Johnuniq for Admin

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Johnuniq for Admin

Post by CrowsNest » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:04 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... p/Johnuniq

I'm loving how Admin candidates are now wearing their foundation hatred with pride. Doesn't particularly need the tools, comes off as a bit of a partisan to a few editors in other non-Foundation related disputes, but hey, if they're handing out cookies, you don't say no, right?

It says a lot that the outspoken people of Wikipedia (whether they be right or wrong) evidently see no value or indeed honour in being a mere editor. It is obviously attractive to such people, in addition to the status/prestige, that safety net of the Super Mario problem, in addition to the whole Vested Contributor problem.

More support than an equally old hand like Floquenbeam, so, y'know, he must be doing something right, to be seen as outspoken while also being seen as trustworthy and level-headed. If Floquenbeam weren't so up himself, maybe he could take a few pointers from his impending Class of '19 compatriot.

Nothing stands out in my mind, except he is rather an ever-present in any drama, be he right or wrong, but that's probably a bad thing - the really good candidates and Administrators, the ones who can genuinely lay claim to meeting the higher standard of WP:ADMIN, they're the ones I do remember, because it's just so goddamned rare.

Whose talk pages he most regularly turns up on, is a concern, since I doubt in his 81 visits to Bishonen and 40 to Drmies, it has ever been to say boo to those particular gooses. But if he has, then sure, Wikipedia needs a load more Administrators prepared to stand up to the real bullies. If not, well, they sure as shit don't need any more apologists.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Re: Johnuniq for Admin

Post by sashi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:32 pm

I think he's made more comments at Jimbotalk than chez Bishonen or Floquenbeam, no?

Johnuniq was one of the first responders who started the !voting decline! within minutes of the AN thread (my appeal) being opened ( Calton was the first responder) and JU maintained that vote all through the discussion without bothering to acknowledge my reply to his questions. He seems to have a healthy disdain for the deplorable cesspool of discussion off-wiki (or maybe just at WPO, who knows?). I concluded that they thought it was OK for Cirt to prosecute me twice as Sagecandor because I had bugged Cirt while he was socking. I also find that though I gave JU several chances to do so, he never did comment on Calton's comments on the contributor rather than content on a policy extension page. Not a good look for a wannabe-admin. Now Calton's lending Snoog succor on Jill Stein & at AN. Looks like he still doesn't read talk pages.

I suppose it's a sure way to end up blocked sooner rather than later if you oppose RfAs that seem important to the "house".

Johnuniq participated in an interesting discussion about including info about the Clinton Foundation's shell corporations for their Latin American/Haitian development work. I always thought the idea of an encyclopedia was to include verifiable info about how the subject of an entry worked. It turns out the Free Beacon was the the paper that first hired the company behind the Steele dossier, if I remember correctly. The author has moved on to the ''Washington Examiner'' so she's probably not as frequentable as someone free-lancing for ''The Daily Beast''. Curious, all that fear of describing the companies the foundation did its work through. In retrospect I should have worded the first draft a bit more neutrally, but that could've been easily fixed by someone with a green pencil. ^^ In any case, it was a delight meeting both Calton & Johnuniq in discussions about the Clinton Foundation.

DYK of the day: The Clinton Foundation en.wp entry was created in July 2006 by a contributor/user named "Clinton Foundation" who was not blocked until Nov. 2007.
Last edited by sashi on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Re: Johnuniq for Admin

Post by CrowsNest » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:19 pm

Perhaps he is best described as......inflexible? A bad trait, but not one that would really deter a community acutely aware that their Admin corps is bleeding out.

But hey, anyone who does better than the miserable showings of supposedly top of the line real deal they just know (TM Kudpung) candidates like Floquenbeam and RexxS, well, by the received wisdom of the community, they must be some pretty excellent Admin material.