very last line of the article that its current commercial use is even hinted at. Very smart too, to find a client whose prospective article is unlikely to face the challenge of having to pass the new and improved WP:NCORP, not when it has a good chance of being considered automatically notable due it it's Grade II* listing. Blofeld might want to check that assumption hasn't changed in the time he has been away, since I definitely recall some discussion.

Release the sharks, I smell blood.

Dysklyver
Sucks Critic

Post by Dysklyver » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:45 pm

Grade II listed buildings are still presumed notable because there is always going to be the documentation created on listing and some historical significance to them. I doubt that all Grade II listed structures are notable though, there are listed phone boxes, railings, walls and such that no-one should be writing seperate articles about.

That said, Cornish listed buildings are often hotels, guest houses, and rental cottages.

I wrote one once, Eagle House Hotel, they are replacing their conservatory next month, if that gets in the article I will be amazed, yet it will be a massive change to the building.

And Newport Roundhouse was recently repainted and restored by the council so the article is out of date now. It needs expansion really.

If it isn't obvious, I like architecture. :)

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:36 pm

Wikipedia Signpost wrote:Returning editors:
  • Dr. Blofeld, the editor with the most article creation and DYKs, returns from retirement. (source)

... :idea:

CrowsNest wrote:Release the sharks, I smell blood.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:32 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dr._ ... nd_payment

It has begun.

First thing to note, is the manner of his WP:PAID declaration. Nowhere that you would see it quickly from the article he was paid to improve. You would have to click on his surname in the article history (and he doesn't come first, because this was an expansion, not a creation), and then further click on the link "paid work" at the very, and I mean literally the very, bottom of his user page. So, all his experience has informed how to stick to the letter, if not the spirit, of the declaration policy. Very smart.

Now, to the first paid article work that he has declared (rumours of course abound that he has been a paid editor for years, he just never declared it).

Well, I for one am so glad Dr. Blofeld has not been influenced by his paymaster, as he says right there in his declaration. We live in a wonderful time when the following is considered the sort of text that would have just found its way into Wikipedia naturally......
Craft Ventures is a venture capital firm based in San Francisco, focusing on technology and cryptocurrency. Craft was launched in 2017 by David O. Sacks and Bill Lee........Due to Sacks's interest in real estate tokens, which he predicts will be popular in the future, Craft have invested in Harbor, a blockchain company which helps firms tokenize their assets.
Putting aside here the basic queston, why the fuck is an encyclopedia documenting what this guy thinks will be the next big thing (WP:NOTSTOCKADVICE?), the reality of the relationship between Sacks and Harbor is not as this Wikipedia text, paid for by Craft Ventures, would have you believe. Here is what can be sourced using the reliable source provided for the statement......
Harbor, a new blockchain technology company that just raised $10 million from an interesting group of investors, including ....... Craft Ventures, a new venture fund created by serial entrepreneur David Sacks — who also helped incubate Harbor
It’s certainly easy to see the appeal of [Harbor's] founding team, which is very much threaded together by Sacks. Amano and co-founder Bob Remeika worked for Sacks at his earlier company, Yammer. They then joined Zenefits as VPs during Sacks’s short stint as CEO of the formerly high-flying HR software company. When Sacks decided to leave Zenefits and hand off the reins to someone else, they both hightailed it out the door behind him.

While Amano has taken the title of chief product officer, Remeika is the company’s chief technology officer. Meanwhile, Sacks’s title is co-founder and chairman.
Gee whizz. Turns out there was a lot more (or should that be, a lot less?) to this decision by Craft Ventures to invest in Harbor than Sack's "interest in real estate tokens".

If this is what Dr. Blofeld thinks is text that adheres to all relevant Wikipedia policies, and of course we can't discount the possibility it does not simply because he is that crap a Wikipedia editor, then he is frankly WP:INCOMPETENT. The more likely explanation is of course that he recognised this is the version of words that makes it most likely be would get paid, without it being immediately removed by someone doing a quick review to simply verify the source backs the claim. Which it does, just without the necessary context.

Interesting to note also that part of the service Dr. Blofeld offers, is the placement of....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template: ... re_capital

....at the bottom of this company's article. Since the article doesn't appear in the template, this is of course a basic and obvious violation of Wikipedia policy, a fact which someone of Blofeld's experience, would not have been oblivious to. He would be aware of how nice and legitimate it makes the article look.

I almost feel sorry for Wikipedia. This is embarassing. Drmies spends a good part of his day hacking articles like this to pieces on the slightest sniff of promotionalism, and Jytdog spends a good part of his day educating users on how to properly manage conflict of interest. Both do so on the basis the editors they interact with are either inexperienced or on the make.

Will they ever decide it is worth the hassle to do the same here? Or will they just pretend like this article just doesn't exist? My money's on the latter. Even though it's the right thing to do, they will take the view it's OK to let Dr. Blofeld earn a little bit of coin, as rightful compensation for his other efforts, which are undoubtedly not paid. As he explains, it is only because the WMF won't give him a 'formal position" that he has had to go freelance. They can understand, surely?

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:59 pm

:lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... t_Ventures

Look at brave Timmy go.

Is this the engage with the evil in baby steps strategy in action?

If so, good luck with that. I estimate an ethical, trustworthy and useful Wikipedia will emerge from this line of attack, sometime in 2134. August.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:21 pm

Strange "bonecruncher" Timmy can find the time to hang around on pedia, and not to do what he has has promised. A last, final round in the battle.
A estimate for an ethical, trustworthy and useful Wikipedia in August 2134? Seems to me a nice thema for the last round.

Timmy "bonecruncher", your turn, it is about time to do what you promised and to put your money where your mouth is. You stept in that battle yourself, don't forget that.

Dysklyver
Sucks Critic

Post by Dysklyver » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:12 pm

And after the pile-on, he is off back into retirement, citing lack of money from his contributions....

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:58 pm

Yeh, I had noticed that. And I have to say, I am follow now the WPEN soap, and I learn the characters of the actors slowly better.
He is so much stronger than the WPNL soap.
My absolute favorites are Toniballoini, of course or own Drmies, GW because I like here cat Max so much, Boing because he is so immense stupide, he himself even don't understand how clear it is he a sysop troll.

And Ming of course. Yes Ming. Not a Wikipedian, but I am a great Ming fan. Always in the third person, and never correct informed.
But I stay out of WPEN discussions, because was never a editor there.
Look, it is complete free amusement for me. I have and had nothing to do ever with WPEN, and it is not my money WMF is spoiling on it, so I don't care what they do. The more crazy they act the better it is for me. Don't fear I am hasten the day.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:25 am

What a bizarre turn of events. Let's wait at least a week before we take this flounce seriously.

We could almost give credit to Carrite for hastening the hastening with this AfD, but I'm quite sure he had no intentions of forcing the Dr. to retire.

I would have more sympathy for the good Doctor if his story added up. It is hard to come up with a plausible scenario of his real life situation where he cannot edit Wikipedia at all if he isn't doing paid work, or that the amount he would be getting for this paid work is equivalent to what someone could get in grants or a paid position.

It all just stinks of sour grapes. There is perhaps way more going on here that we cannot see. Has he been tipped off the WMF have discovered his previous clandestine paid editing, but mindful of his good service and the massive PR hit they would take if he were banned, they have cut him a deal - either give up paid editing, or do it the right way. He perhaps tried to blackmail them into giving him a formal position or a stream of grant funding to keep quiet, and they called his bluff, forcing him to settle for the only deal on the table that lets him continue his passion. The snag being, he has always only ever been able to have this hobby because he was earning presumably quite a lot from undisclosed paid editing. The year off may have been him trying to see if he could run a sock account to do paid editing, and he has probably failed in that endeavour, but not in a way anyone could make the connection to the retired Doctor. He came back to try to exploit the deal offered a year ago, but since he never really liked the idea of being a Yellow Star wearer, has dramatically ragequit at the first opportunity, in a performance that is designed solely to convince whomever offered him the deal, that it is unworkable and they need to renegotiate. This scenario also explains his over the top castigation of the WMF.

It would be so tempting to dismiss that as fanciful in light of more plausible explanations, but what actually is the plausible explanation being offered? That someone who has made a bazillion edits over twelve years has finally been thrown out of his mother's basement? Or worse, exhausted the money she left him in her will? It's not a divorce, obviously. And it would be incredible if two Wikipedia addicts had missed the fact their gambling addict wife was draining their bank accounts. If he is UK based, and I vaguely recall he is, maybe he has been forced to seek work because he has had his disability reassessed by the government, but even that seems unlikely since that program got for underway a while ago now.

This is why Wikipedia is hostile to investigative reporters. Uncover the real truth behind Blofeld's claimed change of circumstances, if it is real, and we could be looking at another absolutely horrific personal interest story here. If there is none, it is arguably a more tragic story, albeit reflecting more poorly on Blofeld.

Talking of potential PR disasters, look who turned up to assert one of Blofeld's other creations, possibly also paid for work, is not up to scratch for the encyclopedia.....
(cur | prev) 14:32, 1 November 2018‎ Bradv (talk | contribs)‎ m . . (2,138 bytes) (0)‎ . . (Bradv moved page Maal Road Dilli to Draft:Maal Road Dilli over a redirect without leaving a redirect: Out of process move to mainspace - not ready yet per WP:NFILM (via script)) (undo)