Nice day for a hanging

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Nice day for a hanging

Post by CrowsNest » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:28 pm

Thread title refers to some other time someone IIRC pointed out how Wikipedia governance has a real macabre quality about it.

In a current incident, it is remarkable how careless they are with the language and imagery they use. User MaranoFan secured an unblock recently, and not 24 hours later had been reblocked. Here's how Guy Chapman concluded proceedings at the Administrator's Noticeboard......
I have reblocked MaranoFan. Piling back into old fights within 24 hours of lifting of an indef that had been in place for nearly two years indicates that the disruption problem has not diminished in any way at all. We supplied the WP:ROPE, seems MaranoFan brought the chair. This should not be seen as in any way exonerating Winkelvi and the 2016 two-way IBAN, that is a separate question. Guy (Help!) 11:11, 21 September 2018 (UTC)
I submit to the floor there is no need for this kind of language in Wikipedia governance. Indeed, it belies their oft stated goal (although seemingly it is only ever Jimmy Wales who seems to say this) that they should be kind and respectful at all times, even as they are showing the door to people.

It is neither kind nor respectful to put this sort of imagery in the minds of users in this situation. And yet it is ingrained in their lexicon, WP:ROPE of course being the essay "Give 'em enough rope". That exists in Wikipedia space, which means it has wide acceptance among the cult. And we critics would hardly disagree that the prevailing culture of Wikipedia governance is Wild West/Medieval in both tone and practice.

People won't be surprised to see it is Sherff Guy Chapman doing the hanging. He has a terrible record of saying the most awful things to people he does not want on Wikipedia, most recently the columnist Peter Hitchins, who he personally despatched as well.

I find it particularly ironic that this week saw the oft-ignored Jimmy Wales have a rare victory in steering his former flock. In the context of teen suicide no less, he said.....
Remember the point of BLP1E, and indeed the BLP policy in general, is human dignity.
....to argue an article needed to be deleted. Surprisingly, it was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... elyn_Davis

The inescapable conclusion of all these things when taken together, is that the Wikipedians have a minimal working understanding of human dignity when it applies to real people, they just don't see the editors they eject from the island, as real people. Hence their constant trouble of having to fight demons in the form of previously ejected editors who come back looking for blood, all the goddamn time.

And as if to prove what we keep saying about how Wikipediocracy is just a social club for Wikipedians, their thread on this block sees long standing member Jim (Wikipedian Begoon) begin as follows......
MaranoFan appears to be a teenager, and not very good at avoiding conflict.
I'm sure he wasn't aware of the awful parallels here, but it is nonetheless a reminder that you cannot really effectively criticise people using a forum, when you are surrounded by the very same people with the very same mindset.

Pseudo-critic Jim quite easily identified the battlefield nature of the incident, which is hardly a feat of analysis. Hamstrung by his nature, he just failed to recognise the far subtler point of the tone. Unsurprisingly, Jim, like Guy, is a Wikipedian who is quite comfortable with being nasty piece of work to those he thinks deserves it.

It is, of course, so much easier for hard-core Wikipedians to normalize their battlefield conduct, when the reward for victory is to see your opponent hanged in the public stocks, to hear that satisfying crack of their neck. Popcorn, anyone?

Much like some have been successful in removing hostile gendered language from Wikipedia as part of the ongoing effort to bring the place into the 21st Century, "Don't be a dick" now redirecting to "Don't be a jerk", it is perhaps high time they put some thought into dismantling their fondness for the grotesque.

I have no hope or expectation that they will of course, as ever I only note it here to show what they are incapable of, and explain for future generations how and why Wikipedia ceased to be, and hopefully hasten it on its way. Dead men walking.

HTD.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Re: Nice day for a hanging

Post by Graaf Statler » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Yeh, Wikipedia has the you must pay for your one bullet and funeral principe, and you must be thankful how easy we made it for you to contribute when we mute you. As long as you let us troll ourself into heaven we will not make any problem, just contribute and donate and shut up and leave the rest to us.
It is a strange environment where the discusion not is if it is corrupt, but how much corruption is acceptable. When you belong to the nobility you can ignore the terms of use as much as you want, that is complete accepted. Just like trolls like Drmies, Ming, Trijnslet, Moira the human bot, TrollyBallioiIi, I-like-cheeseburgers-and-that-is -the-only-thing-I-understand James Alexander are complete accepted. Or proven trolls like Robotje and Romaine. And if Jack things I consider this as normal and acceptable he is terrible wrong.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:55 pm

In a similar vein, it is high time they stopped using terms like "bludgeoning" and "stick-wielding", especially in disputes which have historically seen those literal acts used to silence dissent.

https://www.wikipediasucks.co/forum/vie ... 8501#p8501

Such imagery, even if only subconsciously registering, is guaranteed never to actually produce a deescelation, neither from the aggressor or the target, even if we assume the identification of who is doing what is correct, which it often isn't.

As always, the answer seems to be far less old straight white dudes who believe in "straight talking" in the roles of dispute resolution, and more of literally anyone else, as long as at least half are women.

Seeemingly related, the only time you ever seem to hear the Wikipedians advocate for more talking and less blocking, is in situations where "straight talking" has manifestly failed, and will continue to fail, because some people really do only seem to respond to the digital equivalent of physical force.

Even so, no need to compound the problem by making them feel like they are being physically beaten for having been found guilty of beating others. Nobody on Wikipedia is being beaten up, the only capacity for disrespect and offense they have is words, or the prevention of movement of them. Which is rather the point.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:31 pm

CrowsNest wrote:Even so, no need to compound the problem by making them feel like they are being physically beaten for having been found guilty of beating others. Nobody on Wikipedia is being beaten up, the only capacity for disrespect and offense they have is words, or the prevention of movement of them. Which is rather the point.

And my only answer to them is: You can keep your parole, your words, am not begging my knees if I may return like Kumoiko. No way, they can fuck themself en voor mij kunnen ze stikken in hun trollopedia verder!
Ze zijn nog niet eens een staat een deuk in een pakje boter te slaan, they are not even able to beat a dent a a pakkage of butter with there many words. There Wikipedia system with Romaines and Mdd's "copyleft" has not any legal base in Europe, it is all pure bluff.
The only thing they have is a big mouth. Een grote onbeschofte waffel hebben ze, dát is wat ze hebben, want het zijn gewoon een stel ordinaire wijdbekken namelijk.[

Mij zien ze daar niet meer.

Caramels, bonbons et chocolats
Merci, pas pour moi
Mais tu peux bien les offrir à une autre