Ritchie333

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Re: Ritchie333

Post by Graaf Statler » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:08 pm

I get your point, but I think after so much years "Wikipedia fake politeness" it is a almost impossible where you are asking for. And I really don't know if a polite approach helps. Once Kumioko noticed we where using the most terrible slang to describe how disgusting our thinking of Wikipedia is, and I think that he was right. (On WO)
How can you expect people who are treated for years like shit keep on to be polite? I think that is not realistic.

AndrewForson
Sucks Critic

Post by AndrewForson » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:09 pm

Well, if someone on this forum wants to say that they have been so psychologically damaged by their engagement with Wikipedia that they are unable to refrain from slurs against people with chromosomal or developmental disorders, then by all means let them say so. What I'm hearing from at least one person is, in effect, that they are entitled to behave like an arsehole because the rest of the readers and contributors here are inferior beings fit only to serve that arsehole's superior interests.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:36 pm

I didn't know what "mong" meant until you mentioned it. I had assumed it was a play on a WPO member's name. I do not know the etymology of this word and the OED is little help. (§)

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:43 pm

Andrew, I can not even fake any respect for a group of people who trolled me out, are admiring someone who insulted my in Sobibor killed family, put a complete idiot like Ymnes on there shield, listen to a freak like Natuur12, are telling in public I am a psycho, are allowing that idiot of a Ymnes is claiming my work is worthless and copyvio, etc, that is impossible for me.
They are a bunch of idiots and indeed it can be a insult to compare them with people with chromosomal or developmental disorders. For that people.
But this is not a save WMF zone. Someone may behave himself as a asshole, because there is a reason someone is doing that. And I don't think that is because crow is feeling himself superior, it is because no one of them stops this complete rotten and corrupt system.
Name it frustration, that is fine for me. Name him asshole, not probelm. But don't say he feels superior!

@Is it possible mong is from Duch origin, Sashi? Because terms like mongool and achterlijke mongool are in certain circles common in Holland.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:59 pm

Yep, I'm silly. In French, too.

AndrewForson
Sucks Critic

Post by AndrewForson » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:59 pm

sashi wrote:I didn't know what "mong" meant until you mentioned it. I had assumed it was a play on a WPO member's name. I do not know the etymology of this word and the OED is little help. (§)

I'm pretty sure that the person who used this word has a similar background to myself, and probably leanred to use these words as terms of abuse around the same time that I did. In those Olden Days, people with cerebral palsy were called "spastics" and Down's syndrome was called "mongolism": these were formal terms. Naturally, unpleasant children co-opted them as terms of playground abuse, typically shortened to "spaz" and "mong" respectively, and entirely divorced from any medical application.

AndrewForson
Sucks Critic

Post by AndrewForson » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:10 pm

Graaf Statler wrote:Andrew, I can not even fake any respect for a group of people who trolled me out, are admiring someone who insulted my in Sobibor killed family, put a complete idiot like Ymnes on there shield, listen to a freak like Natuur12, are telling in public I am a psycho, are allowing that idiot of a Ymnes is claiming my work is worthless and copyvio, etc, that is impossible for me.

I am not suggesting that these people deserve your respect, nor that you should give them any. I am suggesting that the generality of contributors to this forum deserve a modicum of respect, at least, while they continue to behave in a collegial way worthy of that respect, as do those people who have been born with certain chromosomal conditions. In short I am suggesting that we behave like civilised adults, not like eight-year-old playground bullies.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:13 pm

You are absolute right, but there are so many of this kind of terms. If I should say, Val dood, (drop dead) krijg de kanker or Tyf op, I don't mean really I hope someone dies or get this terrible diseases. See mong in that perspective, nobody is thinking Crow is saying they are rally people with a certain chromosomal condition.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:36 pm

You guys are great. Graaf, you'll love the story of the etymology of "bully", which you probably already know at least in part in your bones (or at least your tongue).

AF, I agree everybody needs to be more sisterly and poetically wizened enough to advance their point of view without being caught too explicitly name-calling. But as English Wikipedia explicitly admonishes against even the slightest hint of name-calling (I don't know if you remember reading it, but my initial contact with Neutrality came specifically because I used the term "spinners").... bref, breathe...

As such, I agree with Graaf, even if I myself do not always have the courage to do it... name-calling, or naming, is important.

So, in the end bully for bullies who limit themselves -- in their bullying -- to ringing little mongy bells to remind the Bull Mice to come home (§)... by now, you should have enough respect for CN (and, in fact, I suspect you do have) to permit him a little bit of leeway when he shows how easy it is to rupture the kleenex economy by saying the mong word.
Last edited by sashi on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AndrewForson
Sucks Critic

Post by AndrewForson » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:40 pm

Graaf Statler wrote:[...] nobody is thinking Crow is saying they are rally people with a certain chromosomal condition.

No, he's using a slang term for such people as an insult, which, if my reading of his background is correct, he knows to be offensive. What he's is saying, quite explicitly, is that he does not have to avoid the use of this term on this board because there is no rule against it; that he is not compelled by those rules to listen to polite requests from others; and that he chooses not to engage in discussion about it with people he finds of no use to himself. And what I'm saying is that people who choose to behave like that are arseholes.
Last edited by AndrewForson on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.